Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015. Bags are scanned at several points, and using the app you can generally see where your bags are. Not all airports have this capability.

Originally Posted by LPDAL
Bags at hubs are “mega scanned” or scanned at every point of contact. The first point of scan would most likely be the sorter where the bag is sent to the corresponding belt where the flight is being loaded.

Bags that miss their flights are delivered to the expeditor(s) who handle IROPS bags and send them on their way. Most likely, the bag is sent on the next AA flight. We are able to send bags on various other airlines but sending them on our own metal is always preferable.
Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage <status tier> Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator

Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport

What if I need clothing or toiletries because my baggage is missing?

Link

Reimbursement

We will reimburse you for items you need immediately while away from home without your bags. Within 45 days of your delay, please send us:

Your 13-character file reference number
A copy of your ticket receipt and baggage claim checks
Your original, dated, itemized receipts

Send verification items to:

American Airlines Central Baggage
4000 East Sky Harbor Boulevard
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Fax: 480-693-2305
American Airlines: Delayed Baggage: Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.[/color][color="Navy"]
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status

If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records

If you’re unable to submit online, you can send your claim and verification items by mail or fax.

American Airlines Central Baggage
4000 East Sky Harbor Boulevard
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Fax: 480-693-2305

Link
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries

Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.
If from an international flight, Article 17 of the Montreal Convention applies; see below. The final operating carrier is responsible for locating and returning, or compensating the checking passenger if not delivered within 21 days.

"The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travellers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR (XDR currency code, ~$1,652 May 2017). At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, even if the airline delivers it after that period."
The SDR on 28 Aug 2017 was valued at $1.42, so 1,131 SDR was approximately $1,603.00. Use this link to convert SDR to USD.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Link to PDF about baggage damage and loss by Christopher Cotter, Attorney at Law.

[QUOTE]Q. I flew internationally. What rules governs baggage damage or loss?

Article 17 of the Montreal Convention:

"2. The carrier liable for damage sustained in case of destruction or loss of, or of damage to, checked baggage upon condition only that the event which caused the destruction, loss or damage took place on board the aircraft or during any period within which the checked baggage was in the charge of the carrier. However, the carrier is not liable if and to the extent that the damage resulted from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage. In the case of unchecked baggage, including personal items, the carrier is liable if the damage resulted from its fault or that of its servants or agents.

3. If the carrier admits the loss of the checked baggage, or if the checked baggage has not arrived at the expiration of twenty-one days after the date on which it ought to have arrived, the passenger is entitled to enforce against the carrier the rights which flow from the contract of carriage.

4. Unless otherwise specified, in this Convention the term "baggage" means both checked baggage and unchecked baggage."

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost).
  • Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.

Link to posts prior to 2019

Print Wikipost

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by griffingrowl
Me AA CK.

Wife, infant and I flew JFK to MCO (Orlando) on Monday evening. One of our four checked bags did not make it. Bag contained a mix of both our clothes, baby supplies, and presents.

Trip is a special vacation to Disneyworld meeting my parents, brother and his partner + kids who are all over from the UK. Kind of a big deal - trip has been in the works for nearly two years.

Anyway, bag scan shows that bag was "delivered to baggage claim" but we never saw it.

AA agent looked around and was confused, then concluded that there were a lot of Disney Cruise Line passengers coming in today and it was likely mistakenly picked up by the Disney Cruise Rep. He disappeared for maybe 5 mins then came back and said he had spoken to Disney and good news, they have the bag... and they will return it to MCO tonight and they will deliver to my hotel.

This may gave been a porky pie.

Tomorrow is day 4 and still without the bag. We have had to buy clothes and tiletries that cover swimming, theme parks, and nicer evening dinners. Total is approaching $900.

AA has refused to give me a "spend amount" but just said, buy what you need and keep receipts. Thankfully there was an outlet mall less than 2 miles from our hotel... but this all adds up.

I don't see many examples in this thread of actually reimbursement received from AA. So will be curious to see what happens.

BTW, crazy thing is bag has two tags on the outside (one on each handle) AND my name and contact info on the inside.

Bigger concern is the contents of the luggage. It's a Rimowa medium size... but bag contains nice clothes, several gifts etc.

Some questions for the FT hive:
- when does AA assume lost and start the reimbursement process ?
- what happens if they later find the bag... do you get it back if they have reimbursed?
- what % do they typically depreciate? I was disappointed to read this - they can depreciate but I need to replace !

