Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 12:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Great synopsis. Thank you ... this makes more sense now. Cheers
Was able to book BOM-AUH-JFK on the A380 in F. Called AA here in the states and booked it relatively easy. I was also able to change the date twice without issue.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Just booked AUH-JFK for my girlfriend and I! Called the fine folks in Australia and they handled it without issue. I did try the US number for kicks and giggles and they "couldn't see any space available in business or first..." poor guys are set up for failure.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Hope this isn't a stupid question but I'm looking to fly EY J/F from AUH-JFK and then JFK-DFW-YYC on AA ... I assume this would be all on the same award (assuming connection times work) ... so 75/120K for J and F respectively ... am I correct?
From my experience last month, this was priced as two awards apparently because of AA's rule of not allowing transit in a third region. I was trying for AUH-JFK-YVR. The agent claimed I couldn't transit USA to reach Canada. I tried HUCA with no success.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
From my experience last month, this was priced as two awards apparently because of AA's rule of not allowing transit in a third region. I was trying for AUH-JFK-YVR. The agent claimed I couldn't transit USA to reach Canada. I tried HUCA with no success.
Ahhh, now that I can understand.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For routing (unless changed) , USA and Canada are both considered as North America

I suspect that it may have been correct not to allow the flight, but that the reason may be wrong
Old May 19, 2017, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
I too doubt the agent's explanation was correct, not a 3rd region.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Out of curiosity, any thoughts or rumors about loosening the third-region rule to include EY on appropriate routings? I assume no, but one can hope.

As an aside, is the QR exemption due to them being in Oneworld and, I assume, the amount AA has to pay Oneworld partners is set by the alliance while AA only partners are bilateral agreements (assuming, again, in this case that EY costs more to AA than QR)? Though to expand on this point (in my mind), this could also be a concession to QR being in the alliance.

Friday afternoon musings over a Flying Dog. 🤣
Old May 20, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Anyone had any luck changing a flight through the Aus ticketing office? I'm currently booked DFW-AUH-MLE with a return of MLE-AUH-JFK. Would like to switch DFW to JFK on the outbound but I seem to remember in the past there were difficulties maintaining the other leg (in my case the MLE-AUH leg) when trying to change the longhaul.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by bevoinva
Anyone had any luck changing a flight through the Aus ticketing office? I'm currently booked DFW-AUH-MLE with a return of MLE-AUH-JFK. Would like to switch DFW to JFK on the outbound but I seem to remember in the past there were difficulties maintaining the other leg (in my case the MLE-AUH leg) when trying to change the longhaul.
First issue - it would seem that Australia call center can now see availability for flights originating in the US. I searched for availability on the Etihad site using round trips and was able to see lots of availability JFK-AUH. Aus reservations were able to see the same availability as on the Etihad site.

In my case, I had a DFW-AUH-MLE trip booked and wanted to change to JFK-AUH-MLE. I initially asked for availability for 2 seats on the JFK-AUH leg which they were able to see. Once I requested that they change my flights, they were no longer able to see availability. This seems to be normal based on others previous experience.

I had the agent go in and cancel my original itinerary and start a new booking from scratch. Once again, they were able to see the JFK-AUH availability but my two F seats from AUH-MLE didn't go right back into inventory so I settled for Business class for that leg. Put the new itinerary on hold.

About 20 minutes later, I checked and my original first class seats AUH-MLE showed back up in inventory. I canceled the new itinerary and called the Aus res. number to try again. When I cancelled the held reservation, all inventory became available immediately so they were able to see all the seats I wanted. Unfortunately, someone else snagged my F seats from AUH-MLE while the agent was putting the new itinerary together. Had to settle for business again for the short leg, which I am totally ok with. Well worth the "sacrifice" in order to fly F JFK-AUH.

The bottom line - still can't change existing itineraries but can now book ex-US flights through AUH.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Was able to book MLE-AUH-JFK, in F for my honeymoon.

Paid like $75 each in taxes/fees, so $150-ish total + 230k AA miles.

Don't know if they charged me $25 phone booking fee..
Old May 23, 2017, 3:45 pm

wanted to thank everyone who contributed/maintain the WIKI.

Booked business class tickets DEL-AUH-LAX

1) Confirmed availability through Etihad's website
2) Called US based reservations without any luck
3) Called Australian reservation and placed award on hold
4) Called US and paid for reservation ($54 fees and 70k miles/ticket)

^I assume people go this route to avoid currency exchange issues and/or foreign transaction fees.

sometimes I wonder how the hell does the average American get these "complicated" award travel without forums like this or bloggers sharing their experiences.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:49 pm

wanted to thank everyone who contributed/maintain the WIKI.

Booked business class tickets DEL-AUH-LAX

1) Confirmed availability through Etihad's website
2) Called US based reservations without any luck
3) Called Australian reservation and placed award on hold
4) Called US and paid for reservation ($54 fees and 70k miles/ticket)

^I assume people go this route to avoid currency exchange issues and/or foreign transaction fees.

sometimes I wonder how the hell does the average American get these "complicated" award travel without forums like this or bloggers sharing their experiences.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For routing (unless changed) , USA and Canada are both considered as North America

I suspect that it may have been correct not to allow the flight, but that the reason may be wrong
Originally Posted by bevoinva
First issue - it would seem that Australia call center can now see availability for flights originating in the US. I searched for availability on the Etihad site using round trips and was able to see lots of availability JFK-AUH. Aus reservations were able to see the same availability as on the Etihad site.

In my case, I had a DFW-AUH-MLE trip booked and wanted to change to JFK-AUH-MLE. I initially asked for availability for 2 seats on the JFK-AUH leg which they were able to see. Once I requested that they change my flights, they were no longer able to see availability. This seems to be normal based on others previous experience.

I had the agent go in and cancel my original itinerary and start a new booking from scratch. Once again, they were able to see the JFK-AUH availability but my two F seats from AUH-MLE didn't go right back into inventory so I settled for Business class for that leg. Put the new itinerary on hold.

About 20 minutes later, I checked and my original first class seats AUH-MLE showed back up in inventory. I canceled the new itinerary and called the Aus res. number to try again. When I cancelled the held reservation, all inventory became available immediately so they were able to see all the seats I wanted. Unfortunately, someone else snagged my F seats from AUH-MLE while the agent was putting the new itinerary together. Had to settle for business again for the short leg, which I am totally ok with. Well worth the "sacrifice" in order to fly F JFK-AUH.

The bottom line - still can't change existing itineraries but can now book ex-US flights through AUH.
I believe the issue has been that Etihad wasn't releasing JFK-AUH at all. Even to their own frequent flyers, correct? There was speculation (hope) this might change when the flight went to 2X daily on the A380. Maybe that's the case. Either way, great to hear a report that JFK-AUH was bookable.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Guys, a quick question.

I have MLE-AUH-JFK booked, but want to stop over in JFK for a few days and add a JFK-DCA leg to the reservation.

I thought I read that the flight to the NA gateway can be added for free - does the domestic add-on allow stopovers?
Old May 24, 2017, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by meraki1990
Guys, a quick question.

I have MLE-AUH-JFK booked, but want to stop over in JFK for a few days and add a JFK-DCA leg to the reservation.

I thought I read that the flight to the NA gateway can be added for free - does the domestic add-on allow stopovers?
This will not be possible, Jfk-Dca will price as a separate leg if flown a few days after, the NA gateway perk has been gone for a while now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.