Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

India to Africa one award or 2? Africa to Africa 1 award or 2?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:07 am
Original Poster

I've read several blogs discussing in detail American's award routing rules and the exceptions to their no-transit-via-third region rule (ie it's ok to transit Europe to get to Africa from the US).

I've not read that there is an exception to the no-transit-via-third region rule from India to Africa. Trying to fly BOM-CPT, and Qatar flies the route through DOH. There's not a way to fly from India to Africa without transiting a 3rd region on oneworld (at least that I can find). Will this be 1 award or 2?

Also, flying from CMN-CPT (a valid routing) requires transit through Europe (MAD and LHR) or through DOH (which makes more sense). There's no other way to fly between the 2 cities on oneworld (at least that I can find) that avoids transiting a third region. Would this be 1 award or 2?

I'm hopeful they will allow transit through a third region if there are no other options possible.

Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: QR Platinum, IHG Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by jchock1
I've read several blogs discussing in detail American's award routing rules and the exceptions to their no-transit-via-third region rule (ie it's ok to transit Europe to get to Africa from the US).

I've not read that there is an exception to the no-transit-via-third region rule from India to Africa. Trying to fly BOM-CPT, and Qatar flies the route through DOH. There's not a way to fly from India to Africa without transiting a 3rd region on oneworld (at least that I can find). Will this be 1 award or 2?

Also, flying from CMN-CPT (a valid routing) requires transit through Europe (MAD and LHR) or through DOH (which makes more sense). There's no other way to fly between the 2 cities on oneworld (at least that I can find) that avoids transiting a third region. Would this be 1 award or 2?

I'm hopeful they will allow transit through a third region if there are no other options possible.

Thanks.
BOM and DOH are in the same region (ME/Indian Subcontinent), so you won't be transiting a 3rd region, and therefore will just be 1 award.

Since CMN and CPT are both in the same region, I don't think you'll be able to transit via a 2nd region without being charged 2 awards. Your best bet would probably be to position to Madrid and redeem a Europe-Africa award.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.