I will post back the conclusion here when this gets resolved.
I would be so mad if my RIMOWA was lost or damage. I’m still dealing with AA for my delayed baggage from this past weekend hot mess. Seeing your post, I’m gonna find all my receipt that for stuff that I bought since I don’t have my luggage still and see if they will reimbursed me for any of it.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcommercial
My wife is stuck at DFW today (April 13) and the place is a mad house due to the multiple weather cancellations. She was en route to LAS from a smaller airport close to our home. SO she completed one leg of a 2 leg flight. She is in DFW and her DFW-LAS flight was canceled after she checked in. She really needs to get to LAS for a work conference, but AA has automatically rebooked her for a flight in 2 days. That doesn't work for her as she needs to be in LAS tomorrow morning. I bought for her a ticket on SWA from DAL-LAS early tomorrow morning.

How can she get her bag which are already checked? Should she wait in line for hours at the gates to talk to a gate agent? Go back to the ticket agents out front before security? Give up and wait for the bags to arrive to LAS in 2 days?
In the same boat as you except I bought DTW-LAX on SW. Still don’t have my bags, agents have not been helpful, they’re all sounded super agitated on the phone. I was told my bag should be at my original airport and I have to come and pick it up. Not possible since I’m already out of the country.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I had once my bag lost by AA for a while in a convoluted set of flights, but they eventually found and returned it a few weeks later. I had all receipts documented for things I bought in the meantime, and AA paid promptly, within two weeks. I was very impressed how well they handled the reimbursement, approved as submitted, no questions asked. It was about $600-700.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:59 pm

HELP!!!!! Luggage lost by AA at LAX

My husband flew through LAX to HNL Luggage was checked in BOS bag never arrived to HNL. AA said bag at LAX and it would arrive on the next flight which woukdve got in at 11pm Bag never arrived. He was there for an overnight. left the next day for a foreign destination. AA was contacted. They said they were sending an email to LAX. Still no response There is something in that bag, besides clothes, that needs to get back to us Please please please please help
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm gathering there was something in that bag of great importance, unfortunately not sure there's really anything anyone here (or anywhere on the internet) can do to help. Have you called baggage services, also the AA app now shows your bags process - where it was last scanned/offloaded etc.
bosman likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
What was in the bag?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jvr703
My husband flew through LAX to HNL Luggage was checked in BOS bag never arrived to HNL. AA said bag at LAX and it would arrive on the next flight which woukdve got in at 11pm Bag never arrived. He was there for an overnight. left the next day for a foreign destination. AA was contacted. They said they were sending an email to LAX. Still no response There is something in that bag, besides clothes, that needs to get back to us Please please please please help
If AA can't find the bag, I doubt this website is going to help. For the future, if you really value something that much, don't put it into checked baggage
bosman likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Odds are that AA will find the bag. It is possible the bag tag got ripped off or something, resulting in it being left behind.

in the interim, AA should provide a stipend or the ilk to buy some replacements until the bag is found. Trip insurance should also help if you have it.

long term, as others have said, do not pack anything irreplaceable in checked luggage.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jvr703
Did he depart from LAX on the same ticket? Was the LAX-foreign destination flight also operated by AA? Did his bag perhaps get checked thru to the foreign destination?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:55 am

I know this site cant help me locate the bag but I did want to see what others have gone through and if they did get their bag e eventually. Also, maybe AA
did monitor this site......

It was a work related item my husband put in the bag. Me, I would never have checked that. Now he learns the hard way

Yes, we have been trying to track it Yes we immediately reported it. They refused to give vouchers for his full day layover in Honolulu before traveling. I told him to save all receipts.

To this day, Sunday Sunday April 28th, it still says HNL as the destination from LAX checked in.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Wanted to get a couple questions answered if we can.

My daughter and I were traveling home from holiday (AY) BKK - HEL, (AY) HEL - SFO, (AA) SFO - PHL (crazy routing I know, but was a great J deal, and a great way to re-qualify for EXP) yes it was all on one Ticket (Found on Google Flights, and had a TA book it).

We had a super tight connection in HEL, we made the flight, but our bags did not. Though not sure if they were ever even loaded in BKK.
What I think I am reading is that regardless of where they were lost, it's AA's problem to solve (is that correct?).
I filed a claim with AA at the airport in PHL (Home base for me).

