Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of posts made in 2014 about using AAdvantage miles to secure awards on Cathay Pacific.

The current thread is:

Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - questions, availability
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:47 pm

Is it too late to book F on CX from ORD to HKG?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mrwangkai
Is it too late to book F on CX from ORD to HKG?
If the flight has already departed, yes it is too late.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
How 'bout the inaugural flight ex-BOS in F?
OMG, what a horrible departure time ex-BOS.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:09 pm

I'm building Alaska, BA & AA miles mostly in parallel right now (all 3 are around 40-50k), and over next year through more cards etc will probably be able to reach one or more with enough balance to redeem CX awards.

Question for you fine folks - in general, which of the above 3 programs offer the best option to redeem on CX (say from Seattle to somewhere in Asia or Seattle to Africa if I end up with high balance).

- Fee differences AA vs BA vs Alaska? Miles needed differences for First Class redemption?
- Availability and ease of redemption?

Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noamaan
I'm building Alaska, BA & AA miles mostly in parallel right now (all 3 are around 40-50k), and over next year through more cards etc will probably be able to reach one or more with enough balance to redeem CX awards.
Question for you fine folks - in general, which of the above 3 programs offer the best option to redeem on CX (say from Seattle to somewhere in Asia or Seattle to Africa if I end up with high balance).
- Fee differences AA vs BA vs Alaska? Miles needed differences for First Class redemption?
- Availability and ease of redemption?
Thanks!
IMO, not only is Alaska the best of those three, it is arguably the best US FF program today.
It has the best lineup of airline partners and reasonable redemptions rates and fees.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
How 'bout the inaugural flight ex-BOS in F?
Originally Posted by dkerr
It's available... one seat in F on CX 811 May 3rd.
Got it!! Thank you!!!!

Originally Posted by SFO777
Indeed. Some posters have opined that in the summer, limited runway lengths require departure after the heat of the day is over.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by jlars77
No need to get huffy after asking a nondescript question when you can easily post "looking for F/J availability on the new direct CX BOS-HKG Oct 2015, etc."
+1

Got it!! Thank you!!!!
Nice! I'm on the inaugural HKG-BOS in J (with an EF alert in case F paid availability goes up and CX decides to release an award seat before then). Hoping work doesn't conflict with the trip.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Indeed. Some posters have opined that in the summer, limited runway lengths require departure after the heat of the day is over.
Yes, but that departure time is also pretty typical for CX departures and arrivals into HKG from the USA. Between 5AM and 6:15AM Hong Kong time (at least for May 4th arrivals, the first day a nonstop from BOS arrives HKG), at least one flight from all of CX's NA locations arrives in HKG (BOS, JFK, EWR, ORD, SFO, YYZ, YVR, and LAX), as well as a second arrival from LAX at 6:45AM. When it was announced, I saw the times and my reaction was like SFO777, but I see what CX is doing and why the time is when it is; it maximizes connecting options across Asia. And EWR, YVR, and YYZ don't have the runway limitations, but CX still has flights arriving and departing at similar times to BOS.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:51 pm

Got it!! Thank you!!!!

Super cool. Hopefully they have some sort of celebration and token gift. Enjoy.

DAK
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
I disagree. It is actually a very good departure time, especially if you are in F but also in J. It is a good time to allow for sleep, and remember that in F you can dine any time you choose. Arrival in HKG makes for plenty of connection options (and the return allows for lots of inbound connection options too). On arrival in HKG you can shower and breakfast then get onto connecting flight.

I've used CX845 from JFK a few times and find that this "overnight" in F is the best cure for jet lag there is.

DAK
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yes, but that departure time is also pretty typical for CX departures and arrivals into HKG from the USA. ... it maximizes connecting options across Asia.
Sure, BOSman, arriving at 0530 is bound to make connections easier. but a 0730 departure would make arrival just before noon, just as easy, seems to me. Are there a lot of Asian destinations with only morning CX service? OTOH, I don't want to look a gifthorse in the mouth. Nonstop BOS/HKG service takes a few hours off my travel time; and I make this commute more or less bimonthly.

Super cool. Hopefully they have some sort of celebration and token gift. Enjoy.
CX knows how to do inaugurals. IIRC there was a pretty good sendoff for the inaugural flight ex-ORD a few years ago. I can't wait!! Uber excited!!!!!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:35 pm

Sure, BOSman, arriving at 0530 is bound to make connections easier. but a 0730 departure would make arrival just before noon, just as easy, seems to me. Are there a lot of Asian destinations with only morning CX service? OTOH, I don't want to look a gifthorse in the mouth. Nonstop BOS/HKG service takes a few hours off my travel time; and I make this commute more or less bimonthly.

CX knows how to do inaugurals. IIRC there was a pretty good sendoff for the inaugural flight ex-ORD a few years ago. I can't wait!! Uber excited!!!!!
An 0730 departure would be horrible... I would have to get out of bed in the middle of the night to get to the airport before 6am. Late late night is much better.

Just one persons opinion
DAK
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It's available... one seat in F on CX 811 May 3rd. Nothing in J at the moment. (this is from JAL website, may or may not be visible to AA).

DAK
I really wanted to book it but sadly the event in May i'm booking for is too late in the month
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:06 pm

It was hard work. Persistent work, but just got our last F seat ORD-HKG.
My OP was questioning if CX releases "holiday" seat with the same last day fervor as "regular" days. For this project, the answer is a resounding, yes.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by zznoname
It was hard work. Persistent work, but just got our last F seat ORD-HKG.
My OP was questioning if CX releases "holiday" seat with the same last day fervor as "regular" days. For this project, the answer is a resounding, yes.
Good to hear. Hoping for one more F seat opens up HKG-JFK in early January. Currently have 1 seat while my girlfriend is on HKG-LAX-JFK. Much better if we are together .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.