Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skunker
Which is a Sabre thing. I wonder if this is related to the switch to QIK instead of the full Sabre access that agents used to have.
No, unrelated, that didn't change in this time period, airport agents had that change in the recent round, not phone agents.

Last edited by JonNYC; Oct 13, 2017 at 6:15 am
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:26 am

Anyone had any recent success trying to book LHR-AUH (or AUH-LHR)? It seems to be next to impossible to get seats even though there is Guest space.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks for this info. AFAIK, it's unique in recent experience. Any other CKs out there who've had such success or could call to try to duplicate?
Originally Posted by ravi100
This is definitely a new wrinkle. Seems to me that this indicates that this is a AA block -- to only be cleared for CK customers?
I didn't mean to imply that CKs are the only ones successful in getting these EY award redemptions. Being that I didn't make the call myself (without status with AA), I have no way of making a comparison.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
I didn't mean to imply that CKs are the only ones successful in getting these EY award redemptions. Being that I didn't make the call myself (without status with AA), I have no way of making a comparison.
Problem is, those of us with some status but not CK have not had any luck since Sep. 1, so there is a strong temptation to generalize from one data point.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by khaosspawn
Anyone had any recent success trying to book LHR-AUH (or AUH-LHR)? It seems to be next to impossible to get seats even though there is Guest space.
Today calling the US reservations line, I scored LHR2AUH in Biz on Oct 22 and AUH2LHR in F apartment on Nov 10.

Beyond 30 days seems to give problem as I couldn't get LHR back to AUH on Nov 17 or 18 when Expertflyer and Etihad sites both show availability.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Problem is, those of us with some status but not CK have not had any luck since Sep. 1, so there is a strong temptation to generalize from one data point.
I imagine it's human nature to make sense of madness.

FWIW, the date that I booked, Jan 3, still shows guest availability on Etihadguest. If a non-CK would like to call and see if AA can book it, that might clarify things a bit. Or confuse them some more...
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:44 pm

Booked JFK>LHR>AUH and AUH>NRT few days ago for travel this month. US-AA agent was able to see/book it all without issues, and (knowing how difficult it's been) even complimented me on my 'EY-availability-finding-skills'
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:07 pm
Suspended

FWIW, the date that I booked, Jan 3, still shows guest availability on Etihadguest. If a non-CK would like to call and see if AA can book it, that might clarify things a bit. Or confuse them some more...
Forget about this CK angle.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:01 pm

Looks like they can see availability with LHR 30 days out but nothing past that.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:56 pm

Looks like they can see availability with LHR 30 days out but nothing past that.
Which is consistent with the recent reports we are seeing.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:09 am

I am an Elite (Gold) non-CK. Called the USA call center and they could not see any seats for AUH-LAX on Jan 3rd in either business or first. Etihad Guest still shows availability in business for that day. So there you go...
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Can someone clearly summarize - the the best of our collective knowledge - what is and is not possible at the present moment with EY?

Lets break down the availability (or lack of) of awards into 5 categories.
USA
Europe
Asia
Australia
ROW
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:39 am

From What I've seen so far:

USA - availability in Economy not an issue. Business/First shows availability on Etihad Guest but AA agents unable to see it until ~30 days before departure. Knit-in seems to have had an outlier experience of being able to book AUH-LAX Business > 30 days out

Europe - AUH -Europe seems to have no issues in general except AUH-LHR which has
reported similar problems as the USA routes

Asia - AUH-Asia routes seem to be unaffected

Australia AUH-SYD seems to be unaffected

ROW - Not sure
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Let me add my individual experience. A couple of weeks ago - none of the call centers could find US award availability. (US, Europe, Australia.)

I happened to call the UK number and instead reached a call center in the Caribbean and for them, it was no problem. Flight was ticketed without a hitch.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EP
throw in DFW AUH as sometimes/should be bookable > 30 days out.

Originally Posted by ravi100
From What I've seen so far:

USA - availability in Economy not an issue. Business/First shows availability on Etihad Guest but AA agents unable to see it until ~30 days before departure. Knit-in seems to have had an outlier experience of being able to book AUH-LAX Business > 30 days out

Europe - AUH -Europe seems to have no issues in general except AUH-LHR which has
reported similar problems as the USA routes

Asia - AUH-Asia routes seem to be unaffected

Australia AUH-SYD seems to be unaffected

ROW - Not sure

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.