Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX Growth Announcement Week of 18 Jan 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MAH4546
New routes announced so far:

DFW-BZN, daily CR9, winter & summer seasonal
DFW-BOI, daily A319
DFW-SUX, daily ERJ145
DFW-SWO, 2x daily ERJ145

LGA-MVY, 3 weekly CR2, summer seasonal
LGA-BGR, 2 weekly CR2, summer seasonal
LGA-MYR, 2 weekly CR2, summer seasonal
LGA-ACK, 3 weekly ERJ170, summer seasonal
LGA-SDF, 1 daily CR2

CLT-SJC, daily A319, eastbound redeye, summer seasonal

ORD-SMF, double daily 738 including one eastbound redeye

LAX-SEA, 5 daily (4x A319 / 1x ERJ-175)
LAX-PDX, 3 daily ERJ-175
LAX-MSP, 2 daily A319
LAX-MSY, 1 daily 738
LAX-MCI, 1 daily A319
LAX-OMA, 1 daily A319
LAX-BDL, 1 daily 738, eastbound redeye
LAX-ANC, 1 daily, A319 seasonal
LAX-DRO, 1 daily, seasonal
LAX-RDU, 2nd daily, summer seasonal, A319

Route CUTS:
PHL-SMF
PHX-YYC
PHX-YEG (moving to winter seasonal)
Print Wikipost

LAX Growth Announcement Week of 18 Jan 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke
It will be interesting to see which route is the easier upgrade to clear - My guess would be LAX HKG
Concur. The 4x daily CX LAXHKG will see to that.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:48 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

In addition to the other predictions (don't think there will be any new Mexico flying aside from CUN) I have a hunch they may add a Montana city or two.

I hope they will explore making LAX-PIT daily again (seasonally at least) and re-time the flight to connect with the SYD/AKL/HND bank (flight starts the day from LAX rather than PIT) as the Asia connections aren't of much use since those connections are well covered by ORD/DFW.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I don't know if it's a "bold" prediction or not, but on top of the official announcement for LAX-HKG tomorrow, I'm guessing that AA will announce that PE will debut on the DFW/LAX-HKG routes, to coincide with the start of LAX-HKG.

The breakdown I wrote for AirlineReporter (to which I am a regular contributer, per FT disclosure rules):
Will American Debut Premium Economy Between Los Angeles & Hong Kong?

Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke
It will be interesting to see which route is the easier upgrade to clear - My guess would be LAX HKG
Originally Posted by DWFI
Concur. The 4x daily CX LAXHKG will see to that.
If AA introduces PE on this route, upgrades from Y may get a little more complicated.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
How would PE debut on those routes if they've announced it will debut on the 789s they start receiving at the end of this year? Unless you're suggesting that the 789s will debut on those routes?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Microwave
How would PE debut on those routes if they've announced it will debut on the 789s they start receiving at the end of this year? Unless you're suggesting that the 789s will debut on those routes?
Definitely not going to be 789s. Announcements are always subject to change, so I guess I'm suggesting that the timeframe for PE might change and that they put it on a few 77Ws first. Admittedly pure speculation on my part, and we'll see tomorrow what's in store.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I don't know if it's a "bold" prediction or not, but on top of the official announcement for LAX-HKG tomorrow, I'm guessing that AA will announce that PE will debut on the DFW/LAX-HKG routes, to coincide with the start of LAX-HKG.

The breakdown I wrote for AirlineReporter (to which I am a regular contributer, per FT disclosure rules):
Will American Debut Premium Economy Between Los Angeles & Hong Kong?

If AA introduces PE on this route, upgrades from Y may get a little more complicated.
Did you proofread before you publish? January 21 is Thursday
American Airlines is hosting a press conference on Wednesday, January 21, at the world-famous Hollywood Bowl, and AirlineReporter has been invited to attend this special “preview” for the media.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mbfanos
Did you proofread before you publish? January 21 is Thursday
Dag nabbit, thanks for pointing that out. That had been edited out but I think the 2nd-to-last version snuck back in there.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Thanks for sharing. I've got two trips to HK this year on CX (F/J and PEY) but may switch over to AA next year if fares are better.

I also am wondering about AA's plans with LGB (they have a pre-merger US LGB-PHX) so if you hear anything about that, please share.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I'd be amazed if the 77Ws saw PE this year.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But that's sort of the point, AA hasn't yet announced how upgrades will work when PE is introduced (and has announced that they haven't even figured that out yet!), so why would they be introducing it before they figure out how it'll actually work?

They have to have all the booking/etc logistics of a new cabin in place before they can actually introduce it on planes, don't they?

So the timing and details of what AirlineReporter is suggesting seems to conflict with the everything mentioned in the Premium Economy thread (including quotes from AA):
unless what they're going to announce Thursday is a flight that won't start until the very of the year (but do they usually announce flights that far in advance?).
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But that's sort of the point, AA hasn't yet announced how upgrades will work when PE is introduced (and has announced that they haven't even figured that out yet!), so why would they be introducing it before they figure out how it'll actually work?

They have to have all the booking/etc logistics of a new cabin in place before they can actually introduce it on planes, don't they?

So the timing and details of what AirlineReporter is suggesting seems to conflict with the everything mentioned in the Premium Economy thread (including quotes from AA):
unless what they're going to announce Thursday is a flight that won't start until the very of the year (but do they usually announce flights that far in advance?).
LAX-HKG is getting, IIRC, a June start date.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Just on the sheer-speculation department -- and knowing absolutely nothing about how this sort of thing works -- couldn't they just take something similar to the Cathay versions of the 77W, either 77H (with the Flagship First replacing the Cathay First) or the 77G (less-likely) and having no First Class?

Those versions of the plane already use the same Business Class seats, don't they?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dp4m
Just on the sheer-speculation department -- and knowing absolutely nothing about how this sort of thing works -- couldn't they just take something similar to the Cathay versions of the 77W, either 77H (with the Flagship First replacing the Cathay First) or the 77G (less-likely) and having no First Class?
Yes and no.

It's probably easier to think of planes as less like automobiles and more akin to houses. The only things Boeing manufactures for the cabin interior are the overhead bins and the wall/ceiling panels. Everything else is customized by the airlines themselves, and most of the time the design and layout becomes proprietary to said airline if it's "special" enough.

So one airline COULD theoretcially just say, "Give me a 77W with the same setup as CX" there are limitations. A specific example in CX's case: while the basic J seat model is "off-the-shelf," the design is proprietary to CX, so no other carrier can use it; as such, AA had to license the design from CX for use on their 77Ws.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Yes and no.

It's probably easier to think of planes as less like automobiles and more akin to houses. The only things Boeing manufactures for the cabin interior are the overhead bins and the wall/ceiling panels. Everything else is customized by the airlines themselves, and most of the time the design and layout becomes proprietary to said airline if it's "special" enough.

So one airline COULD theoretcially just say, "Give me a 77W with the same setup as CX" there are limitations. A specific example in CX's case: while the basic J seat model is "off-the-shelf," the design is proprietary to CX, so no other carrier can use it; as such, AA had to license the design from CX for use on their 77Ws.
unrelated, good call in your piece on the LAX-Seattle and LAX-Portland intel ^
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Originally Posted by JonNYC
unrelated, good call in your piece on the LAX-Seattle and LAX-Portland intel ^
When are LAX-PDX/SEA starting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.