Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PHL: Sir please put your tagged bags on the carousel. ...???

PHL: Sir please put your tagged bags on the carousel. ...???

Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
How does this procedure apply to disabled passengers?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by James Fleming
I remember at JFK T4 when you had to wheel your own bag to the TSA xray "pile".
Thats how they do it at DCA...
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I checked in at the PHL elite counter yesterday with 2 bags to check. I used the 'kiosk in the cluster' to get my BP and moved to the agent near the belt. She applied the baggage stickers to my luggage and asked me to place the larger item on the belt while she put the smaller item on the belt.

Ironically the larger item weighed much less than the smaller one.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:25 am

This has nothing to do with gender. If a perspective employee can't lift a certain amount of weight, then he/she shouldn't be hired. Ability to lift a certain amount should be in the job specifications. I recently saw a female baggage handler that was unable to lift a large piece of luggage. If a baggage handler can't lift up to a certain amount, be it male or female, then they are in the wrong job.

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I checked in at the PHL elite counter yesterday with 2 bags to check. I used the 'kiosk in the cluster' to get my BP and moved to the agent near the belt. She applied the baggage stickers to my luggage and asked me to place the larger item on the belt while she put the smaller item on the belt.

Ironically the larger item weighed much less than the smaller one.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
As noted above, I've had to do this for years at DCA. No big deal.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by aceflyer2
This has nothing to do with gender. If a perspective employee can't lift a certain amount of weight, then he/she shouldn't be hired. Ability to lift a certain amount should be in the job specifications. I recently saw a female baggage handler that was unable to lift a large piece of luggage. If a baggage handler can't lift up to a certain amount, be it male or female, then they are in the wrong job.
Ability to lift up to 70 lb is a job requirement.

The new self-service desk at MIA (which opened over 2 years ago) is the same way. The other, older desks have these fancy transfer belts that move the bags from the scale to the belt automatically, but it was presumably cheaper to not install them and have the passenger do it. I'd imagine that the company is also saving money by not having to worry about workman's comp claims from agents lifting heavy baggage. I've seen agents assist elderly or disabled passengers with their luggage, though, even though they're technically not supposed to for insurance reasons or something.

I'm still not understanding what the big deal is. My first experience with this was at JFK T5. How is this any different than when we had to take our tagged bags to TSA for inspection?

I'd rather place my own bag on the belt than have a stranger throw it, anyway.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by aceflyer2
I don't agree. Are you saying airlines should only hire people that can lift heavy bags for 8 hours a day? That would be terrible for the employee. If the PAX can't lift their own bag they should travel lighter or ship separately. Complaints about the bag not reaching its destination, or terrible food are more worth complaining about than this. So the person that originally wrote the post who said this may break the camels back, just wants the employees back broken instead. That isn't right.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
I don't agree. Are you saying airlines should only hire people that can lift heavy bags for 8 hours a day?
Actually, the best thing would be for the scale to be connected to the belt, to avoid anyone having to lift the bag twice. I find the setup at places like JFK T5 to be quite awkward. It's not a big deal, but feels pretty cheap.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by Yllanes
Actually, the best thing would be for the scale to be connected to the belt, to avoid anyone having to lift the bag twice. I find the setup at places like JFK T5 to be quite awkward. It's not a big deal, but feels pretty cheap.
I totally agree! If there is a way to prevent injury it should be done. KLM in AMS has been using this type of belt for years! The check in agent sits right next to the belt and presses a button instead of doing heavy lifting!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:38 pm
Suspended

I don't agree. Are you saying airlines should only hire people that can lift heavy bags for 8 hours a day? That would be terrible for the employee. If the PAX can't lift their own bag they should travel lighter or ship separately. Complaints about the bag not reaching its destination, or terrible food are more worth complaining about than this. So the person that originally wrote the post who said this may break the camels back, just wants the employees back broken instead. That isn't right.
It's a job requirement. If they don't want to do it/incapable of doing it they are more than welcome to find another job.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by phlwookie
I hope you all are complaining to AA about this, not just on here ...
I did. And I've read about how absolutely generic the responses could be but I was stunned by what I got back:

Originally Posted by Tristian Stone / Customer Relations / American Airlines
We very much appreciate the time you took to send us your suggestion about our service. Your idea certainly has merit and it clearly reflects the thought that went into it.

It is always helpful for us to consider our service from our customers' perspective. We try to be responsive to our customers and carefully analyze trend information based upon their reactions. In this way we can identify those service elements that are most appealing as well as improve those that produce a negative response.

Our aim is to suit the needs and wishes of the majority of our customers. As we determine the appropriate action in this regard, your preferences will be considered. Thank you for giving us the benefit of your observations.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by bitburgr
I did. And I've read about how absolutely generic the responses could be but I was stunned by what I got back:
Wait... Aren't they supposed to put something specific about your request between paragraph one and two? AA does have boiler plate text to use in responding to messages, but all too often respond with something totally out of context. Seems this one is choosing to not even do that (maybe a former LAA FA?).
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I totally agree! If there is a way to prevent injury it should be done. KLM in AMS has been using this type of belt for years! The check in agent sits right next to the belt and presses a button instead of doing heavy lifting!
These systems are wonderful but expensive and AA has apparently found it more cost-effective to outsource the labor to its customers.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by bitburgr
If it was true self-check, where I would print my own bag check thing (whatever it's called) and put in on my bag myself, then sure, I'll lay it on the carousel. They aren't so busy that they can't do it.
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
These systems are wonderful but expensive and AA has apparently found it more cost-effective to outsource the labor to its customers.
Well, they've done it. (Some of) The check-in kiosks now print out your bag check sticker and display instructions on how to apply it. The only thing (some of the) agents have to do is scan the bar code...passengers still have to put the suitcase on the conveyor.

Outsourcing labor to the customers, indeed.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:08 am

T1 at JFK has this system or at the RAM does so I amuse everyone does as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.