Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will AA know about the temporary Brazil Visa Waiver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Q Will AA know of the Brazil 2016 visa waiver?

Brazil is waiving visa requirements for US citizens (and a few other nations) from June 1 to September 18
(link)

AA employees use IATA TIMATIC to decide whether you fly or not. If you can see the policy on TIMATIC, so can they - so have them look it up rather than accept a rote answer. You can hard print the results.

Use United's complimentary version of timaticweb2:

Google: "United airlines health passport" or "United airlines health visa" or use this link:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/travel/passport/default.aspx

Originally Posted by Hayvenhurst
I just check in at LAX for a flight to GRU. The agent scanned my passport, flipped through its pages and then said "Starting June 1 entry to Brazil is allowed without a visa until after the Olympics. At this point in the check in process I used to see a warning on the screen telling me to check for the visa but now there is nothing". He then checked me in for the flight. It seems that AA's software has been adjusted so that agents will know that a visa is not currently required for U.S. citizens to enter Brazil.
Print Wikipost

Will AA know about the temporary Brazil Visa Waiver?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I think the automated document verification system will throw up a ro....... since I don't know if it can tell that the flight will be arriving on a different date when the visa exemption period starts.

I agree that bringing a printout of the Timatic result will be of great aid, and hopefully any insistent agent will see the light.

One unrelated issue I do see is that AA229 will not be operating on May 31 as SSA is being dropped from the network completely on May 4. Call AA or your travel agency to determine what alternate flights are available to you.

Edit: Why is FT blocking out the word ....... even when it's part of another word? Since I can't seem to type it, it's not profane or anything, but rather refers to a tool on some browsers that prevents the display of ads (a blocker for ads, if you will)

Last edited by ThreeJulietTango; Apr 13, 2016 at 11:51 am Reason: Re-added missing word; not sure why "ro......." was replaced with "ro......."
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Anyone travel today? Any updates?

My husband and I are headed to Sao Paulo tomorrow. Just curious if we need to prepare to battle the bots or not. Anyone have any experiences with AA staff today on the waiver?

Last edited by TheBeerHunter; Jun 1, 2016 at 8:35 pm
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
My husband and I are headed to Sao Paulo tomorrow. Just curious if we need to prepare to battle the bots or not. Anyone have any experiences with AA staff today on the waiver?
I'll let you know in an hour. Flying to GRU today. Already, I see a potential problem. I was unable to check in online.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK
I'll let you know in an hour. Flying to GRU today. Already, I see a potential problem. I was unable to check in online.
Presumably AA has either not yet eliminated the online check-in inhibitor for US nationals traveling to Brazil or has chosen not to do so for a temporary waiver.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:16 am

Well I checked into my flight at the airport (BCN) and there were no issues at all.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Any problems at the airport?

I'm heading to GIG in 2 weeks. Hoping that any issues are fixed by then.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Well I checked into my flight at the airport (BCN) and there were no issues at all.
Good to know. Thanks for the report.

I too cannot check in online but presume the IT involved in a temporary waiver was not worth the hassle.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Remember, AA employees use IATA TIMATIC to decide whether you fly or not. If you can see the policy on TIMATIC, so can they - so have them look it up, and do not accept some rote answer. Heck, run it and take a hard copy.

Use United's complimentary version of timaticweb2: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...t/default.aspx

(Google: "United airlines health passport" or "United airlines health visa")
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Any problems at the airport?

I'm heading to GIG in 2 weeks. Hoping that any issues are fixed by then.
I'm currently at JFK where I'm connecting to GRU. No issues at all. Looks like it's only the online part that I'd causing problems.

My bigger issue is, I can't find mosquito spray in terminal 8!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat; UA.
I just check in at LAX for a flight to GRU. The agent scanned my passport, flipped through its pages and then said "Starting June 1 entry to Brazil is allowed without a visa until after the Olympics. At this point in the check in process I used to see a warning on the screen telling me to check for the visa but now there is nothing". He then checked me in for the flight. It seems that AA's software has been adjusted so that agents will know that a visa is not currently required for U.S. citizens to enter Brazil.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm currently at JFK where I'm connecting to GRU. No issues at all. Looks like it's only the online part that I'd causing problems.

My bigger issue is, I can't find mosquito spray in terminal 8!
Thanks for the report, great to hear!

I stocked up on some Off from Costco, so I should be good there

Originally Posted by Hayvenhurst
Thanks again for the report!
They should be pros at this by the time I fly to GIG in 2 weeks.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:56 am

The visa exemption is clearly stated in Timatic, so the automated document check shouldn't throw up any issues.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
AA and Brazil visa waiver

Has anyone had any experience on how AA is handling the Brazil visa waiver that went into effect on June 1st. Are their agents trained up or when I get to the airport will it take an hour and multiple phone calls for them to figure out?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by william142
Has anyone had any experience on how AA is handling the Brazil visa waiver that went into effect on June 1st. Are their agents trained up or when I get to the airport will it take an hour and multiple phone calls for them to figure out?
Yes. It has been dealt with in this tread, where we have merged your query. Be sure to read the wikipost at the top of the page. As AA employees use timaticweb2, nobody has to be "trained up" or call anyone.

Advanced search:

Search titles only, results as threads only. Keyword Brazil.
/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 9, 2016 at 1:16 pm
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by william142
Contrary to what has been expressed in this thread, my experience today (June9) in checking in for
aa213 to Brasilia in Miami was problematic. The kiosk would not allow checkin and the TA at the EXP Priority counter insisted that a visa was required. I attempted to explain about the waiver but she insisted that her 15 years of experience as a TA meant that she was correct. I asked that she either call a supervisor or check Timatic, but she did neither. She stated that I could say anything
I want, but she was right. Finally an agent next to her took pity and provided the correct information.
Very surprising as the waiver has been in effect for 9 days and Miami has a rather large number of American flites to Brazil. Even more surprising that this was at the EXP/First priority check in line.
Bottom line, YMMV, but there is a real possibility of about 15 minutes of unpleasantness. All will be resolved eventually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.