Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: 2016 AA Elite Status Challenge

Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK & FAQ: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)

The 2016 AAdvantage Gold and Elite status challenges are now obsolete.

See HELP DESK & FAQ: 2017 Gold and Platinum status Challenge for the current Challenge thread

[/B]

American Airlines initiated a new AAdvantage Gold and Platinum elite status challenge for 2016, available to anyone, (unless they have attempted or completed a recent challenge, or are trying to use a challenge to regain status). There is no publicly available documentation currently. Please update here as the information becomes available, e.g. signup fees.

Call +1.888.697-5636 for details and to sign up.

NOTE: There are also Corporate and Targeted status challenges offered to some levels of certain companies or targeted subgroups (LinkedIn had one, Founders Card may still offer one); some may offer up to Executive Platinum status. These differ significantly from this challenge offered the general flying public for a fee, and are discussed here.

Frequently Asked Questions and Requirements

Q. What are the requirements for successfully completing a Challenge?
  • Gold status: earn 7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) in 3 months (not 90 days). Signup fee (non-refundable): $120.00 for start date in Jan 2016, $100 in April 2016, $140 on June 16 2016

• Platinum status: earn 12,500 EQM in 3 months; signup fee (non-refundable) $200.00 for start date in Jan 2016, $180 in April 2016, $240 on June 16 2016. As of October 15 2016 it was $200.

Q. When can I sign up for a Challenge? Can I backdate to include flown flights? How far out can I enroll?

Start dates are now anytime, not a particular date, and may be backdated two weeks (although at least one member was denied in a request to backdate). You probably won't be allowed to engage farther than six weeks out.

Q. How long will Challenge-earned elite status last?

Challenges started prior to 16 June 2016 earn status good through 28 Feb 2017; challenges started 16 June or after earn status good through 31 Jan 2018. (It is the start date, not the date of the phone call or the date the challenge is completed, that matters.)

Q. Are there restrictions on earning EQM for the Challenge?

Yes. To qualify, EQM must be earned on flights marketed* by AA's Joint Business Venture partners:
  • AA American Airlines

• AY Finnair

• BA British Airways

• IB Iberia

• JL Japan Airlines

• QF Qantas

* "AA marketed" = AA flight is displayed on your boarding pass

AA marketed fights earn as if flying AA, regardless of operating carrier. AY, BA and IB marketed flights must be operated by a oneworld airline; normally, JL and QF are the exceptions to this requirement.

Q. How many EQM do I earn per flown mile?

On AA marketed flights (AA flight on your boarding pass - regardless of operating carrier) you may earn, on qualifying paid fares:
  • 3 EQM per base mile flown on full F, J fares
  • 2 EQM per base mile flown in discounted Business and First fares
  • 1 EQM minimum per base mile in all other qualifying fares
On qualifying partners' marketed flights (you're on a AY, BA, IB, JL or QF flight number only, for Challenge purposes) you earn, on qualifying paid flights:
  • 1.5 EQM maximum on all eligible First, Business and Premium Economy fares
  • 1.0 EQM on the most expensive economy fares (full Y and maybe one or two other fares, depending on marketing airline)
  • 0.5 or 0.25 EQM on most paid discount economy fares
  • 0 EQM on some paid economy fares, dependent on marketing airline and fare class
For tables on aa.com showing EQM earning on partner airlines' specific fares, see here.

Q. Will my credit card that pays to $200 incidental fees cover paying for the challenge?

Reports from members indicate your credit card might indeed credit you up to $200 for your challenge fee.

Q. Where can I learn more about earning EQM on AA and partner airlines?

Read Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2016 (particularly the wikipost at the top of the page) for further information about earning EQM on AA and its partners.

Q. Do status or class of service bonus miles in Business and First count toward my Challenge or "normal" status?

No. Class of service, status (and all "bonus") miles are Award (Redeemable) miles, not Elite Qualifying.

Q. I know for "normal" status one must fly four segments at least marketed by AA, or AAdvantage elite status will not be granted. Is this true for completing a Challenge?

No. You may earn Gold or Platinum status flying qualifying AY, BA, IB, JL or QF marketed flights for Challenge-earned AAdvantage status. (The four AA marketed flights requirement for normal status earning will no longer be in place in 2017.)

Q. How can I calculate miles flown for EQM calculations on partner airlines?

Distance calculations may be made reasonably with Great Circle Mapper (link).

Q. Can I qualify by any other measure, such as EQD spend or Elite Qualifying Segments?

No. Only by EQM as defined previously.

Q. I've noticed some have been granted Gold upon enrollment. Can I?

Those with status on competing airlines may be granted interim AAdvantage Gold status while flying a Platinum challenge. A few others may get lucky, but don't expect being granted interim status easily.

Q. Do I automatically gain Gold status when I earn 7,000 EQM on my Platinum Challenge?

No, you will not. There may be reports of one or two members requesting Gold once they've earned 7,000 EQM and being granted Gold status, but this does not seem to be a norm.

Q. If I earn Platinum through a Challenge, can I earn Platinum Pro with 25,000 EQM or Executive Platinum (EP) with 50,000 more EQM?

No. You must earn the full number of required EQM, EQS (and EQD in or after 2017) to earn higher status, regardless of Challenge status.

Q. Do I earn bonus miles, etc. on the flight I cross my Challenge threshold?

No. Status is awarded after the flight upon which the required threshold was crossed (some years ago, it was during and miles earning benefits applied to the earning flight - that has changed).

Q. Will my new status update automatically on my account and previously booked flights? Will my new status benefits be available automatically? How long does it take?

Once your miles post in your account, your status will normally update. But you might have to call AAdvantage Customer Service to have Your existing PNRs updated. The AA agent will remove, re-enter your AAdvantage number, which will cause the record to update.

Q. How often can I sign up for a Challenge?

First, one can not extend or retain status made through a Challenge with a subsequent Challenge. As well, knowledgeable members have posted AA generally allows two "status exceptions" in a five year period, and the Challenge is considered as a status exception. Buying status back would be considered a status exception as well.

NOTE: AA has announced changes to Award (redeemable) Mile earning effective 1 Aug 2016. This has no effect on elite qualifying miles and therefore no effect on completing the challenge. See Earning AA Award ("Redeemable") Miles / RDM earning in later 2016 on American Airlines and its partner airlines]

Elite Status Challenge and Flyertalk History

The now defunct original AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge is archived; thread can be read here.

The original EQ Points based challenge lasted a number of years. It was AFAIK first documented systematically by FT member FewMiles, who had it on his web pages with other status-earning information.

First FT thread about the challenge was started 17 Dec 1998: The Elite Challenge

On a fateful day, 26 Jun 2000, FewMiles asked about taking the challenge in this post; fish on!

On 27 Oct 2000, FewMiles starts a new thread announcing a web page for his Unofficial guide to AAdvantage - elite status, Gold/Plat challenge ....

It appears this 18 year old program has been selected by the new management to continue going forward so AA can offer a shortcut to status that they possibly feel is more rewarding (to AA) and effective than merely handing out status matches to anyone with status in another airline / alliance.

Updated 31 July by JDiver

Note: there is a "reingagement challenge" to get back miles lost for inactivity within the last five years, which can be read about here: How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: 2016 AA Elite Status Challenge

Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
Well three years ago when I did the EXP challenge as a 1K I had EXP during the challenge period. Definitely did.
Your statement:
...a first. They've always granted the status you were shooting for during the trial period.
is 100% completely incorrect.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by MilesMath
How do the EQM multipliers work for a discounted business class on an AA-operated flight booked under a BA codeshare number? Would I get the 2xEQM or is it just 1.5x because I booked a flight with a BA number?
From the wiki at the top of the thread:

To qualify, EQM must be earned on flights marketed by:
AA American Airlines
AY Finnair
BA British Airways
IB Iberia
JL Japan Airlines
QF Qantas

Remember:

On AA you may earn, on qualifying paid flights:
3 EQM per base mile flown on full F, J fares
2 EQM per base mile flown in discounted Business and First fares
1 EQM minimum per base mile in all other qualifying fares

On qualifying partners, you earn, on qualifying paid flights:
1.5 EQM maximum on First, Business and Premium Economy fares
From 1.0 to fractional EQM to 0 EQM, dependent on base miles credited and fare class
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
How do the EQM multipliers work for a discounted business class on an AA-operated flight booked under a BA codeshare number? Would I get the 2xEQM or is it just 1.5x because I booked a flight with a BA number?
Multiplier is based on the marketing carrier, in this case BA. So 1.5x multiplier.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, and United
How do they verify the Delta miles? Do you have to send them a statement from Delta to do the challenge?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Does gold even allow E+? At time of booking? Going from 1K to gold will be a painful although short issue.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:38 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by WriterGirlLinds
How do they verify the Delta miles? Do you have to send them a statement from Delta to do the challenge?
They did not ask me to provide proof.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Can I sign up for the Platinum challenge if I'm currently an EXP until Feb 2017 to requal for the 2017-2018 year? (If I plan on doing enough flying to only pass Gold)
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Can I sign up for the Platinum challenge if I'm currently an EXP until Feb 2017 to requal for the 2017-2018 year? (If I plan on doing enough flying to only pass Gold)
Don't think they'd be a bit daft to allow that kind of thing?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Sounds familiar

All the reports so far describe a challenge program that is exactly the same in all details as the one it replaces with EQPs replaced by new EQMs and a corresponding adjustment in levels. To rounding to roundish numbers, the qualification requirement is the same for discount business on AA: 6667 BIS miles before and 6250 BIS miles now for Platinum.

Fees, validity period, granting of Gold during the challenge for most customers who mention elite status on a competitor (with no request for proof), and eligible partners are all the same. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that all other details are the same, though I'd obviously ask AA in advance if that assumption mattered for a challenge I were completing.

This suggests what was pretty evident to me from the beginning: the suspension of the challenge program last September was just to accommodate the (then-unannounced) change from EQPs to revised EQMs.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:43 pm

does AA limit the number of challenge per person in 5 years?

I mean, if I reach plat by completing 12500 EQM jan 2016 for plat status until feb 2017, can I do this again in 2018 (or after jun 2017)???
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Does gold even allow E+? At time of booking? Going from 1K to gold will be a painful although short issue.
AA Gold offers MCE (AA's E+) 24 hours prior to departure (if available) only. I think Gold member are offered a discounted price to buy MCE at/after booking.

Platinum offers MCE at booking.

Not that in addition the 'official' extra legroom seats AA specifically installed as MCE, bulkheads/exit rows have now been coded as MCE as well.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You will earn in accordance with the marketing airline. 1.5 EQM because you booked a flight with a BA number.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 4, 2016 at 9:30 pm Reason: Correct - oops! Thanks, JonNYV!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
does AA limit the number of challenge per person in 5 years?

I mean, if I reach plat by completing 12500 EQM jan 2016 for plat status until feb 2017, can I do this again in 2018 (or after jun 2017)???
The last time they offered challenges, iirc it was five years between challenges. Definitely not.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ty97
Quote:

AA Gold offers MCE (AA's E+) 24 hours prior to departure (if available) only. I think Gold member are offered a discounted price to buy MCE at/after booking.

Platinum offers MCE at booking.

Not that in addition the 'official' extra legroom seats AA specifically installed as MCE, bulkheads/exit rows have now been coded as MCE as well.
Ugh that sucks! Thanks for the info. When I call them tomorrow I'll see if they can give me plat status during the challenge. Worth a try.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
The last time they offered challenges, iirc it was five years between challenges. Definitely not.
I would say it was/is more like x # of "status exceptions" (to include challenges and buy-backs) in 5 years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.