Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by happy10345
That should be legal but AUH-LHR is unlikely to ticket using AA miles right now. Did you consider CX? BOM-HKG-ORD is the same number of miles and probably isn't much longer of a flight.

CX does not have First from BOM to HKG. That's my second option. Etihad has availability for all other regions except for US, and BA flies a A380 to Chicago, that's why I am looking into this route.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:31 am

Did you verify with AA that the Etihad flight from BOM-LHR was redeemable through them. Several others, including myself, have not been able to get the LHR flights to appear either..though all other European flights work.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by INDFlyer
Can someone please let me know if this is a valid routing

BOM to AUH (Etihad)
AUH to LHR (Etihad)
LHR to ORD (British)

Thanks.
Others can correct me, but I didn't think you could transit two regions to get to a final destination in a fourth region? I thought you could do BOM-LHR-ORD or BOM-AUH-ORD, but didn't think you could transit through both Europe and Middle East to get to India?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by wolfeman27
Others can correct me, but I didn't think you could transit two regions to get to a final destination in a fourth region? I thought you could do BOM-LHR-ORD or BOM-AUH-ORD, but didn't think you could transit through both Europe and Middle East to get to India?
My knowledge of and respect for award routing rules is less than profound, but yes I believe you are right. Transit via AUH or LHR, not both. Unless one flies on two awards.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wolfeman27
Middle East and India count as the same region for routing

This would be transitting through a 3trd region - Europe

India/Middle East - Europe - USA

Transit via Europe is permitted for India/Middle East to USA

I would be surprised, however, if it was permitted as a single award since it would not comply with EY's routing rules for its fares from BOM-ORD
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by INDFlyer
CX does not have First from BOM to HKG. That's my second option. Etihad has availability for all other regions except for US, and BA flies a A380 to Chicago, that's why I am looking into this route.
Have you checked, factored in BA FEES? LHR hassles ?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

I would be surprised, however, if it was permitted as a single award since it would not comply with EY's routing rules for its fares from BOM-ORD
Good point, that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying^
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:27 am

called AA OZ line, no availability on EY.
Asked the agent about it, she confirmed that she hasn't seen any availability on EY in weeks, which is very unusual, and she said she didn't know why.
It stinks...I need to change a routing, and my booking is a 4-person, 3 AAdvantage account, 5 record locator booking...meaning change fee will be $150 per record locator....and there is no availability to change it to.

this hobby is getting hard....
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by stevento
called AA OZ line, no availability on EY.
Asked the agent about it, she confirmed that she hasn't seen any availability on EY in weeks, which is very unusual, and she said she didn't know why.
It stinks...I need to change a routing, and my booking is a 4-person, 3 AAdvantage account, 5 record locator booking...meaning change fee will be $150 per record locator....and there is no availability to change it to.

this hobby is getting hard....
Sorry to hear it, but yeah airlines are moving to a fixed redemption. Pretty soon it will all be 1 cent / mile. Unless the economy tanks or something airlines can just do whatever they want and rake in the cash. I am trying to use up my miles sooner vs saving for dream trips these days.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by olouie
Sorry to hear it, but yeah airlines are moving to a fixed redemption. Pretty soon it will all be 1 cent / mile.
no
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
no
Then availability will be wide open
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:09 pm

Another data point

Spoke with AA CSRs based in the US and Trinidad (via Australia phone number) today (9/22). Neither could book EY F on the A380 AUH-JFK or JFK-AUH in July 2018 (or October 2017). I did ask about EY J on the 787 IAD-AUH (they did see one seat in mid-October), but that's it.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

I spoke with AA yesterday and was able to confirm that JFK-LHR-AUH-MLE was a valid routing and could be booked for 115K miles in First. So you could fly AA Flagship and enjoy Flagship Dining in JFK, then Etihad apartment on from LHR-AUH and then onto MLE in First.

Now whether that is worth it or not is up to you, but it would be one of the few routings where one could fly in the apartment on a route from the US to the middle east using AA miles.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by floodrm90
I spoke with AA yesterday and was able to confirm that JFK-LHR-AUH-MLE was a valid routing and could be booked for 115K miles in First. So you could fly AA Flagship and enjoy Flagship Dining in JFK, then Etihad apartment on from LHR-AUH and then onto MLE in First.

Now whether that is worth it or not is up to you, but it would be one of the few routings where one could fly in the apartment on a route from the US to the middle east using AA miles.
Now if only all parties made it available for award travel.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:47 pm

Called AA US line today and was told that EY was not a valid partner from SYD to AUH or AUH to JFK. Told by two different people. Don't have time now but will try AUS line later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.