Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA policy on non-AA oneworld flights misconnect

Old Jan 13, 16, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

My QR flight into Amsterdam was canceled. Subsequently they did a equipment swap and now fly a 777 not a 787.

Anyway, I gave myself two hours to make my next flight... Ams to lhr to LAX. The lhr to LAX was on BA, a flight I just upgraded.

I call AA but they won't make a change now. They also don't have an aa ticket office in ams.

What should I do here? Just misconnect and speak to ba at the airport?
Old Jan 13, 16, 1:40 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
My QR flight into Amsterdam was canceled. Subsequently they did a equipment swap and now fly a 777 not a 787.

Anyway, I gave myself two hours to make my next flight... Ams to lhr to LAX. The lhr to LAX was on BA, a flight I just upgraded.

I call AA but they won't make a change now. They also don't have an aa ticket office in ams.

Contact QR as they caused the delay! Good luck!
Old Jan 13, 16, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl

I'm confused -- did they cancel your (presumably) DOH-AMS flight, or did they just swap equipment? Or is there a schedule change?

To help us help you, it would be good to provide routing, cabin you're flying, what you booked, and what is the itinerary like now.

If QR made a schedule change that's causing you to miss-connect, I would contact them first. And as a rule, it's always better to fix these kinds of things ahead of time, while there's time to deal with the back-n-forth, re-ticketing, etc. than at the airport the day of travel, as you or the agents may be pressed for time.
Old Jan 13, 16, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akcae View Post
I'm confused -- did they cancel your (presumably) DOH-AMS flight, or did they just swap equipment? Or is there a schedule change?

To help us help you, it would be good to provide routing, cabin you're flying, what you booked, and what is the itinerary like now.

If QR made a schedule change that's causing you to miss-connect, I would contact them first. And as a rule, it's always better to fix these kinds of things ahead of time, while there's time to deal with the back-n-forth, re-ticketing, etc. than at the airport the day of travel, as you or the agents may be pressed for time.
Originally, the flight was cancelled. QR then swapped equipment with a schedule change. As a result, I now arrive into AMS (2) hours later, missing my BA flight.

The itinerary is quite complex.

to get home, I route like this

CPT-JNB-DOH-CMB (all I class, CPT-JNB on BA)
CMB-BKK (UL, Y class)
BKK-DOH-AMS (all I class)
AMS-LHR-LAX (I class, A class)

The flight that is in question is DOH-AMS. I cant just move the flight back 2 hours due to the other connection. The only, or most logical option, is just to swap out those AMS-LAX legs. Because if not, I need to change every single flight going back to Capetown.
Old Jan 13, 16, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally, the flight was cancelled. QR then swapped equipment with a schedule change. As a result, I now arrive into AMS (2) hours later, missing my BA flight.

The itinerary is quite complex.

to get home, I route like this

CPT-JNB-DOH-CMB (all I class, CPT-JNB on BA)
CMB-BKK (UL, Y class)
BKK-DOH-AMS (all I class)
AMS-LHR-LAX (I class, A class)

The flight that is in question is DOH-AMS. I cant just move the flight back 2 hours due to the other connection. The only, or most logical option, is just to swap out those AMS-LAX legs. Because if not, I need to change every single flight going back to Capetown.
The operating carrier that caused the delay is responsible for re-accommodation. Even though AA may have ticketed it, any carrier can make changes to the ticket on day of travel. Do not let yourself get bounced around by an agent who tries to tell you that only AA can make the change.
Old Jan 13, 16, 2:10 pm

Are these all separate tickets?

OW policy is that even on separate tickets, the airline which causes you to misconnect will handle re-accommodation. So I would contact QR, provide details of onward travel impacted by their schedule change and request that they re-accommodate you, possibly on their DOH-LAX direct flight.
Old Jan 13, 16, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

OW policy is that even on separate tickets, the airline which causes you to misconnect will handle re-accommodation. So I would contact QR, provide details of onward travel impacted by their schedule change and request that they re-accommodate you, possibly on their DOH-LAX direct flight.
Yes, they are all separate tickets.

Just so I know,

if I give QR the AA reference number, they can make changes to that?

the other issue is I just used 70,000 miles to upgrade the BA flight from Business to first (LHR to LAX). So maybe i should call AA back and cancel those upgrades.
Old Jan 13, 16, 2:36 pm

Yes, they are all separate tickets.

Just so I know,

if I give QR the AA reference number, they can make changes to that?

the other issue is I just used 70,000 miles to upgrade the BA flight from Business to first (LHR to LAX). So maybe i should call AA back and cancel those upgrades.
I'm guessing ticket numbers would be better, but PNRs may work too.

If QR puts you on the direct DOH-LAX, then just call and cancel the entire AMS-LHR-LAX ticket.
Old Jan 13, 16, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I call AA but they won't make a change now. They also don't have an AA ticket office in AMS.

With QR & BA flights what has this to do with AA?

There in a thread on this topic. No one has yet to prove or show links to any OW policy on seperate flights
There is an AA policy.

With seperate tickets you do not have a connection
A connection is between flights on the same intinerary
Old Jan 13, 16, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

The ba flight was issued by AA. AA flight number.
Old Jan 13, 16, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
With QR & BA flights what has this to do with AA?

There in a thread on this topic. No one has yet to prove or show links to any OW policy on seperate flights
There is an AA policy.

With seperate tickets you do not have a connection
A connection is between flights on the same intinerary
Not quite. A connection is between flights on the same ticket.

While it is said, note my use of the disfavored passive voice, that OW carriers will protect across tickets and various people quote various employees of OW, a marketing alliance, as committing carriers to this, nowhere is this written such that agents must do it.

AA used to have such a policy published on its customer-facing website. That is now gone. It appears on its TA-only pages. No idea whether AA mistakenly removed the commitment from its consumer-facing website or mistakenly left it on its TA website.

Here, it's unlikely that QR will do anything to help as it isn't causing a misconnect. This will be about heading to BA on arrival at AMS and asking to be accommodated under the supposed OW policy and holding one's breath.
Old Jan 13, 16, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

So essentially nothing can be done NOW? not until I misconnect next week?
Old Jan 13, 16, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
...AA used to have such a policy published on its customer-facing website. That is now gone. It appears on its TA-only pages. No idea whether AA mistakenly removed the commitment from its consumer-facing website or mistakenly left it on its TA website.
For the 100th time, no.

Wrong.

Incorrect.

It was on AAgency.

Now it is on AAsaleslink.

It was never anymore "customer-facing" than that.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 13, 16 at 4:28 pm
Old Jan 13, 16, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.. AMS to LHRr to LAX. The LHR to LAX was on BA, a flight I just upgraded.
The BA flight was issued by AA. AA flight number.
So the LHR LAX flight is AA marketed (AA flight number) with the aircraft operated by BA [code share]. And you have upgraded.

So essentially nothing can be done NOW? Not until I misconnect next week?
You do not have a connection. You will not misconnect as you have separate tickets. That was your risk.
Phone AA again.
Old Jan 13, 16, 4:16 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not get QR to move you to DOH-LHR and then have them work with AA/BA to drop the AMS-LHR segment?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: