Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Policy for Zika virus affected countries, inc. ticket refund / miles redeposit

NOTE: This thread is to discuss the actions of AA regarding those who have booked travel to Zika virus affected areas, not for extensive discussion of Zika virus. There is a link toward the bottom of this wikipost to the thread for further discussion of Zika virus unrelated to American Airlines.

Zika virus is transmitted by the day biting mosquitos of the genus Aedes . The virus has no vaccine and no cure; most often, ~80% of the time, there are mild or undetected symptoms associated with Zika virus. However, there are growing implications for pregnant women, and resulting cranio-cerebral effects on the developing fetus. The number of children born with microcephaly in Brazil, highly impacted by Zika virus, has burgeoned.

If you are pregnant or at risk of pregnancy, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises cancelling travel to Puerto Rico, the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, several countries in South America and Cape Verde Islands at this time. (The only countries in the Western Hemisphere free of Aedes egypti mosquitos are Canada and Chile, which are to cool to support them. High and cool, dry areas are best for avoiding Aedes; Zika virus is predicted to spread at this time.

Resource links:

Zika virus travel policy Link to this page

If you're pregnant and traveling to a destination in Latin America or the Caribbean that's affected by the Zika virus, you and your travel companions can request a refund. Just provide a doctor's note confirming your pregnancy when you request a refund.

(current 23 Mar 2016)
Link to AA Travel Alerts and Policy (while there now seems to be a Zika virus policy, it may not appear here).

CDC issues interim travel guidance related to Zika virus for 14 Countries and Territories

Travelers' Health - Destination Index to begin with. There's plenty of information on how to minimize exposure to mosquito bites, for instance.

CDC Travel Notices (with links to Zika areas, etc.)

BBC article 25 Jan 2016 on global spread of Zika virus

FlyerTalk: Travelers: Zika (and dengue, chikungunya) virus issues (2016)
Print Wikipost

AA Policy for Zika Virus: Refunds, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't the term quarantine mean that the person has a communicable disease herself (or himself) and is therefore forbidden from having contact with others so as to avoid transmission of the disease? It's usually an order from government officials not to leave one's home or alternatively to enter a hospital or similar place.

In this case, the person has a condition (pregnancy), not a disease, and for her own health and the health of her fetus or unborn child, has possibly been advised to avoid going to certain places where other individuals may have a certain disease. It's somewhat the opposite of a quarantine in that the affected individual (who is not ill) is being fenced out rather than fenced in.
Yes, you're right. The eligibility of a credit card insurance claim will depend, of course, on how the credit card company categorizes the instance and what their benefits and Ts & Cs are. I was simply giving an example, perhaps poorly worded/defined. My main point was that it's worth checking to see what the credit card benefits are, if any, and calling the Benefits Administrator to see if this is covered.

Last edited by corncob; Jan 20, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Please. You've not heard of the mortality rates from yellow fever, or of dengue hemorrhagic fever, have you?

There are few data that actually tell us morbidity, mortality and anything resembling the extent of women infected vs. incidents of microcephaly, etc. Let's not let fear get a hold of us here. CDC does say:
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health...d-know-n496766

It's not certain Zika causes birth defects

Zika's strongly suspected of causing a severe birth defect called microcephaly, which causes underdevelopment of the head and brain. Babies with microcephaly often miscarry before they are born, or they die at birth. Those who survive are usually very disabled.

With Dengue Fever or Yellow Fever I have never seen a national news organization use words like those above. My wife received an cold call from her doctor stressing the need to stay home from our trip, that this is not a disease to mess with. This is after he encouraged our trip to Puerto Rico when we were in his office 2 weeks earlier.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Worst case scenario: you eat the cost of two tickets. $1-2,000 down the drain. This may simply turn out to be the first of many, many times that you flush money down the toilet because of the kiddo. Welcome to fatherhood and the next 20+ years of your life.

Seriously, congrats on the impending arrival.
True true true, very true.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
As someone said, use the credit remaining from the ticket and travel somewhere else in February.. After all, you had already planned to go somewhere.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by owflyer
I would reach out to @americanair.
Always a good idea

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
They will do it. Too much pr fallout if they don't.
When I struggled to get the correct answer from @techcompanythatconnectspaxwithridesviaindependent contractors after encountering a drunk driver via their service, I found cc'ing @localnews1 @localnews2 @localnewspaper and @organizationofmotherswhohatedrunkdrivers resulted in an almost instantaneous course correction. It was truly amazing that, all of a sudden, the company discovered how telephones work.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Disclaimer: I am not a tropical disease researcher or physician but I did stay at a Holiday Inn... err Hyatt last night.

While I generally respect JDiver's opinions very much, I have to disagree here. Also of note, Permethrin is FDA Category B which means no human studies have proven that it is not teratogenic.

Yellow fever = get the vaccine. Done.

Malaria = variety of prophylaxis available depending on region you are traveling to and other considerations (e.g. will this medication cause night terrors). Only Chloroquine and Mefloquine can be used during pregnancy (but sadly Primaquine is by far the most effective for preventing P. vivax so pregnant women traveling to areas primarily worried about P. vivax have to take more risk).

Dengue = low mortality rate in otherwise healthy people. Still scary. Emerging vaccination available in certain countries.

Zika = not preventable, emerging epidemic, spreading rapidly, and risk to a fetus is either death or awful lifelong disability.

Zika is NOT like the others. There is a real difference. Yes, unknown things drive fear. That's how humans behave. The CDC has literally never before issued a travel warning specifically for pregnant women. This decision was taken after careful consideration. To take it lightly would be folly. The issue is that we don't even know what the mortality and morbidity rates are like unlike those for far better understood conditions. Perhaps in 12 months we'll know and traveling to areas with Zika will be a "known and generally measurable risk".

AA and other airlines would be smart to avoid potential PR and legal liability down the road were OP or someone else in OP's shoes denied a refund when presenting carrier with CDC warning, still undertook travel, and had a birth with microcephaly.

OP - congrats on becoming a father. It is amazing (and worth whatever financial and health/sleep expense it creates). Please do not take medical advice from any of us on FT (unless of course they are indeed experts on this topic).
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
As a status update for others in this situation:

1) I called the EXP desk, they told me they could not help and I needed to contact customer service via the web form

2) Within about 24 hours, customer service responded to my inquiry informing me that they could not help me and I needed to contact the EXP desk (uggh)

3) Called the EXP desk back and they were able to process a full travel credit without the change fee

Unfortunately, I now need to wait for the paper voucher to arrive before we can book alternative vacation plans....meaning we will likely be paying last minute fares. Does anyone know how long it takes for paper vouchers to arrive? Is there any way to use a voucher before it arrives (agent didn't think there was an method to do so)?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rikramer
As a status update for others in this situation:

1) I called the EXP desk, they told me they could not help and I needed to contact customer service via the web form

2) Within about 24 hours, customer service responded to my inquiry informing me that they could not help me and I needed to contact the EXP desk (uggh)

3) Called the EXP desk back and they were able to process a full travel credit without the change fee

Unfortunately, I now need to wait for the paper voucher to arrive before we can book alternative vacation plans....meaning we will likely be paying last minute fares. Does anyone know how long it takes for paper vouchers to arrive? Is there any way to use a voucher before it arrives (agent didn't think there was an method to do so)?
My experience is that the paper voucher arrives within a week or so. No there is no way to use the paper voucher without the paper voucher.

Where are you based? There are many places here in the US now that booking relatively close in isnt a big deal anymore, and actually can be cheaper (ie Dallas). The amount of competition from big city to big city really helps alot if you are flexible. If you are from a smaller city, you're likely hosed, so I would just look at the nearest big city and drive there.

The best thing I can tell you would be to go to google.com/flights and choose your home airport and the dates you can travel, and oneworld/American as your airline. You can then choose the maximum dollar amount per ticket and like magic, you can see almost immediately where you can go on those dates with your budget.

Enjoy being a dad. I can say that this wont be the last time the little bugger costs you a significant amount of heartache, grief (and money), but its something you wont trade in for the world.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
My experience is that the paper voucher arrives within a week or so. No there is no way to use the paper voucher without the paper voucher.

Where are you based? There are many places here in the US now that booking relatively close in isnt a big deal anymore, and actually can be cheaper (ie Dallas). The amount of competition from big city to big city really helps alot if you are flexible. If you are from a smaller city, you're likely hosed, so I would just look at the nearest big city and drive there.

The best thing I can tell you would be to go to google.com/flights and choose your home airport and the dates you can travel, and oneworld/American as your airline. You can then choose the maximum dollar amount per ticket and like magic, you can see almost immediately where you can go on those dates with your budget.

Enjoy being a dad. I can say that this wont be the last time the little bugger costs you a significant amount of heartache, grief (and money), but its something you wont trade in for the world.
Thanks imapilotaz. Very helpful. I'm based out of ORD so hopefully you are right and last minute flights won't burn me. Appreciate all the advice.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rikramer

I don't know if this is current, but in the old days
1. Book res, put on hold
2. Call AA and tell them you have a voucher and you need to send it to Milton, FL
3. AA gives you 12 days to get voucher to Milton.
4. When you get the voucher, take it to an AA agent at the airport

Does this still work?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Update on our tickets. My wife called American back today, asked to speak to a supervisor. She got all of our miles back without fee from our planning trip to PR. Really happy American didn't charge us.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Warp
Update on our tickets. My wife called American back today, asked to speak to a supervisor. She got all of our miles back without fee from our planning trip to PR. Really happy American didn't charge us.
I'm glad AA granted the exception to you. Thanks for letting us know how this ended.

Avoid travel to the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, much of South America and Cape Verde for consistency... http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
Could you book a flight and pay the $5.99/7.99 to hold the flight for 7 days or is it too close to departure for that?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
AA waiver is coming.

USA Today reports:

American and United say they will allow customers concerned about the Zika virus to cancel or postpone their trips if they’re ticketed to fly to areas affected by the mosquito-borne virus.

United says its policy will include travel to all areas mentioned in a Centers for Disease Control alert. So far, American's covers flights to four destinations in Central America.
American had not yet posted its Zika policy on its website, though spokesman Ross Feinstein says the carrier decided to implement the policy Monday.

Feinstein says American will allow customers to receive a refund if they provide a doctor's note stating they are unable to travel to one of four cities due pregnancy. The cities included in American's waiver are San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa in Honduras as well as Panama City, Panama, and Guatemala City. Feinstein says American continues to review its policy.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...ions/79366334/
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
AA waiver is coming.
USA Today wrote:
"The cities included in American's waiver are San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa in Honduras as well as Panama City, Panama, and Guatemala City."
Well, those 4 places don't necessarily look like enough, given the latest news of someone in Los Angeles County, California, who apparently got infected in El Salvador, where AA does fly its own metal, but which is not on that list of waiver destinations.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...126-story.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.