Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

will AA combine two tickets to check the luggage?

Old Jan 15, 16, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi

I am looking for some help...
Planning to fly from RIC to EWR and use avios booking on ba.

There will be two separate transactions for tickets RIC-> PHL and PHL -> EWR, on ba.com Will the ticket agent check my luggage from RIC to EWR without requiring me to claim the luggage at PHL? I won't have sufficient time.

thanks

Please note: the information in this thread is obsolete and incorrect as of September 2016. oneworld dropped the requirement oneworld airlines through check baggage with other oneworld airlines, and AA, BA, IB, QF (possibly others) will no longer through-check baggage on separate ticketing or separate PNRs even on the same airline.

See here for the current thread.

Last edited by JDiver; May 20, 19 at 2:11 pm Reason: Insert moderator note
Old Jan 15, 16, 10:24 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Yes, if both flights on AA and it meets MCT etc.
Old Jan 15, 16, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by annamom
Hi

I am looking for some help...
Planning to fly from RIC to EWR and use avios booking on ba.

There will be two separate transactions for tickets RIC-> PHL and PHL -> EWR, on ba.com Will the ticket agent check my luggage from RIC to EWR without requiring me to claim the luggage at PHL? I won't have sufficient time.

thanks
Yes. But why two separate transactions? Did ba.com not show the RIC-EWR connection via PHL?

Have you considered taking Amtrak from Richmond to EWR Rail Station?
Old Jan 16, 16, 5:04 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Yes, I've done this many times. As mentioned above you have to meet the Minimum Connection Time in PHL.

Make sure that you are checked in for both flights and have the PNR of the second leg available to give to the agent.
Old Jan 16, 16, 8:55 am
Original Poster

thank you. it will work. I have an hour.
ba.com does not show RIC -> EWR
amtrak is a great idea, but is difficult for us (a mother/daughter) to carry the luggage. but I will keep it in mind in case I can't find a better schedule.... airline reward ticket is "free"...
Old Jan 16, 16, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
What you have to do with BA is look for each segment separately, but you can still book it as one ticket.
Old Jan 16, 16, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by wrp96
What you have to do with BA is look for each segment separately, but you can still book it as one ticket.
That requires a call to BAEC. And you have to convince the agent to waive the telephone-ticketing fee.
Old Jan 16, 16, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"amtrak is a great idea, but is difficult for us (a mother/daughter) to carry the luggage. but I will keep it in mind in case I can't find a better schedule.... airline reward ticket is "free"..."

Amtrak offers several trains a day with baggage cars, so you could just check your luggage -- free of charge -- at Richmond, and pick it up upon arrival at Newark Penn Station or New York Penn Station. (Amtrak does not offer checked-baggage service at EWR Rail Station.) Even if you were to travel on one of the Amtrak trains without a baggage car, you could check your baggage in at Richmond the day before your trip, and it would be transported on one of the long-distance trains with a baggage car.

Do you have elite status with AA, BA, or any other oneworld carrier? Or do you hold an AA credit card that offers a free checked bag on domestic AA flights? If not, you will have to pay to check bags on your flights. How many bags do you need to check?
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jan 16, 16, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

yes, I have aa credit card and count on using it....checking in luggage at RIC is good to know...I like train until I found out I can fly for free :-)
Old Jan 16, 16, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annamom
yes, I have aa credit card and count on using it....checking in luggage at RIC is good to know...I like train until I found out I can fly for free :-)
If you opt to fly with BA Avios, you would need to change the FFP number in your PNR from BAEC to AAdvantage in order to get the free checked bags. This can usually be done using the "Manage My Booking" feature at finnair.com. If you do not insert your AAdvantage number in the PNR, you will not get the free checked bag -- even if you show your AA credit card when checking in at RIC.

Also, the BA Avios redemption rate for short-haul AA flights is going up in a couple of weeks. You do not have to fly before the rate change, but you do have to book before the rate change to lock in the lower rates.
Old Jan 16, 16, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And by the way, if you plan to fly back to RIC in February or March, note that RIC is on the list of "reduced-mileage destinations" for AA credit-card holders. One-way to RIC from anywhere in the U.S. is just 8,750 AA miles, before the 10% rebate on mileage redemptions. Details here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...dmileageawards
Old Jan 16, 16, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not under any circumstances book air travel RIC-PHL-EWR. Both flights are micro-hauls given to routine delays/cancellations, especially the latter which is approximately 12 minutes from wheels up to down.

Amtrak between RIC and WAS is a fairly miserable experience as well although once you get north of WAS you are on decent trains.

If your wife doesn't mind the drive and can handle doing this outside of rush hours, this is by far the preferred method for this route, if you really need an EWR departure (any way to avoid that?)
Old Jan 16, 16, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

thanks for reminding to change the award number....I already booked united from EWR->RIC nonstop, but there aren't good schedule for RIC->EWR and it is "cheaper" using avios....thanks for reminding to use the aa reward miles...I think it covers January as well....but I may have to pay the extra $70 to $80 fee, hence I will have to use avois.....as I already booked the way down, hence it is unlikely to drive back....(have looked into one way rental).... I am concerned with the weather, hence I decided to fly instead of drive.
thanks for the suggestions.
Old Jan 19, 16, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

I called AA to confirm the MCT and it was 40 minutes, but then I just confirmed to see whether I can combine two separate tickets, and she told me they won't do it and I should make sure I have 3 or 4 hours in between to check the luggage out and in.... I think they are likely wrong, but just now sure whether I can take the chance...
Old Jan 19, 16, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I think the problem is your terminology. No, they won't combine the tickets (it isn't possible).

But when you go to check in your bags, you show the agent both your itineraries and they will check the bags through to your final destination. It's not something that can be done ahead of time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: