Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Would you spend $2750 to fly ORD-CLT-CDG and LHR-ORD in business on the A333/763?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you spend $2750 to fly ORD-CLT-CDG and LHR-ORD in business on the A333/763?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

I am looking at flexing my SWU benefits this year, I see the ORD-CLT-CDG route on the A333 is sometimes open for SWU, and 763 availability returning on the LHR-ORD is generally okay. The 763 is the 170 degree lie flats, and the A333 is that US Airways business class that supposedly is really good for domestic carriers.

With that said, would you drop that kind of money to fly AA across the pond and back? I looked at the amount of miles earned, and it would be pretty decent. I would appreciate the fact they count toward status.

I just can't help but feel like it is a little bit costly.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by factory81
With that said, would you drop that kind of money to fly AA across the pond and back? I looked at the amount of miles earned, and it would be pretty decent. I would appreciate the fact they count toward status.

Would I drop that kind of money to fly across the pond in J? No. But I'm a cheapskate. For transatlantic business class, that actually seems like a relatively good deal.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, if I am not mistaken, ORD-CLT-CDG and LHR-ORD with all of the miles credited to AAdvantage in coach would be like 8800 miles round trip, or 1/11th of the miles I would even need to reach EXP again.

Originally Posted by rjw242
Would I drop that kind of money to fly across the pond in J? No. But I'm a cheapskate. For transatlantic business class, that actually seems like a relatively good deal.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I am looking at flexing my SWU benefits this year, I see the ORD-CLT-CDG route on the A333 is sometimes open for SWU, and 763 availability returning on the LHR-ORD is generally okay. The 763 is the 170 degree lie flats, and the A333 is that US Airways business class that supposedly is really good for domestic carriers.

Not a good rate considering that we have seen promotions for US-Europe round-trip for under $2,000 in J. Also, BA has a current promo for about $2700 one-way J and one-way F.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yeah, if I am not mistaken, ORD-CLT-CDG and LHR-ORD with all of the miles credited to AAdvantage in coach would be like 8800 miles round trip, or 1/11th of the miles I would even need to reach EXP again.
Whoops, I just realized you were talking about buying coach and using SWUs? In that case, $2750 for coach tickets is not good at all (as fly747first notes).
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life

I'm not sure if you need a hotel there, but the vacation packages at AA vacations.com are fantastic deals. From ORD to CDG in I (Business class) you can go for $2,800 RT (confirmed instead of waitlisted for a SWU) and the price includes 5 nights hotel and not have to use you're SWU. The EQM would be doubled under their current promotion! You don't even have to stay at the hotel if you don't want to, just don't check in. The 5 nights I looked at were in March. Just go to aa.com and under plan travel click on vacations. Some of the flight options are even non-stop although you get more miles if you connect somewhere... I did a trip from ORD to VIE in Oct and a trip from MIA to LHR in December and received over 110,000 miles that can be used for awards. They have a 25,000 Europe bonus for I class. The combined cost for both trips was around $7,500 and included 5 nights at the Ritz Carlton in Vienna, and 5 nights at the Goring Hotel in London (normally $600 / night).

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; Jan 23, 2016 at 5:21 pm
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Ummm NO....never on this airline.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jan 23, 2016 at 6:44 pm
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by rjw242
Would I drop that kind of money to fly across the pond in J? No. But I'm a cheapskate.
^ +1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.