Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015. Bags are scanned at several points, and using the app you can generally see where your bags are. Not all airports have this capability.

Originally Posted by LPDAL
Bags at hubs are “mega scanned” or scanned at every point of contact. The first point of scan would most likely be the sorter where the bag is sent to the corresponding belt where the flight is being loaded.

Bags that miss their flights are delivered to the expeditor(s) who handle IROPS bags and send them on their way. Most likely, the bag is sent on the next AA flight. We are able to send bags on various other airlines but sending them on our own metal is always preferable.
Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage <status tier> Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator

Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport

What if I need clothing or toiletries because my baggage is missing?

Link

Reimbursement

We will reimburse you for items you need immediately while away from home without your bags. Within 45 days of your delay, please send us:

Your 13-character file reference number
A copy of your ticket receipt and baggage claim checks
Your original, dated, itemized receipts

Send verification items to:

American Airlines Central Baggage
4000 East Sky Harbor Boulevard
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Fax: 480-693-2305
American Airlines: Delayed Baggage: Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.[/color][color="Navy"]
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status

If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records

If you’re unable to submit online, you can send your claim and verification items by mail or fax.

American Airlines Central Baggage
4000 East Sky Harbor Boulevard
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Fax: 480-693-2305

Link
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries

Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.
If from an international flight, Article 17 of the Montreal Convention applies; see below. The final operating carrier is responsible for locating and returning, or compensating the checking passenger if not delivered within 21 days.

"The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travellers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR (XDR currency code, ~$1,652 May 2017). At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, even if the airline delivers it after that period."
The SDR on 28 Aug 2017 was valued at $1.42, so 1,131 SDR was approximately $1,603.00. Use this link to convert SDR to USD.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Link to PDF about baggage damage and loss by Christopher Cotter, Attorney at Law.

[QUOTE]Q. I flew internationally. What rules governs baggage damage or loss?

Article 17 of the Montreal Convention:

"2. The carrier liable for damage sustained in case of destruction or loss of, or of damage to, checked baggage upon condition only that the event which caused the destruction, loss or damage took place on board the aircraft or during any period within which the checked baggage was in the charge of the carrier. However, the carrier is not liable if and to the extent that the damage resulted from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage. In the case of unchecked baggage, including personal items, the carrier is liable if the damage resulted from its fault or that of its servants or agents.

3. If the carrier admits the loss of the checked baggage, or if the checked baggage has not arrived at the expiration of twenty-one days after the date on which it ought to have arrived, the passenger is entitled to enforce against the carrier the rights which flow from the contract of carriage.

4. Unless otherwise specified, in this Convention the term "baggage" means both checked baggage and unchecked baggage."

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost).
  • Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.

Link to posts prior to 2019

Print Wikipost

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I remember it taking quite a while in our case. Maybe a few weeks? But then I was also arguing with them when they were being stingy. Never did get the bag back.

Incidentally, my Chase or Citi travel insurance (can’t remember which) did end p covering what AA did not. So that was very satisfying.
Update here. Finally called today as the claim I submitted on 3 December for a bag that went missing on 24 November had never received a reply.

Called early AM UK time and was told to call back when Central Baggage Services was open (they open at 8am CT for anyone wondering). Called again and got through to someone who was very apologetic but couldn’t find any trace of my initial claim. The fact that it was now over 30 days since the delay wasn’t mentioned and she said she’d sort me out right away if I emailed over an itemised expense log and proof with my bank details. I did this and got an email back about 4 hours later telling me my claim was approved. The backlog is about 24 days at the moment apparently.

For info, I claimed $380 for clothing on what turned out to be a 3 day bag delay on a basic economy ticket from EDI-ONT for a BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire). Was keen to keep inside my insurance limit so didn’t go crazy. The clothes mostly came from Zara and Uniqlo with some gym stuff bought in Under Armour and Nike.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:01 am

Hi everyone. I would appreciate your help/advice/input

I was on a trip Zurich-Amsterdam-LA-Portland(OR). My ticket was booked with Delta, but in AMS, the KLM (partnering airline) rescheduled me to have my final leg of the journey with AA (for the LA-Portland flight).

My checked bag didn't make it into Portland even though I rechecked it in LA (entering the US from an international flight, so needed to be rechecked). I filed the claim immediately at the PDX airport with AA.
My flight was on Jan 17. Five days later, I filled the Passenger Property Questionnaire.
In the email I got, I was told that they "expect to resolve [my] claim by 3-6-2022". That means that they take around 45 days before declaring my bag as lost. I am wondering if that us a usual practice because 45 days seems like way too long.
On the phone, the Central Baggage representative told me that "if they found my bag, they would reimburse me for the receipt I submitted on the 3rd day for buying necessities ($50ish); and if they don't find my bag, they would only reimburse me for the bag contents".

Now, these two questions stand:
1. Is 45 days unreasonable amount of time that the airline is waiting before declaring it as lost? If so, what is your suggestion?
2. If they don't find the bag, how can they reimburse me only for the contents of it and not for the expenses that I've had in the meantime (aka, in the 45 days that I was left without basically most of my possessions).

P.S. I don't live in Portland, but go to college here, if that is relevant. Thank you!!
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is a case where AA staff are making things up as they go along

You are entitled to compensation under the Montreal Convention to a maximum (iirc) of XDR1288 (approx USD1800)

This covers loss of bags and also for delay to baggage. Once it has been delayed 21 days, it can be classed as lost

Originally Posted by article 7
If the carrier admits the loss of the checked baggage,or if the checked baggage has not arrived at the expiration of twenty-one days after the date on which it ought to have arrived, the passenger is entitled to enforce against the carrier the rights which flow from the contract of carriage.
You are entitled to reimbursement of expenses incurred PLUS value of bag if not found, up to a maximum of the liability

Article 22 says

Originally Posted by article22
In the carriage of baggage, the liability of the carrier in the case of destruction, loss, damage or delay is limited to 1 000 Special Drawing Rights for each passenger
I believe that the 1000 has been increased to 1131 and then to 1288
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 3, 2022 at 2:23 pm
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:11 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Looking for advice on how I can track a lost bag. Flew BOS-PHL-DFW on one ticket. Then QR DFW-DOH-NBO about 29 hours after arriving in DFW on a separate ticket. One bag was lost in PHL and did not arrive before I departed DFW (not sure why as there were 10 flights from PHL-DFW). I created a report as soon as I arrived in DFW on 2/14 and then spoke to AA baggage claim office at DFW before boarding my QR flight on 2/15 and they said they would hand over the bag to QR once it arrived. I called AA after arriving in NBO and they had tried to deliver it to my DFW hotel. I had to ask the address be changed to NBO and have the delivery cancelled and agent said it would be put on the first flight to NBO (BA or QR). Another agent managed to give me the worldtracer number which does not show up in worldtracer itself. AA file is closed but AA did say according to their records, the bag was handed over to QR on 2/17 so it should have arrived in NBO by now. QR has not contacted me and the QR central customer service cannot trace it either. I was able to lookup the worldtracer ID on the BA site but there is no tracking information.

Any ideas what I can do track it somehow?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by kq747
Looking for advice on how I can track a lost bag. Flew BOS-PHL-DFW on one ticket. Then QR DFW-DOH-NBO about 29 hours after arriving in DFW on a separate ticket. One bag was lost in PHL and did not arrive before I departed DFW (not sure why as there were 10 flights from PHL-DFW). I created a report as soon as I arrived in DFW on 2/14 and then spoke to AA baggage claim office at DFW before boarding my QR flight on 2/15 and they said they would hand over the bag to QR once it arrived. I called AA after arriving in NBO and they had tried to deliver it to my DFW hotel. I had to ask the address be changed to NBO and have the delivery cancelled and agent said it would be put on the first flight to NBO (BA or QR). Another agent managed to give me the worldtracer number which does not show up in worldtracer itself. AA file is closed but AA did say according to their records, the bag was handed over to QR on 2/17 so it should have arrived in NBO by now. QR has not contacted me and the QR central customer service cannot trace it either. I was able to lookup the worldtracer ID on the BA site but there is no tracking information.

Any ideas what I can do track it somehow?
If AA gave it to QR, it would have a tracking number for the QR trip.
This is on AA if they can't prove it was given to QR.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Speaking in general, working in baggage rerouting, I can only see where the bag has been every step of the way if it’s on AA metal. For OAL, or other airlines, I can only see the scan that the driver makes when delivering it to that other airline, nothing beyond that. That’s why I prefer to reroute on AA metal whenever possible, because it makes tracking the bag down significantly easier.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Hi. I have a question regarding filling the form for incurred expenses for two people due to a 5+ days delayed bag.
I have all the receipts, of course, but I was wondering if I really have to specifically write down every single item bought, one by one, with full description and price in the AA form?
It's a bit time consuming...

Also, it's better to complete one form for both or one each?

Thanks in advance
Old May 19, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Has anyone had a bag simply disappear? Flew BTR-DFW-PHL on Tuesday and one bag made it, the other checked bag did not. The lost bag had a bag tag #, but it says the bag was simply checked in and that's it. AA is telling me the bag tag was deleted out of the system, which makes no sense because they also said that that only happens if someone doesn't get on the plane. Literally no one knows where this bag is.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
That really stinks. The tag probably got ripped off the bag while moving through the conveyors of the Baggage Handling System. If the tag got ripped off, you're at the mercy of the workers in the bag room, and they may not be particularly engaged back there. Maybe it's still sitting in the bag room of BTR...I'd go to the AA counter with a picture of the bag and ask a manager to get someone to search the bag room / make up conveyors etc.....
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Has anyone had a bag simply disappear? Flew BTR-DFW-PHL on Tuesday and one bag made it, the other checked bag did not. The lost bag had a bag tag #, but it says the bag was simply checked in and that's it. AA is telling me the bag tag was deleted out of the system, which makes no sense because they also said that that only happens if someone doesn't get on the plane. Literally no one knows where this bag is.
We had a bag disappear in 2019. Never did get it back. Our tag was still attached bc we did get updates, but AA just never could get the bag back to us. It was absolutely infuriating. They didn’t seem to care one bit. You can read about our saga upthread. I hope you have a better outcome.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: Avios
What is a reasonable amount to claim from AA for

luggage that was not delivered for a trip in Italy?? My daughter and her husband flew on AA718 from from PHL to Rome 3 days ago. They checked one suitcase and it was sent to Paris in error. They still have not received it and the head to Florence tomorrow. It is now looking like they might not receive their only checked suitcase for their entire 1 week trip. They have been buying clothes here and there but they are starting to worry that AA might stiff them on the bills. What is a reasonable amount to claim for clothes etc for a 1 week Italian trip. They are not trying to take advantage of AA , they just asked me about some guidelines and I had no idea??
Old May 29, 2022, 3:18 pm

In total , AA is liable to a maximum of XDR1288 (approx USD1730 ).; keep receipts for purchases made in regards to the luggage delay or loss

What is reasonable depends on where they are going and what they are doing. If they are buying a new set of clothes every day, then that is probably unreasonable
Tilto007 likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In total , AA is liable to a maximum of XDR1288 (approx USD1730 ).; keep receipts for purchases made in regards to the luggage delay or loss

What is reasonable depends on where they are going and what they are doing. If they are buying a new set of clothes every day, then that is probably unreasonable
Thanks ,what would you think would be reasonable for 2 people in Italy for a 7 day trip?? Again they are not trying to hit a Jackpot , just a reasonable amount.
Old May 29, 2022, 3:46 pm

it really depends on what they are doing - for one week on holiday, they probably don't need to buy as much as if attending a formal event

How much have they spent and what have they bought, such that they are concerned?
Old May 29, 2022, 4:02 pm

They are doing normal things , Sightseeing in the day ,going out to dinner at night etc So far they are spending about $100 a day each which is reasonable to me but they don't want to rack up a $1000 to $1400 bill and then be told to pound sand.Also there are some things in the luggage (camera etc) which they really did need that they will not buy in Italy that will certainly affect their trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.