Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015. Bags are scanned at several points, and using the app you can generally see where your bags are. Not all airports have this capability.

Originally Posted by LPDAL
Bags at hubs are “mega scanned” or scanned at every point of contact. The first point of scan would most likely be the sorter where the bag is sent to the corresponding belt where the flight is being loaded.

Bags that miss their flights are delivered to the expeditor(s) who handle IROPS bags and send them on their way. Most likely, the bag is sent on the next AA flight. We are able to send bags on various other airlines but sending them on our own metal is always preferable.
Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage <status tier> Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator

Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport

What if I need clothing or toiletries because my baggage is missing?

Link

Reimbursement

We will reimburse you for items you need immediately while away from home without your bags. Within 45 days of your delay, please send us:

Your 13-character file reference number
A copy of your ticket receipt and baggage claim checks
Your original, dated, itemized receipts

Send verification items to:

American Airlines Central Baggage
4000 East Sky Harbor Boulevard
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Fax: 480-693-2305
American Airlines: Delayed Baggage: Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.[/color][color="Navy"]
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status

If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records

If you’re unable to submit online, you can send your claim and verification items by mail or fax.

American Airlines Central Baggage
4000 East Sky Harbor Boulevard
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Fax: 480-693-2305

Link
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries

Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.
If from an international flight, Article 17 of the Montreal Convention applies; see below. The final operating carrier is responsible for locating and returning, or compensating the checking passenger if not delivered within 21 days.

"The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travellers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR (XDR currency code, ~$1,652 May 2017). At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, even if the airline delivers it after that period."
The SDR on 28 Aug 2017 was valued at $1.42, so 1,131 SDR was approximately $1,603.00. Use this link to convert SDR to USD.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Link to PDF about baggage damage and loss by Christopher Cotter, Attorney at Law.

[QUOTE]Q. I flew internationally. What rules governs baggage damage or loss?

Article 17 of the Montreal Convention:

"2. The carrier liable for damage sustained in case of destruction or loss of, or of damage to, checked baggage upon condition only that the event which caused the destruction, loss or damage took place on board the aircraft or during any period within which the checked baggage was in the charge of the carrier. However, the carrier is not liable if and to the extent that the damage resulted from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage. In the case of unchecked baggage, including personal items, the carrier is liable if the damage resulted from its fault or that of its servants or agents.

3. If the carrier admits the loss of the checked baggage, or if the checked baggage has not arrived at the expiration of twenty-one days after the date on which it ought to have arrived, the passenger is entitled to enforce against the carrier the rights which flow from the contract of carriage.

4. Unless otherwise specified, in this Convention the term "baggage" means both checked baggage and unchecked baggage."

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost).
  • Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.

Link to posts prior to 2019

Print Wikipost

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyinggum
My checked baggage got delayed (not loaded at connection for some reason) and is in another city right now (neither departing, connecting, nor arriving airport) with no info on when it will be back. Even wasted more time driving back to my arriving airport with faulty info from AA that my baggage had arrived at the airport only to find out it hadn't. Is it pretty common for a baggage to not make it if the connection time is around an hour or so? Also, what's the usual turnaround time for AA to reload delayed baggage into another flight? I thought it will be a same day thing, but that hasn't been the case thus far.
It's not common for a bag not to make that type of connection. AA should get the bag to you without you having to return to the airport if you have provided them with an address. If you're away from home they should provide you with reimbursement for necessities but not if you're at home. Most of my delayed bags have been returned in a day or 2, but once I waited for 3 weeks. Good luck.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by BOSishome
Dealing with a very frustrating issue right now...

I was on AA503 from PHX-DFW on Sunday afternoon. Somehow, my bag did not manage to make it on the aircraft despite me checking it in 58 mins before departure. Oh well, no big deal, it’ll come on a later flight. Upon landing at DFW, I have an email in inbox saying that my baggage would be delayed, setup claim, delivery, etc.

My bag ends up coming into DFW on AA1744 at ~9:30P.M. Cool, I’ll have it by morning at the latest... Not so fast, the bag is scanned as unloaded from the plane at 9:36, scanned at Baggage Claim A29 at 9:43... After that, nobody knows where it went.

It either 1) fell off the belt from the ramp to the carousel 2) got stolen off the carousel or 3) something else.

Being impatient as I am, I drive over to claim A29 at DFW tonight.. We go through the closets adjacent to baggage claim... Nothing there. I then suggest we call security to take a look at the cameras for evidence of theft. They come, look at the cameras, etc. No sign of theft (though some angles are/were obstructed). Anyhow, I file a police report with the DFW Airport police. I then call the baggage number and say that I have a police report filed. They immediately direct my claim to the central office (which isn’t supposed to happen till 5 days) and I should receive a call in the morning. Hopefully the squeaky wheel gets the grease on this one, otherwise I’m looking forward to a fat check from AA. Luckily nothing overly valuable besides some expensive clothes (but nothing too expensive).

Sorry if that came across as a continuous train of thought.. I’m fried!!
hoping you now have your bags. The same thing happened to us at SNA but we had 2 bags go missing. We showed up to carousel 2 mins after it started and was on side of camera angle, not chute side and 2 of our bags went missing. This was April 19 and we are now getting reimbursed from airline. Everyone keeps saying they weren’t stolen but that’s the only situation. Mis tagged bags would have been found by now. Stolen or taken by accident and not returned, I guess there’s no difference. Apologies for your situation. We are living it ourselves. Lesson learned on what to do when we land and always make sure you are on side where the bags come down and race to baggage claim as soon as belt starts as apparently theft of bags are on the rise. Sickening feeling
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Ponchsab

hoping you now have your bags. The same thing happened to us at SNA but we had 2 bags go missing. We showed up to carousel 2 mins after it started and was on side of camera angle, not chute side and 2 of our bags went missing. This was April 19 and we are now getting reimbursed from airline. Everyone keeps saying they weren’t stolen but that’s the only situation. Mis tagged bags would have been found by now. Stolen or taken by accident and not returned, I guess there’s no difference. Apologies for your situation. We are living it ourselves. Lesson learned on what to do when we land and always make sure you are on side where the bags come down and race to baggage claim as soon as belt starts as apparently theft of bags are on the rise. Sickening feeling
Just seeing this now-I never did get my bag-but did get a nice $2,600 check from AA and a new Eagle Creek rolling suit-case.

Could've been worse but still would've preferred to have my stuff!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Exec
Hi All.

Hope this question is in the right place. I booked LGA - PHL - BUF in First as I need to get to Buffalo to meet parents who are in Niagara, Canada. I have 1 hour 40 connection time between flights. Is there a substantial chance my luggage will get lost with this amount of time for connection? I'm a huge business trip and really can't do carry-on only, and now I think I may have made a big mistake booking this connecting route...or am I overthinking it?

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Landed in ZRH minus a checked bag. Status reads “bag has not been located”. We are now at our first destination about 4 hours by train away. Needed the hiking shoes, clothes, and jacket that are in the bag today. At what point do we just purchase replacements? I did use CSR to pay the tax on the award tickets, but they cap at $100. Plus seems like AA should be responsible first.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Had to buy shoes, jacket, T-shirt. $300. Things are expensive in this small corner of the world. Only shop open. And AA can’t even tell me where bag is. Geez.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Landed in ZRH minus a checked bag. Status reads “bag has not been located”. We are now at our first destination about 4 hours by train away. Needed the hiking shoes, clothes, and jacket that are in the bag today. At what point do we just purchase replacements? I did use CSR to pay the tax on the award tickets, but they cap at $100. Plus seems like AA should be responsible first.
You make the purchase when you need it. Under the Montreal Convention, AA is liable for lost/delayed baggage to a maximum of XRD1131 ( approx $1564 )

If you have insurance tha covers it, I would just claim off the insurance and then let the insurance company deal with AA
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:14 pm

Try this one on for size... AA baggage supervisor on the phone (800 number) says she’s never encountered this before in all of her years with the airline.

Flying TPA-DFW-Xxx today. TPA-DFW diverted to IAH, then cancelled. Now flying United to Xxx tomorrow from IAH.

Bag tracking shows bag was loaded onto AA TPA flight correctly. Then, while our TPA-DFW was still in the air, shows bag scanned in at baggage claim at MIA. No scans showing offloaded in TPA *or* scanned onto or off of any flight to/in MIA.

Baggage supv. says even if bag “fell off the ramp/plane” on the tarmac in TPA, it shouldn’t have mysteriously appeared at baggage claim in MIA.

Did I just stumble into some weird stuff? I don’t even want to speculate how a bag gets from being loaded on a plane in Tampa to showing up in baggage claim in Miami without being scanned at least once somewhere along the way....I just want my bag back!

Last edited by hapuna; Jul 10, 2019 at 11:42 pm
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You make the purchase when you need it. Under the Montreal Convention, AA is liable for lost/delayed baggage to a maximum of XRD1131 ( approx $1564 )

If you have insurance tha covers it, I would just claim off the insurance and then let the insurance company deal with AA
The Chase Reserve delayed bag insurance is the only insurance I have. I mean, I’ve got homeowners but wouldn’t want to claim through them bc my rates will go up. We are in an expensive tiny town so not many options. I went to the only open store yesterday and got the cheapest items and it was still way over $100. Bag status still says not located. ��

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jul 27, 2019 at 1:57 pm
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:08 am

double post

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jul 11, 2019 at 2:24 am
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:21 am

I finally produced bag tag number status update at Track my Bags on the app. Showed delays and last scan three days ago at PHL baggage claim (PHL was our connection to ZRH). Now when I try to track, the app/page act like I’ve got the number wrong “no record”. I’m really annoyed at this point. Currently on extended hold with phone with them.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jul 12, 2019 at 3:41 am
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, AA PPlat
Had both bags show up 2 days late in MRY last month. Had to purchase all clothes and uniforms for event. CC has $500 coverage and I filed claim at AA. Do I send all receipts to both or split them and handle seperately?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:10 pm

I’m wondering at what point does delayed baggage mean more than basic necessity reimbursement. We are at 4 days from arrival and still no update re bag. It’s more than just getting basics. There is a point where the inconvenience of not having your own items and having to shop are not adequately compensated by replacement value. Plus we are going on the move tomorrow and won’t be in any city more than a day or two. Will we have to wait around at our airbnb for baggage delivery? Not going to happen. I’m extremely annoyed as we enter another day and our travel is impacted.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, AA Gold
I am wondering if anyone knows any options to getting a delayed bag faster and what I have to do to have something perishable replaced if ruined. I bought about 8 lbs of Etivaz Swiss cheese right from a Fromagerie in Switzlerand, where the cheese has a slightly floral taste because of the time of year and the wildflowers in spring that the cows eat (Etivaz region). It's a very high quality cheese and was special, as you could see the herd that produced it & watch them make then vacuseal the cheese. Checked it in luggage on Lufthansa to fly to Canada, knowing (from experience & check-in agent) checked baggage area on the plane is cold; & it was still cold after the 9.5 hour flight. in Calgary it was refrigerated & at the airport AA confirmed that if checked, this bag would definitely get on my flight & was assured to not worry. The gate agent said it had been checked onto the plane. asked me to take a voucher (oversold) and fly on a different flight as I was solo and my bag would still fly on this plane & be waiting there. I said no, as I needed to be with my bag and not have it sit for long anywhere. She said it was already released onto the plane so left me on flight. I arrived in DFW 7:11 and bag didn't make it. Had an extremely disappointing airport experience, with a "customer assistance" man who said he was "not customer service" and the there are "many" flights last night from YYC to DFW to send it on (there are none on any airline - I know the route well). I asked if family could pick it up in Calgary. he said no. I asked that the bag get sent on AA3881 first thing this am. Instead, he told his trainee to request it be sent on AA6356 from YYC to MSP last night at 8 pm, and despite my saying that flight doesn't exist out of Calgary, he said it did and had it requested anyway & said it will arrive at 4 am. I looked it up (he had already left the area & keep doing other things while we were standing there), and flight AA6356 is LHR to Pisa Italy flight; there were no evening flights (as I said) on any airline that would get from Calgary to Dallas sooner than the AA3881 6 am flight. The trainee seemed to realize that but her boss told her to do it so she did.

I called customer service. Barbara requested it "urgent" with "food items" be put on AA3881 this am but couldn't guarantee. They all saw it was sitting in Calgary. Nobody could actually call and ask in Calgary. Said they couldn't. It didn't make it on the flight & is right now still sitting in Calgary with my cheese I was so careful with, & AA not letting my family get my bag, wouldn't put me on a flight this am to go back to Calgary to get the bag, and isn't seeming to do anything. Spent the AM on phone with Elite customer service who couldn't get anyone from baggage to answer phone so simply transferred me to sit on hold for 54 minutes. Then Maria from Elite customer service managed to speak with someone in Calgary who was looking for bag for next flight attempt and would call her in 20 minutes. She wouldn't let me wait on hold and said I simply need to check their website & see if it makes it on.

I'm assuming it will eventually arrive and the other valuables in it will be in tact. But the cheese... it's perishable.

What are my options?? If the cheese is spoiled when it finally arrives, can I order new cheese (same value - I have the receipt) be sent direct from the Switzerland Fromagerie, & how do I get AA to pay for it, when I can't even get them to get my bag - which they know where it is but can't seem to get it moved - to get to me? It's been a horrible experience and full time for me on the phone in the last 15 hours, except sleeping.

Last edited by kh2866; Jul 14, 2019 at 9:39 am Reason: trying to be nicer, while extremely frustrated
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
If they do reimburse perishables, you can request it by sending the receipt. I would send the original receipt anyway to AA from the original purchase. The biggest lesson here is "was it worth it to try to get perishable goods with you like that?" For me it would be a hard No, and all the frustration you had to go through. I never do it, not even for non-perishable food items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.