Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will AA know about the temporary Brazil Visa Waiver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Q Will AA know of the Brazil 2016 visa waiver?

Brazil is waiving visa requirements for US citizens (and a few other nations) from June 1 to September 18
(link)

AA employees use IATA TIMATIC to decide whether you fly or not. If you can see the policy on TIMATIC, so can they - so have them look it up rather than accept a rote answer. You can hard print the results.

Use United's complimentary version of timaticweb2:

Google: "United airlines health passport" or "United airlines health visa" or use this link:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/travel/passport/default.aspx

Originally Posted by Hayvenhurst
I just check in at LAX for a flight to GRU. The agent scanned my passport, flipped through its pages and then said "Starting June 1 entry to Brazil is allowed without a visa until after the Olympics. At this point in the check in process I used to see a warning on the screen telling me to check for the visa but now there is nothing". He then checked me in for the flight. It seems that AA's software has been adjusted so that agents will know that a visa is not currently required for U.S. citizens to enter Brazil.
Print Wikipost

Will AA know about the temporary Brazil Visa Waiver?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
The FA warned me that it was a LONG walk from the plane to immigration. He also warned that on the return it could take 10-15 min to walk to the gate after clearing security.

I'd guess the load for my JFK-GIG flight last night was maybe 70%.
In J, load was about 80-90% southbound and 30-40% northbound for Saturday departures/returns.

The walk in GIG is quite long, as AA parks at some of the newer gates and immigration is in the main terminal.

Changi Group is well on the way to update and modernize the airport. Based on the design of the new gate areas (where AA parks), it looks like they'll eventually adopt the same SIN departure lounge concept with security at the gates.

There are also glass walls with doors separating the domestic section from the international section. As necessary, these doors are opened/closed to allow for more space for domestic departures.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ianmanka
There are also glass walls with doors separating the domestic section from the international section. As necessary, these doors are opened/closed to allow for more space for domestic departures.
I noticed that those doors were open last night for my GIG-MIA flight.

Not sure what the load was, but it was more full than my flight down...and on an AA B767
(I thought I had enough with the old US 767, which were finally retired)

One nice thing...I was anticipating the worst experience ever at MIA. It sounds all doom and gloom on here. I'm not sure if there were any other planes arriving any time around our flight. No line for Global Entry (and minimal for normal immigration). Actually not too long of a wait for bags, and bag re-check. But of course PreCheck wasn't open for re-clearning security. And the MIA lounge is being refurbished, so no bathrooms or showers.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K

Not sure what the load was, but it was more full than my flight down...and on an AA B767
(I thought I had enough with the old US 767, which were finally retired)

One nice thing...I was anticipating the worst experience ever at MIA. It sounds all doom and gloom on here. I'm not sure if there were any other planes arriving any time around our flight. No line for Global Entry (and minimal for normal immigration). Actually not too long of a wait for bags, and bag re-check. But of course PreCheck wasn't open for re-clearning security. And the MIA lounge is being refurbished, so no bathrooms or showers.
I transited MIA twice last week, and had a shower each time in the D30 Admirals Club, with no wait.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:36 pm

I think there's 3-5 sets of doors, each one segregating a gate or two in either direction. So if they needed two more domestic gates, they'd open the one closest to domestic and close one a bit further down the terminal.

There's some food and shops that are between some of these doors, so sometimes they serve only domestic, and other times only international!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:05 am

I encountered the same thing when entering Brazil -- I misheard the immigration agent when she asked if I had a visa and said that I did have one. She spent the next half-minute searching my passport for the Brazil visa, then I clarified that I did not have a visa, but had the waiver. They type a numeric code for those who qualify for the visa waiver, and a different code for those who have the standard 10-year visa. I hope government officials see the uptick in tourism and make the visa waiver permanent!
Brazil plans to waive visas for visitors from U.S., Japan

But as discussed earlier in this thread, it seems as if Brazil demands being added to the U.S.'s VWP as a condition of doing so.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Brazil plans to waive visas for visitors from U.S., Japan

But as discussed earlier in this thread, it seems as if Brazil demands being added to the U.S.'s VWP as a condition of doing so.
I understand the desire for reciprocity, but let's be honest, their economy needs the tourism income way more than the Japanese and American economy does right now. I would love to visit Brazil again (I'm a U.S. passport holder), but the hassle of getting the visa discourages me. If it's discouraging someone like me who travels tons, imagine what it does to all the casual travelers.

The article states 578,000 Americans visited Brazil last year. That's almost negligible. Imagine if the visa waiver were granted. That number could quadruple. I would imagine the US3 would add many more flights.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, many countries are smart enough to forgo reciprocity and are seeing high tourism numbers. IMHO, politicial grandstanding on Brazil's part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.