Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014

ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 26, 16, 12:09 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
This is the archive of posts made in 2014 about using AAdvantage miles to secure awards on Cathay Pacific.

The current thread is:

Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - questions, availability
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 31, 14, 12:01 am
Formerly known as cedricgerald

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by murtuza View Post
As anyone seen issue where AA sees one seat less than available for award. For example, I see 1 F seat on both JL and BA for 5th of Jan, 2015 from HKG-LAX but AA agent cannot see it.
I faced the same situation numerous times. The advice is to HUCA. It was not working for me. Good luck.
Old Dec 31, 14, 3:23 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by murtuza View Post
As anyone seen issue where AA sees one seat less than available for award. For example, I see 1 F seat on both JL and BA for 5th of Jan, 2015 from HKG-LAX but AA agent cannot see it.
Confirm one more time with the agent that they're searching the right date, time and flight number, then thank them and hang up. Call back and the next agent might be able to see it. This is frustrating especially if you don't have AA status and have to wait in queue, but it's worked for me many times in the past.
Old Dec 31, 14, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Did you make the changes while the PNR was on hold, or after it was ticketed?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23947749-post4152.html

The post above seemed to indicate if you swap the short haul segment, CX may cancel the long haul leg. I hope that adding additional segments on each end doesn't have the same effect.
I haven't had the issue of CX canceling my segments but, supposing this does happen, CX award seats *generally* go back into available inventory when they're canceled, hence you can often snatch them up again.

I would *not* book something I would have to pay a $150 redeposit/change fee later on, just in order to hold a segment or trick it unless my life depended on having that particular seat. Keep it on hold and change it while held, don't ticket until you're satisfied with the origin/destination and are willing to fly as ticketed if need be.
Old Dec 31, 14, 9:22 am

I called yesterday to ticket some SE Asian flights, when should I receive the email that things are ticketed on CX's and JL's end? How long does it normally take? The AA agent said within 48 hours, but I was just curious.
Old Dec 31, 14, 9:41 am

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott,SPG
Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
I called yesterday to ticket some SE Asian flights, when should I receive the email that things are ticketed on CX's and JL's end? How long does it normally take? The AA agent said within 48 hours, but I was just curious.
I ticketed 2 separate awards on CX and JL about 3 weeks ago and they each took about 2-3 hours.
Old Dec 31, 14, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
If the flight has already departed, yes it is too late.
Ha, I was having trouble finding award availability for next Feb via BA/JAL, and thought that its too late to book for an award 2 months out. But I manage to find something via Qantas, and snugged one.
Old Dec 31, 14, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
I ticketed 2 separate awards on CX and JL about 3 weeks ago and they each took about 2-3 hours.
Hmm, it's been 18 hours already and still nothing. And there's a pending charge for [blank] on my CC too, I was expecting the $136 for phone fee and other fees. And now the CX seats are no longer available, but the JL seats are available on BA.com. Weird...

ETA: And now the JAL seats are gone. Maybe things are just taking a while to go through.

Last edited by Superorb; Dec 31, 14 at 10:58 am
Old Dec 31, 14, 11:59 am

Another data point:

I booked CX F using Avios points two weeks ago and the ticketing process took 3-4 hours.

I booked another CX F using AA points 4 days ago and it took 3 days to ticket.

Maybe busy in the holiday season.
Old Dec 31, 14, 12:03 pm

Programs: SW A-List and HH Diamond
One more data point:

I booked two J tickets for Nov 2015 on Dec-23 using AA miles. They didn't ticket until Dec-30.
Old Dec 31, 14, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by neuro0 View Post
It is all zeroed out on and after 3/11/15. No official notice yet!
I checked my CX ORD-HKG award ticket in April. Looks like they moved me to the afternoon flight. Never notified me.
Old Dec 31, 14, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AwardBee View Post
I would *not* book something I would have to pay a $150 redeposit/change fee later on, just in order to hold a segment or trick it unless my life depended on having that particular seat. Keep it on hold and change it while held, don't ticket until you're satisfied with the origin/destination and are willing to fly as ticketed if need be.
How long will AA keep a hold on award seat on CX? Since you have to book as one ways, if you get your outbound flights but need inbound 2 weeks later and the booking date is not open yet, will AA hold the outbound segment for 2 weeks? I'd hate to find myself in the position of being able to get to my vacation destination but not being able to get home. I don't have status and would have to pay the redeposit/change fee. Since I will be using 2 AA accounts for my vacation trip award tickets I'd have to pay 2 fees.
Old Dec 31, 14, 5:12 pm
Formerly known as cedricgerald

Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
How long will AA keep a hold on award seat on CX? Since you have to book as one ways, if you get your outbound flights but need inbound 2 weeks later and the booking date is not open yet, will AA hold the outbound segment for 2 weeks? I'd hate to find myself in the position of being able to get to my vacation destination but not being able to get home. I don't have status and would have to pay the redeposit/change fee. Since I will be using 2 AA accounts for my vacation trip award tickets I'd have to pay 2 fees.
5 days hold. May sometimes can get extended a little.
Old Dec 31, 14, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...will AA hold the outbound segment for 2 weeks?
No chance.
Old Dec 31, 14, 7:24 pm

As others said, it is 5 days max for the hold, although when your hold expires and the seat goes back into inventory, you can re-hold again. Also, if you're willing to take a small chance, I've actually *flown* an outbound to Asia without the return booked, or at most with a dummy itinerary so I could show I had an onward ticket (for countries like Singapore that like to see it).

And within the few days before the return departure, I've *never* failed to secure an excellent redemption heading back to the US, because as I mentioned earlier, CX releases the majority of their unsold premium seats within 2 weeks of departure, and sometimes within 2-5 days, with availability changing by the hour.

It can make your trip a bit stressful, but in general, I've never been stuck in Asia without a return, and I've personally made 3 CX award trips to Asia in the last year where the return was booked last minute, just as I've described.
Old Dec 31, 14, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AwardBee View Post
As others said, it is 5 days max for the hold, although when your hold expires and the seat goes back into inventory, you can re-hold again. Also, if you're willing to take a small chance, I've actually *flown* an outbound to Asia without the return booked, or at most with a dummy itinerary so I could show I had an onward ticket (for countries like Singapore that like to see it).

And within the few days before the return departure, I've *never* failed to secure an excellent redemption heading back to the US, because as I mentioned earlier, CX releases the majority of their unsold premium seats within 2 weeks of departure, and sometimes within 2-5 days, with availability changing by the hour.

It can make your trip a bit stressful, but in general, I've never been stuck in Asia without a return, and I've personally made 3 CX award trips to Asia in the last year where the return was booked last minute, just as I've described.
This is not going to work for Susiesan knowing her fame in CX forum from a few years back, asking questions and worrying stuff a year before she actually was able to book anything on a trip...

Joking aside, as long as CX continues its pattern of inventory control, the willingness to wait for award seats open up thus able to change to more desirable date(s), works very well. The danger lies in, when and if CX changes its practice. Then Susiesan's obsession of nailing down everything a year before trip would probably be a safer approach.

I do agree that it is very unlikely one would be stranded in Asia, giving there re alternatives, albeit may not be CX nor direct flights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: