Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of posts made in 2014 about using AAdvantage miles to secure awards on Cathay Pacific.

The current thread is:

Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - questions, availability
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by dyung
How long do award tickets on CX generally take to ticket? I made a reservation for a flight tomorrow a few hours ago and it still hasn't ticketed. Should I be worried? On AA.com it says my tickets are requested while CX says confirmed but not ticketed.
Mine took about 90 minutes. It was on a weekday about a month ago.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Originally Posted by goober153
Then my question is, is the agent wrong, or anything I can do to get them to see the availability? She did mention an opening 2 days later but I can't do that.
Originally Posted by Majuki
Keep checking and calling back at regular intervals. There are discrepancies among the various partners and what their systems say is available for redemption.
Agreed. Some of these seats seem to come to AA after a small delay-- be it hours or days-- others seem to take longer. A few seem to either never come up or-- far, far, far more often/likely open too close to date of flight to be of use for some/many.

But, for sure, as the flight date approaches, things open wide up-- and rather reliably/predictably at that.
Completely true, called tonight and they saw the availability! Thanks for the help!!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Completely true, called tonight and they saw the availability! Thanks for the help!!
I'm glad you were able to get the booking made!

It really is a game of hang up and call again (HUCA). A friend of mine was trying to book ORD-HKG, and BA was showing CX F available, but the AAgent was trying to steer him ORD-DFW-HKG on AA flights. It was almost insulting because the only thing showing up was an AAnytime award in Y for 85,000 miles. "Yes, I would like to book that versus CX F nonstop for only 67,500 miles." After additional searching the agent came back and said that the CX F award was indeed available.

I'm torn about being able to book all partner awards online because having these awards available online means that they're available for the taking. Those of us in the know are still able to book CX F with relative ease. I do feel like QF premium awards have been harder to come by since they became available online, but I don't think QF is quite as systematic as CX about releasing award inventory.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Agreed. I once got caught for days in the queue because the agent didn't take the secret code when asking for credit card details.
Thanks. To follow up, I called back multiple times, and it seems the holdup was in verification. Once that finally finished, it then took another 1-2 hours to ticket, and luckily was ticketed T-7 hours to departure! I was really relieved when the ticket was finally issued!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:06 am
Suspended

Very glad to hear it!

... I do feel like QF premium awards have been harder to come by since they became available online, but I don't think QF is quite as systematic as CX about releasing award inventory.
Yeah, that's an important distinction as you mention; QF has never been even close to CX in releasing unsold seats to award inventory so methodically and predictably. In fact, I think I'd put the two carriers on the exact opposite end of the spectrum in this regard.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:16 pm

I've noticed that CX doesn't appear to follow the standard procedure in releasing unsold seats close to departure on the HKG-HND route. Lots of flights with 5+ F seats and 9+ J seats on the 744, and even <24 hours out there's zero or one award seat open. Very frustrating.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Having been following this thread for 9+ months and learning the "system"....Question.

On the CX.com site do the first class seats with an "x" (for occupied) on the seat map corrospond with actual availability?

I have watched my flight go from 4 "x" out ( and 2 open white seats) to all "x" out (meaning supposedly sold out)....BUT CX.com will still sell a first class seat AND Orbitz.com shows "4 first class seats still avail"....so again is the seat map on CX.com linked to actual left?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tasnam
Having been following this thread for 9+ months and learning the "system"....Question.

On the CX.com site do the first class seats with an "x" (for occupied) on the seat map corrospond with actual availability?

I have watched my flight go from 4 "x" out ( and 2 open white seats) to all "x" out (meaning supposedly sold out)....BUT CX.com will still sell a first class seat AND Orbitz.com shows "4 first class seats still avail"....so again is the seat map on CX.com linked to actual left?
You need expertflyer to see which seats are actually occupied and which are merely blocked from being assigned online.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
You need expertflyer to see which seats are actually occupied and which are merely blocked from being assigned online.

I hate to be "one of those" guys on flyertalk....but could some one check:

CX 840 Dec 31 HKG-JFK First class.....would really be super appreciative and won't ask any more dumb questions on this as I leave in 4 days and just need one First seat.

Again THANK YOU all so much
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:08 pm

CX 840 Dec 31 HKG-JFK First class.....would really be super appreciative and won't ask any more dumb questions on this as I leave in 4 days and just need one First seat.

Loads are:

F3 A3 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S0 N0 Q0 O0
I'd say chances of an F seat opening is quite good! Good luck!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Trying to plan out how I'm going to use my miles. The goal is to fly TPA-NRT one way in business. Would something like JFK-YVR on CX then YVR-NRT on JL still fall into the 50K miles redemption range? Or would I have to fly JFK-NRT on JL alone to do that?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;

Originally Posted by tng11
Loads are:

At 7:48pm PST, BA.com is showing one F available for the taking. ^
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by geclub1
At 7:48pm PST, BA.com is showing one F available for the taking. ^

Hmmmmmm.....called 12+ times nothing.....yet...still looking.

I wonder if expertflyer still shows 3 seats......?

Last edited by tasnam; Dec 28, 2014 at 3:27 am
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
I'm glad you were able to get the booking made!

It really is a game of hang up and call again (HUCA). A friend of mine was trying to book ORD-HKG, and BA was showing CX F available, but the AAgent was trying to steer him ORD-DFW-HKG on AA flights. It was almost insulting because the only thing showing up was an AAnytime award in Y for 85,000 miles. "Yes, I would like to book that versus CX F nonstop for only 67,500 miles." After additional searching the agent came back and said that the CX F award was indeed available.

I'm torn about being able to book all partner awards online because having these awards available online means that they're available for the taking. Those of us in the know are still able to book CX F with relative ease. I do feel like QF premium awards have been harder to come by since they became available online, but I don't think QF is quite as systematic as CX about releasing award inventory.
Please let me in on how booking CX first awards to HKG I'd easy, because I gave the agents on 5 calls 15 different dates and there was no F or J available from anywhere in the North America.

Cheers,
AA777
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by tng11
Loads are:

Funny, I see everyone posting stuff like this when according to EF, they don't support award info for Cathay.

If you look at the following link, where is Cathay listed??

http://www.expertflyer.com/sessionlessClassList.do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.