Search

LAX-DFW: Upgrade for dog-lover only

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum

At the risk of being branded anti-pet:

New Year's flight from LAX-DFW. Sitting in 1C (bulkhead). Gentleman boards with a large husky. Sits in 1F. Husky sits on the floor in front of him, one-third into 1D. With the bulkhead, there is no where else for the dog to go.

1D remains open. Gate agent boards to inform someone in back that he has been upgraded. As they approach the seat, agent tells the newly-upgraded passenger that if he is not a dog-lover and willing to have the dog partially under his feet, they will upgrade someone else.

Setting aside the possibility that the husky was an unmarked service dog, hard to understand why the agent believes an upgrade should be conditioned upon a willingness to give up one-third of one's legroom. Doesn't the upgraded passenger have a right to his space?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs

Wouldn't bother me. I like dogs. Flying with a friendly dog to pet would be a great bonus.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:52 pm

I'd probably take the upgrade on the theory that the GA would put another pax into the seat while taking my stickers as if I had accepted the u/g (lazy...). Then I'd complain to AA. You're right that each passenger gets a certain amount of space and nobody--especially chattel cargo--has a right to intrude upon it.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I guess it can work both ways... Several months ago, I was in my usual aisle bulkhead (738), when a woman with a large German Shepherd sits in the center seat next to me. She led the dog to sit in the center aisle next to me. FA told her that was not allowed, so she tried to put the dog where me legs were. I told her that was not going to work for a 4 hour flight, the FA backed me up, and the lady was reseated at the back of the plane. I guess dogs don't always trump people.
(and for the record, I'm a dog person, have a dog, but that's not really the point here).
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
How is this not a safety hazard ? especially in a middle or aisle seat

I can't put my stuff there (reasonably so) so why should an animal be in my way in case of an emergency

how do we know the animal won't go the wrong way in an evacuation creating issues for everyone trying to get out?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Yet another case of people bringing their dogs on board that shouldn't.
I've said it repeatedly - this is REALLY getting out of hand. I wish the FAA/airlines would have a spine and stand up to these people and tell them that pets can actually survive if left at home, as can they - or maybe they shouldn't fly if they can't.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Wow - I would be ticked. On the OP - I would have made a stink and probably not accepted the upgrade - how the FA/GA allowed a dog to take up another ticketed passenfer's seat space is beyond me. Purchase two seats.

As for the dog in the aisle - that is far from acceptable. Safety issue and just a nuisance to other passengers. I mean - BOTH passengers paid for a ticket - both with rights.

I am a dog lover, I used to travel with my dog all the time - 12 pounds, in a soft sided carrier under the seat in front of me. In fact, when I rescued her I was looking for a small dog so I could take her along with me as I was traveling so much. But this is really out of control now. I just a person in the last row of FC with a beagle in their lap - I would not have wanted to be seated next to them.

There has to be an acknowledgement of what the airlines can accommodate and cannot. Also, I have allergies, if someone brings a dirty pet on to a plane - I immediately know and start to have a reaction. If I was seated in the space that the OP described and that dog was dirty I would be horribly sick. And my allergies are mild - people with bad allergies are in a bad position.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I've said it repeatedly - this is REALLY getting out of hand.
I was on 2 AA flights today. Both had dogs not in carriers (German Shepherd and poodle mix.)
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
The rules on service animals require that they fit in the space of their assigned seat or they are required to travel as baggage.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:58 pm

So... I'm sitting in Coach and the FA comes back and says "I have an upgrade to First available, but only if you are willing to share some legroom space with a dog."

PICK ME!!! ME!!!! OVER HERE!!! ME!!! ME!!! PICK ME!!!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
So... I'm sitting in Coach and the FA comes back and says "I have an upgrade to First available, but only if you are willing to share some legroom space with a dog."

My thoughts exactly.

Along with: IS THE DOG CUTE? CAN I PET IT? Flying with a dog next to/under me would be a perk.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:25 pm

Actually the way it works for you and I (non-EXP) is: You're sitting in Coach and the FA comes back and says "I have an upgrade to First available for X stickers, but only if you are willing to spend 100% of the required stickers and receive 66% of the seat."
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
Actually the way it works for you and I (non-EXP) is: You're sitting in Coach and the FA comes back and says "I have an upgrade to First available for X stickers, but only if you are willing to spend 100% of the required stickers and receive 66% of the seat."
No problem. I'm 5'4" and need only 66% of the legroom.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:50 pm

No problem. I'm 5'4" and need only 66% of the legroom.
To each his own...for my money...I want 100% of what I paid for.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
I love my dog. I don't love other people's dogs and would not be opposed to some limits to the allowed size. Small dogs are annoying enough at times, but my 70 pound lab would be excessive, even for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.