Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX Growth Announcement Week of 18 Jan 2016

Old Jan 15, 16, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MAH4546
New routes announced so far:

DFW-BZN, daily CR9, winter & summer seasonal
DFW-BOI, daily A319
DFW-SUX, daily ERJ145
DFW-SWO, 2x daily ERJ145

LGA-MVY, 3 weekly CR2, summer seasonal
LGA-BGR, 2 weekly CR2, summer seasonal
LGA-MYR, 2 weekly CR2, summer seasonal
LGA-ACK, 3 weekly ERJ170, summer seasonal
LGA-SDF, 1 daily CR2

CLT-SJC, daily A319, eastbound redeye, summer seasonal

ORD-SMF, double daily 738 including one eastbound redeye

LAX-SEA, 5 daily (4x A319 / 1x ERJ-175)
LAX-PDX, 3 daily ERJ-175
LAX-MSP, 2 daily A319
LAX-MSY, 1 daily 738
LAX-MCI, 1 daily A319
LAX-OMA, 1 daily A319
LAX-BDL, 1 daily 738, eastbound redeye
LAX-ANC, 1 daily, A319 seasonal
LAX-DRO, 1 daily, seasonal
LAX-RDU, 2nd daily, summer seasonal, A319

Route CUTS:
PHL-SMF
PHX-YYC
PHX-YEG (moving to winter seasonal)
Print Wikipost

LAX Growth Announcement Week of 18 Jan 2016

Old Jan 13, 16, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by ashill View Post
I don't think AA flying their own metal to nearby major cities from one of their major hubs could fairly be interpreted as a middle finger at all.
Like I said, there's a difference between an RJ or two to SEA/PDX and, say, LAX-SJO, which is a very new AS route and not by any means "a nearby major city", or horning in on AS's existing Mexico routes like LAX-PVR.

AS has had a LAX-Mexico presence for 20+ years. If AA is saying "we want your southbound from LAX operations out of here and we're going to try and squash them like a grape because LAX is ours and we need to expand here, good luck with DL up in SEA, but let's compete hard at LAX"... well... that's a middle finger no matter how you want to dress it up as being "nicer" than what DL is doing in SEA.

Which is fine, but I'd expect AS to decide that being "nice" about LAX-HNL/OGG/LIH/KOA to be somewhat less of a priority. It's a pretty obvious place where they haven't added service to Hawaii, and the reason's pretty obvious- it's sticking a finger in a partner's eye as opposed to SJC, SAN, SMF or OAK. But if your partner's gotta do what they gotta do...
Old Jan 13, 16, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke View Post
They are certainly trying - albeit with a push from their JV partner Qantas. Are they going to do it on their own to HKG, given that CX is not a JV partner - time will tell - they havent done it so far on DFW HKG.
Agreed-- no indication or reliable hint at this juncture that the indisputably higher level of soft product being offered on AA's SYD flight is being planned for HKG flight(s).
Old Jan 13, 16, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Like I said, there's a difference between an RJ or two to SEA/PDX and, say, LAX-SJO, which is a very new AS route and not by any means "a nearby major city", or horning in on AS's existing Mexico routes like LAX-PVR.

AS has had a LAX-Mexico presence for 20+ years. If AA is saying "we want your southbound from LAX operations out of here and we're going to try and squash them like a grape because LAX is ours and we need to expand here, good luck with DL up in SEA, but let's compete hard at LAX"... well... that's a middle finger no matter how you want to dress it up as being "nicer" than what DL is doing in SEA.
If MAH's guess about Mexico routes proves correct, one factor is that the bilateral agreement between the US and Mexico is opening up considerably. (I can't remember when.) It used to be that only 2 US carriers could serve any given US-Mexico city pair (with a handful of exceptions), but that restriction is going away. (LAX-PVR is currently served by AS and UA.)

And again, an airline starting a route from its own hub is rarely considered to be poking a middle finger at another carrier, partner or not. But going on about this based on one poster's guess seems pointless.

