Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Companion upgrade issues
For general questions about 500 mile upgrades and upgrade protocols, please see this thread:Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols (as of 2009, consolidated)

For specific questions about the new upgrade priority and policy, see Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Began 20 May 2017
Upgrade priority is now based on Status held first, then by rolling Elite Qualifying Dollar spend over the last 365 days within upgrade types; see below for new upgrade priority listing and companion policies.

As of May 20 2017 upgrade prioritization is:

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold
Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. Business Extra and some other instruments
  3. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  4. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
  • Booking class
  • Time of request"
  • Through passengers no longer receive priority over originating passengers
No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position (Also read Linking and Plitting PNRs below)

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status, but breaks at airport; must be re-established.
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked" by edit
  • SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance
  • Award travel (only available on 500 mile upgrade flights): lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"
NOTES:
  1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account. 500 mile upgrades are not needed for those with AAdvantage status if the segment to be upgraded is under 500 miles in distance.
  2. Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

Splitting and "Linking" of PNRs
Splitting PNRs: If two people on one PNR request an upgrade, they will not get upgraded (even if they hold higher priority than others on the upgrade list) unless two or more seats become available. Some choose to split their PNR at the airport so the first available single seat will go to one of them. But please note the Companion retains the "borrowed" status only on 500 mile upgrades and the newly split PNRs must be "linked".

Linking PNRs: PNRs can not be recombined nor actually strictly linked as we usually think of it. The "linking" is actually a "TCP note" ("To Complete Party" note) placed as an annotation in the OSI (Other Supplemental Information) field to each PNR. For the note to be useful, an agent must open the PNR and read it.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html.

hillrider Googled and found some public info at http://hualin58.blogspot.com/2011/05...ay-delete.html

Companions summary: ONE passenger traveling with you can borrow your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, youll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if youre #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own stickers.

Older posts relating to policies in effect prior to 20 May 2017 may be read here: ARCHIVE: Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR, etc. (<20 May 2017)

Updated 9 June 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
I am a former EXP, now Plat and have 20+ 500 mile stickers in my account. I am traveling soon with a companion that has an Advantage number but not status. The reservation that I made includes both of us. I checked "request upgrade" and completed reservation. I called AA just to verify that the stickers would come out of my account if we clear (because he doesn't have any). Agent told me that I needed to remove his Advantage number in order for upgrade to process at the same time for both of us. Was this agent working with old information? She took his AAdvantage # out of record and advised that once upgrade cleared (or was obvious that is would not) to put number back in record. Seems crazy. Any clue?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Sounds bogus to me. I never had to do it, but haven't upgraded a companion in a few minths
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Flew within past week with son who has AA number (on reservation) but no AA status. Same PNR. Upgrades cleared together both ways. Stickers debited from my account. Agree with beachfan that you were misinformed.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Flew within past week with son who has AA number (on reservation) but no AA status. Same PNR. Upgrades cleared together both ways. Stickers debited from my account. Agree with beachfan that you were misinformed.
Post #17 in this thread has been my experience several times in the past 6 weeks. If we upgrade in the long window, we go together (wife is P). If we hit the 4 hour window, she is often several down the list from me. It has been variable whether the GA knows they can or are willing to adjust the PALL list. However, the bottom line of this wiki link suggests you need to interact with a human who has authority and willingness to optimize your chances to upgrade your companion.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...status-10.html
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Interesting. Outbound we cleared at the gate; we were #2 (me, Exec Plat) and #3 (him, no status), with at least a half dozen behind us. Inbound, we cleared together at the Exec Plat 4-day window.

boerne, what you describe also conforms to what has happened to my wilfe (when she was Plat) and me (when I was Exec Plat) traveling together: Upgrade together if in advance, split at the gate. So I don't dispute what you are saying. However, PhxFlyGuy seemed to be asking about the combination status + no status, and since I had a very recent data point (with window and at-gate clears), I thought I should post about that.

I agree that there is something inconsistent about all of this.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Interesting. Outbound we cleared at the gate; we were #2 (me, Exec Plat) and #3 (him, no status), with at least a half dozen behind us. Inbound, we cleared together at the Exec Plat 4-day window.

boerne, what you describe also conforms to what has happened to my wilfe (when she was Plat) and me (when I was Exec Plat) traveling together: Upgrade together if in advance, split at the gate. So I don't dispute what you are saying. However, PhxFlyGuy seemed to be asking about the combination status + no status, and since I had a very recent data point (with window and at-gate clears), I thought I should post about that.

I agree that there is something inconsistent about all of this.
I guess what I meant to say is that it appears, in my opinion, hypothetically, trying to put 2+2 together, if in the 4 hour airport control, no status pax on the PNR inherits the higher EXP/PP/P/G without a glitch, but the lower elite status pax on the PNR does not. The fix, as noted in other posts may be to have the GA/AAngel remove the FF number of the lower status pax to reorder the list, then put it back in. And possibly you may have to educate newer GAs etc that such a thing is "doable".
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AA-Plat
I believe that the issue only exists when the companion has AA status.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
I agree -- see 3 posts up.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
My experience as well.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Conflicting reports

My understanding is that as an EXP traveling with a PLT on the same PNR, if our upgrades clear, EXP will need to have stickers in his account to upgrade PLT. If EXP doesn't have stickers in his account he would have to purchase them since stickers can't be pulled from the account of the lower status passenger even if that passenger has them.

Just heard from EXP phone agent that it's only the case when PNRs are separate and linked, however when it's the same PNR the stickers can be pulled from Lower status passenger account at the airport only, and EXP doesn't have to have stickers in his account for this scenario, but she reiterated it can only be done during checking in at the airport.

What is accurate, the first scenario that seems to be indicated in Wiki if I'm reading this correctly or what the EXP agent just said?

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
For the first time, Ill be traveling with a PPro as my companion. If I link him to my PNR for upgrade purposes, will the stickers be deducted from my (EXP) account considering he is a also entitled to complimentary domestic upgrades as a PPro?

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EP
Pretty sure as they are not subject to stickers u should not be asked for stickers.

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
For the first time, Ill be traveling with a PPro as my companion. If I link him to my PNR for upgrade purposes, will the stickers be deducted from my (EXP) account considering he is a also entitled to complimentary domestic upgrades as a PPro?

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage
AA EXP Question on Companion Upgrade for AAdvantage Ticket

I'm an EXP traveling with a companion on an upcoming flight with an AAdvantage ticket, but I might have to do a same-day cancellation for myself only and not my companion due to work conflicts (we're meeting at an airport). Companion does not have status. Logistics question: if we both get upgraded ahead of time (which seems to happen fairly regularly) but I have to cancel myself from the reservation on flight day, what happens to my companion's seat assignment? Is he immediately downgraded to any available seat in economy? Does he have to pay for bags? Does whether or not I have checked in for the flight already, or time before departure affect this? Not trying to game the system, but also don't want my companion to be suddenly stuck in a middle seat in the back of the plane on a cross-country if I have to cancel last minute.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Upgrade question (upgrading companions)

If I wait list a companion using my EXP status (and 500 mile stickers) but we are on different PNR's and i ask to be upgrade separately (aka if 1 seat opens I get it and don't have to wait for 2 seats to open together), where does that companion fall on the list (prior to the gate)?

Meaning if there are three EXP's on the list and then my companion if two seats open up, do I get it (presuming I am the highest EQD) and another EXP or does my companion?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:21 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I believe you will be counted as a pair (as if you were on the same PNR), so it will be all or none. You would just have to call reservations to link the PNR's so your companion gets to ride your upgrade coattail.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp

"*Your travel companion can be booked in the same reservation or in a different reservation when traveling on American Airlines marketed and operated flights. If your companion is booked in a different reservation, call American Airlines reservations to link the two reservations."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.