If I need to replace anything, am I able to and get reimbursed? Everything I am reading says while at destination, but I am at home.
If the bags are not located, regardless of where they were lost, it's the International limits that apply (so XDR 1131)?
Do the limits of reimbursement include the cost of luggage (Briggs & Riley & Hartman luggage)

2 of the Three bags were under my name (AA EXP if it matters) one of the bags was under my daughters name (AA nothing, but about to be Platinum when this trip posts).
Old May 16, 2019, 12:56 am

Big chunk of cash missing from gate checked carry on (AA)

Hi! I am new here but I just figured it would be worth a shot to ask someone here if they have any advice for me. I had an envelope with a good chunk of money in it (around 1.5k) and because I was not checking any luggage I just kept it in my carry on bag that I had hid it in all weekend. upon entering the gate literally in line to sit down I am told that my bag will need to be checked and they take it from me. I KNOW I was dumb not to stop and move to the side and remove my personal belongings but because It was going right under the plane and I had no choice I didnt even think twice. Long story short, I get to LAX EIGHT HOURS LATE because of a delay and my bag is now lost. I immediately file a delayed luggage claim and everyone at the front desk is confused because it was scanned to have arrived and should have been on the carousel but it wasn't. I get a call the next morning that my bag has been found and it will be delivered to me today. When I go to pick it up, everything is in it except the envelope labeled "savings." I KNOW that during the time my bag was "lost" there had to be some sort of foul play at LAX. I filed a police report but because it is cash I know I may just have to take this as a lesson learned but I feel completely violated. Not only was my flight delayed a whole day, I missed my airbus and was forced to pay $300 for an uber home and on top of that I was forced to check a bag that was then lost and tampered with. at MINIMUM I want them to look into this because I think it is ridiculous to have employees as thieves and not hold them liable or let the behavior perpetuate. Is there ANY difference in liability for gate checked bags? and is there any way I can have them investigate my bag upon arrival at LAX because it seems so weird to me that it was right below me on the plane but sometime between landing and placing It on the carousel it was intentionally taken out of place and tampered with. ANY advice? ANY thing I can do? ANY one I can at least inform that they should look into the employees around this area?? im a college student and this has been the absolute worst flight experience of my life, I am completely traumatized and never want to fly again.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
My flight today AA193 LAX-HKG departed before 1am but oxygen masks deployed during the flight and we came back to LAX around 4am!
Now my connection at HKG to BKK was messed up.
However, I called EXP desk and I was rebooked on CX flights departing around noon today, so I have decided to stay at LAX and go to Qantas F lounge which will open soon.
I think most passengers got a hotel near LAX and wait until new 4pm departure!
Anyway I will arrive at BKK more than 12 hours late.
The EXP desk agent checked compensation and the system showed $250 certificates or 12,000 miles.
We both laughed and I rejected the offer. The agent thought it’s not enough either.
She told me to fill online form and ask compensation when I come back from this trip
In this case what is the appropriate compensation? Any ideas?

Old May 16, 2019, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA expressly excludes "money" from liability and will not cover cash. You may still file a claim with AA, but do not expect anything. It is possible that there were security cameras covering the area between the jet bridge and the aircraft's hold and possible that AA will review those tapes.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...omesticflights

If this was an international flight, you might have an argument under the Montreal Convention. But, even then, carriers are free to require you to declare and pay a premium for certain items such as cash.

Your sole likely hope here is your travel insurance. It may have an exclusion as well. But, you won't know that until you carefully read it. However, as with a claim to AA, even though this is not an accusation regarding the truth of your claim, you do have to realize that there is a high potential for fraud here and therefore claims for cash are met with a lot of skepticism.

Not to berate you, but for the benefit of others, OP accurately summarizes the urge to just keep boarding. Best to step aside, pull out valuables and then turn the bag over for gate check.

Last edited by Often1; May 16, 2019 at 8:20 am
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: Global Entry
My checked baggage got delayed (not loaded at connection for some reason) and is in another city right now (neither departing, connecting, nor arriving airport) with no info on when it will be back. Even wasted more time driving back to my arriving airport with faulty info from AA that my baggage had arrived at the airport only to find out it hadn't. Is it pretty common for a baggage to not make it if the connection time is around an hour or so? Also, what's the usual turnaround time for AA to reload delayed baggage into another flight? I thought it will be a same day thing, but that hasn't been the case thus far.

Update: the baggage was put on a flight in the early morning the next day by AA. Retrieved without a problem. The baggage even had a red and white "expedite" sticker.

Last edited by flyinggum; Jun 4, 2019 at 8:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.