Which is fine, but I'd expect AS to decide that being "nice" about LAX-HNL/OGG/LIH/KOA to be somewhat less of a priority. It's a pretty obvious place where they haven't added service to Hawaii, and the reason's pretty obvious- it's sticking a finger in a partner's eye as opposed to SJC, SAN, SMF or OAK. But if your partner's gotta do what they gotta do...
It's pretty obvious that AS's Hawaii strategy outside of SEA and PDX is to fly routes that have little or no competition; being 'nice' to partners has nothing to do with it. AS doesn't fly SFO-Hawaii either, and there are no partners to avoid there.
Old Jan 13, 16, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
It's pretty obvious that AS's Hawaii strategy outside of SEA and PDX is to fly routes that have little or no competition; being 'nice' to partners has nothing to do with it. AS doesn't fly SFO-Hawaii either, and there are no partners to avoid there.
Or that there are alternate airports (SJC/OAK) that haven't got problems like weather issues that make timely operations problematic (plus lots of excess gate space- AS is kind of an itinerant at SFO, getting kicked over to the international terminal).
Old Jan 13, 16, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
I don't get this particular logic. Obviously, they need F if they want to compete for F traffic, and they apparently think that the whole 77W package (capacity, the F cabin, and the utilization potential to mix with the DFW-HKG flight) will work better for this route than the 787. But I don't see why they need an F cabin to be competitive for Y and J traffic (unless they need the SWU to F option to be competitive in J, in which case they're in trouble). But it's entirely possible to compete in a market while ceding the F traffic to the competition -- after all, DL/VS compete with AA/BA on JFK-LHR despite their lack of F.
Perhaps I could've been clearer -- HKG is a route where people pay cash money for F. So if AA wants to play in the premium cabin game, they need F on that route (as well as J and Y).

Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
No, I'm not kidding.

I've flown CX F many times. I love it for the seat, but the ground services are absolutely non-existent and the food is certainly good, but not stellar.

You can't deny that AA has a third advantage - ground service, in that AA is offering the 5-Star Concierge to all LAXSYD F passengers.
Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke View Post
They are certainly trying - albeit with a push from their JV partner Qantas. Are they going to do it on their own to HKG, given that CX is not a JV partner - time will tell - they havent done it so far on DFW HKG.
^

Based on all the reports, the ground service is impressive, and the in-flight service in F is stepped-up from AA's normal pedestrian offerings. If they can see that great premium service a) brings in paying customers (instead of just having an "upgrade class"), and b) makes the employees proud to provide quality service, they just may decide it's worth having and expanding to other appropriate markets (even if it did take a kick in the pants by QF).
Old Jan 13, 16, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
My belief at this point is the the announcement will -not- be this week
I'll double down on this.

Tomorrow will have some new routes announced, but LAX-HKG and associated LAX news will wait till next week.
Old Jan 13, 16, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I'll double down on this.

Tomorrow will have some new routes announced, but LAX-HKG and associated LAX news will wait till next week.
So just to clarify, tomorrow's new routes have nothing to do with LAX?
Old Jan 13, 16, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber View Post
So just to clarify, tomorrow's new routes have nothing to do with LAX?
They indeed do not.

Next Thursday is "the big one" with a lot of different things being announced.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 13, 16 at 5:19 pm
Old Jan 13, 16, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
They indeed do not.

Next Thursday is "the big one" with TONS of different things being announced.
Seems like the right time of year to be announcing JFK-MEX, does it not?
Old Jan 13, 16, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC AA View Post
Seems like the right time of year to be announcing JFK-MEX, does it not?
Could be, dunno, I haven't hear that one-- and I think next week's thing is exclusively stuff involving LAX-- or at least the route-announce part is.
Old Jan 13, 16, 6:18 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
My understanding is, definitely other routes to be announced this week, and, definitely domestic-- "very" if ya know what I mean.
"Very" domestic eh?

I'm guessing that one of the routes may wind up being LAX-TUL to shuttle aircraft in and out that need maintenance at TUL.

Doesn't get much more "very" domestic than TUL.
Old Jan 13, 16, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, AMEX Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
My understanding is, definitely other routes to be announced this week, and, definitely domestic-- "very" if ya know what I mean.
As in CP E-175 service to somewhere like MSY or MCI that may excite a few posters here, but to those of us who either live in or frequent L.A. like myself and find AA's current domestic service adequately meets our needs it's nothing special?
Old Jan 13, 16, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Couple 'a routes from DFW and some seasonal summer stuff from elsewhere.
Old Jan 13, 16, 7:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Couple 'a routes from DFW and some seasonal summer stuff from elsewhere.
Any brand new destinations? Or just increasing frequencies/routes?
Old Jan 13, 16, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Max M View Post
"Very" domestic eh?
Well, if some consider California its own country...

Search this Thread