FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   LAX Growth Announcement Week of 18 Jan 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1738533-lax-growth-announcement-week-18-jan-2016-a.html)

JonNYC Aug 15, 2016 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 27068053)
You're talking about T4 only, yes? If so, what are these gates now? 41, 43, 48B?

Very open to correction on this (I'm just passing along, and most definitely out of my element here) but I believe it's 3 in T4 and one in T6 (which is only good up to a 767). The actual gate numbers I bet someone else will know.

When those are filled they can of course use TBIT for some, and sometimes remote gates. But, obviously, things start getting very messy very quickly then both in terms of customer experience and manpower.

ijgordon Aug 15, 2016 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 27065868)
But how much does an aircraft downgauge reduce delays? Both aircraft types utilize the same gate space, for example. Is switching out a 321 for a 738, or a 738 for a 319, going to do much in that regard?

I suppose fewer passengers makes baggage handling, and even catetering, operations more efficient, but it's not clear they're looking to just reduce passenger volumes (they could probably accomplish that by raising fares...)

I suppose the real "learning" here, is that even as equipped management may be with all the "data", that still doesn't always lead them to make the most optimal decisions. Clearly lots of other factors at work as well (e.g., labor), but I think the blanket maligning of "common sense" armchair CEO-ing isn't always fair.

JonNYC Aug 16, 2016 7:21 am

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 27068053)
You're talking about T4 only, yes? If so, what are these gates now? 41, 43, 48B?

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 27068126)
Very open to correction on this (I'm just passing along, and most definitely out of my element here) but I believe it's 3 in T4 and one in T6 (which is only good up to a 767). The actual gate numbers I bet someone else will know.

When those are filled they can of course use TBIT for some, and sometimes remote gates. But, obviously, things start getting very messy very quickly then both in terms of customer experience and manpower.

To circle back around on this, yes, those are AA's widebody gates at LAX:
T4: 41, 43, and 48B, and T6,61.

AA is negotiating to take up to 4 gates in T5 when DL moves out, as a result T6 improvements by AA are on hold, to my understanding, which may or may not be correct.

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 27067899)
...Also was at LAX Friday night and noticed AA is now using some of Alaska's high-T6 gates. Saw two AA planes there.

This, to be clear, is -not- referring to Gates 60-63? Thanks for clarification, if possible.

LAX mainline onetime rate is 60%. Eagle at LAX much higher.

MAH4546 Aug 16, 2016 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 27072085)
To circle back around on this, yes, those are AA's widebody gates at LAX:
T4: 41, 43, and 48B, and T6,61.

AA is negotiating to take up to 4 gates in T5 when DL moves out, as a result T6 improvements by AA are on hold, to my understanding, which may or may not be correct.

This, to be clear, is -not- referring to Gates 60-63? Thanks for clarification, if possible.

LAX mainline onetime rate is 60%. Eagle at LAX much higher.

Correct. Saw a pair of AA planes mixed in with AS jets in the high-60 gates from the AS lounge on Friday while waiting for my ANC redeye.

JonNYC Aug 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 27073575)
Correct. Saw a pair of AA planes mixed in with AS jets in the high-60 gates from the AS lounge on Friday while waiting for my ANC redeye.

I'm told AA "owns" those gates (60-63)

MAH4546 Aug 16, 2016 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 27073627)
I'm told AA "owns" those gates (60-63)

Yes, AA "owns" 60-63. I saw AA planes parked at the high-60 gates, 64-69.

JonNYC Aug 16, 2016 2:28 pm

As just to step on the corpse's face a bit... A rumor-- pretty solid rumor, really, of a airport construction project that will further negatively impact AA @ LAX, seeming closing off or limiting-- temporarily-- 2-4 AA gates, necessitating more flights using remote gates during the repair of an already super-congested part of the terminal. DL will be impacted as well. Unknown start date.

rasheed Aug 16, 2016 3:03 pm

So except for the specific downgauging (which might be due to widebody gate constraints or seasonal demand, maybe not), my impression is that demand itself is really strong as AA's route expansion and very aggressive large company contracting is doing well. This also reduces the need for the AA mileage and elite programs to be competitive as these contract flyers don't have a big choice (more of my opinion).

We're not talking about LAX dominance, but these large companies are contracting with some significant AA route expectations. Where at one time many of us thought T6 would be a LUS relic, it was agreed that AA needed every gate it has access to even if it was logistically bad. I don't see low prices as a function of capacity issues, but more so as a competitive norm and ensuring every seat is filled.

However, I think AA could really pump up its TBIT usage in the morning and late nights. I know TBIT in mid-day is rather full, but my belief is AA still has more availability to use TBIT, but is still reluctant for whatever reason. With the very nicely built connector which has lots of AA branding as well, they need to schedule more of these flights. Of course, the obvious answer might be that AA doesn't have much morning or late night gate shortages.

I don't mind DFW, ORD, PHX or PHL hub route reductions, but at some point we will need the neighboring airports to get some options here. I think an AA ONT-CHI (WN offered)/BUR-CHI or an AA SNA-PHL (UA has EWR) would be very feasible ways to shift some LAX traffic. Whether AA gets the traffic at LAX or elsewhere shouldn't matter.

I think close to LAX airports need to be a bigger part of the AA game in SoCal. I mean, it has been forever since I have been on the upper departure level at LAX because of the ridesharing stuff - it does not move. It is completely unavailable -- I do all of my departures from the lower level now.

Rasheed

JonNYC Aug 23, 2016 2:58 pm

LAWA still not giving AA the gates in TBIT that would help, causing remote gates for some time-sensitive turns on important equipment on important flights.

rasheed Aug 27, 2016 3:07 pm

http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/...08-02-2016.pdf (pg 115)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27090897-post185.html

More updates and changes to be done in less than a year (by 5/2017). Much sooner than I expected (but likely to get delayed).

AA is definitely losing 60-63.

I had thought AA was going to be heavy in T5, not the case. AS still in T6 (consolidate VX). AA just has a few marked T5 gates to come online. Many T5 gates will be common use. B6 and HA to be neighbors in T5 including Spirit as well.

So, if you are on an AA operated, you will not have T6 anymore, but AS will still be in T6.

Further, overseas WN and QR are both moving to TBIT (airside bus T1 to TBIT for WN). As everyone has seen, WN has been announcing new overseas service from LAX.

AA doesn't need to announce anything with LAWA, but it would be nice to do something or more formally figure out its gate use in T5 and TBIT especially since the flight cap is being removed (in exchange for giving up on the runway separation plan).

Rasheed

ty97 Aug 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed (Post 27127875)
More updates and changes to be done in less than a year (by 5/2017). Much sooner than I expected (but likely to get delayed).

AA is definitely losing 60-63.

I had thought AA was going to be heavy in T5, not the case. AS still in T6 (consolidate VX). AA just has a few marked T5 gates to come online. Many T5 gates will be common use. B6 and HA to be neighbors in T5 including Spirit as well.

So, if you are on an AA operated, you will not have T6 anymore, but AS will still be in T6.

Since this is really all just a gate shuffle to accommodate Delta's move to T2/T3, I did not expect AA to come out of it with anything but a wash as far as gates go. AA gives up 60/61/62/63, but gets 51A/51B/53A/53B which brings the four gates closer to AA's main operations in T4.

JonNYC Aug 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 27128827)
Since this is really all just a gate shuffle to accommodate Delta's move to T2/T3, I did not expect AA to come out of it with anything but a wash as far as gates go. AA gives up 60/61/62/63, but gets 51A/51B/53A/53B which brings the four gates closer to AA's main operations in T4.

That would be my take as well.

On the short term front; construction project for T4-T5 apron is scheduled to start in Oct, and, unfortunately, guaranteed to cause more problems.

golfingboy Aug 27, 2016 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 27128827)

And once DL moves out and AA finally takes over T5 (in exchange for getting rid of the Eagle terminal), another reshuffling?

LAX domestic terminals has been a mess for years and showing no signs of improvement in the foreseeable future :( This is someone who called LAX my home airport for over 6 years.

Fanjet Aug 28, 2016 12:43 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 27128974)
And once DL moves out and AA finally takes over T5 (in exchange for getting rid of the Eagle terminal), another reshuffling?

But is that still going to be the case? IIRC, AA was originally going to shutter the Eagle's Nest and have total use of T5. But if they are just switching 4 gates in T6 for 4 gates in T5, they will still need to keep the Eagle's Nest operational.

rasheed Aug 28, 2016 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 27128974)

This is my point. LAWA needs to think a little more long-term before approving the DL plan. Why setup these AA gates (at significant DL cost) in T5 knowing some more changes are to happen again?

I am told that the mid-field concourse/terminal/gates are in construction (the old Qantas building has been removed). However, I still think we are looking at up to two more years for that project. AA is definitely first in line for those gates.

In any case, the AA RT (Eagle's Nest) is going to be around for awhile.

Rasheed