OP-UPs on BA for AAdv elites

Old Jan 8, 16, 9:51 am
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
OP-UPs on BA for AAdv elites

There is a long thread on BA forum about BAEC elites getting regularly operational upgrades on BA flights. I was wondering if AAdv elites ever get any op-ups on BA, and where do we rank in the BA op-up upgrade order. Are EXPs and other OW Emeralds right after BAEC Golds, or below even BAEC lowest elites?

What have your experiences been? Any tips to score more op-ups on BA, like early check-in?

I know that the poor BAEC elites that's all they've got (the op-ups), and I don't mean to be greedy, I am just asking...

Last edited by nk15; Jan 8, 16 at 10:09 am
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:12 am

Asking a gate agent when they're not busy is probably better way to get at the technically correct ordering.

With that said, I've had good luck as an EXP on Y to Y+. Don't think check-in time matters (I've had both 24h and 3h checkins) as those get processed about five minutes before boarding starts, after they've tried selling the $x00 cash upgrade offers to everyone in the gate area and didn't get enough takers (I've been explicitly prompted whether I'd like this paid upgrade on each flight where I've gotten an op-up). Just need an overbooked cabin with few (no?) BA elites.
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:14 am

Programs: DL DM, AA GLD
I got a Y to J (skipped over Y+) op-up last year LHR-JFK as an EXP, so it's definitely possible. But my only advice would be to definitely, definitely not expect it.
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've received my fair share of them as EXP (paid World Traveller to World Traveller Plus, paid World Traveller Plus to Club World, even a couple of paid Euro Traveller to Club Europe, but never paid Club World to First), even a couple as Platinum. I've never flown BA without one of those two statuses. My most recent BA flight was BOS-LHR less than a week ago; Mrs Microwave and I were both upgraded to World Traveller Plus on N fares (she has no status). There were empty seats in Y as well, so it wasn't a cabin roll... I didn't ask too many questions.

In comparison, I've never been given an op-up on AA, ever. And I fly them quite a bit too.
Old Jan 8, 16, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
I've received my fair share of them as EXP (paid World Traveller to World Traveller Plus, paid World Traveller Plus to Club World, even a couple of paid Euro Traveller to Club Europe, but never paid Club World to First), even a couple as Platinum. I've never flown BA without one of those two statuses. My most recent BA flight was BOS-LHR less than a week ago; Mrs Microwave and I were both upgraded to World Traveller Plus on N fares (she has no status). There were empty seats in Y as well, so it wasn't a cabin roll... I didn't ask too many questions.

In comparison, I've never been given an op-up on AA, ever. And I fly them quite a bit too.
I've flown them for less than a week and I was op up'ed GRR-DFW, Y was oversold.
Old Jan 8, 16, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
I've flown them for less than a week and I was op up'ed GRR-DFW, Y was oversold.
I suppose having spent the majority of my time as EXP, I'd have considered such a situation an upgrade as part of the programme... In fact, I'd suggest you keep an eye on your sticker balance to be sure they didn't deduct one–if you'd requested an upgrade on that flight, they definitely would have done.
Old Jan 8, 16, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
I suppose having spent the majority of my time as EXP, I'd have considered such a situation an upgrade as part of the programme... In fact, I'd suggest you keep an eye on your sticker balance to be sure they didn't deduct one–if you'd requested an upgrade on that flight, they definitely would have done.
I didn't request one. I was status matched over from UA, so my sticker balance is 0.

OP, if you're flying on BA, let us know if you have any luck.
Old Jan 8, 16, 11:27 am

As GAs have godlike powers, if they put you into X it's possible your sticker balance could go negative. Just keep en eye out.
Old Jan 8, 16, 11:36 am
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

I am glad to hear that some op-ups occur.

I have received an op-up from international business to first on AA, when I was a Plat, but nothing yet on BA, even as an EXP. I am really hoping for one from Club World to First, as I have many flights booked with them in discounted business...

Do you think that booking class matters, or even if the BA flights are BA vs. AA marketed? My guess is not for the latter, but who knows...
Old Jan 8, 16, 11:50 am
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

OP, if you're flying on BA, let us know if you have any luck.
I did a few segments on BA metal last year, no luck. I have about a dozen segments booked with them in 2016, so maybe I will get one op-up out of them, if I am lucky?
Old Jan 8, 16, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
I did a few segments on BA metal last year, no luck. I have about a dozen segments booked with them in 2016, so maybe I will get one op-up out of them, if I am lucky?
We're all the ones you tried from Club World to First? I would think there's a lot better chance to Club World instead.
Old Jan 8, 16, 12:01 pm

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
I have been op-up from Y to Y+ when I was EXP on YYZ-LHR flight and return. I didn't ask for it; it was freely given. The Mrs and kid, both non-status, got op-up as well.
Old Jan 8, 16, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
You're making me wish I had tried harder last year to reach EXP! I've flown a fair number of segments on BA in full-fare Y as US Silver and AA Gold and more recently a few segments as Plat. Was only ever moved up (Y to Y+) once - I'm pretty sure it was random, and not related to my status (Gold at the time). If you read the BA forums, they say that it appears BA likes to spread out the op-ups across a range of passengers so many people get a "taste" of the higher cabin. Anecdotally that seems to be true- my wife has flown exactly 4 segments on BA over the past few years and was upped to Y+ on one of them (with no status at the time). I've also talked to some fellow passengers holding no status coming off BA flights who were surprised and pleased at unexpected upgrades. So no added priority for full-fare Y or for the lower elite levels, in my experience.
Old Jan 8, 16, 12:03 pm
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

We're all the ones you tried from Club World to First? I would think there's a lot better chance to Club World instead.
It could be, good point. And come to think of it some of my future club Europe segments don't have first class to op-up to, so I have only about half a dozen chances in 2016.
Old Jan 8, 16, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Wife and I flew TLV-LHR-ORD, ticketed in WT+ (Premium Economy, although the TLV-LHR was in WT as it was a 3 cabin plane)

Upon entry at the Galleries First Lounge in LHR, we were presented with new boarding passes in Club World for the LHR-ORD leg.

We were both EXP/OWE at the time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: