Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
8/9 AA 1618 MIA - ATL full PDB, not by tray but you could asked for all it seems, nice flight but apparently this one still falls under the "snack basket only" distance
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ckendall
8/9 DCA-PVD Not only no PDB offered, but when a glass of water was requested it was denied (not enough time) just after the pilot had announced that there would be a lengthy delay (which turned out to be an hour). When the FA realized that there would be a delay out came cups of water.

8/11 PVD-DCA Full PDB was offered without any prompting. My appreciation for the crew was somewhat offset by a lengthy read of the Aviator card story (by the other FA), including all the details about the special 60K offer and how the miles would arrive in your account. On the flight up (with Mr. No PDB for you) we were spared the lengthy version of the ad.
Were both flights operated by PSA Airlines?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-DTW
E175 (Republic)

Full PDB offered very quickly. Nice change from my last 3 Delta mainline flights with no PDB whatsoever.

DTW-LGA
E175 (Republic)

Delayed about an hour and still full PDB offered very quickly. AA/DL could learn a few things from their connection carrier FA’s!

Last edited by AANYC1981; Aug 14, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by jcatman
Were both flights operated by PSA Airlines?
Yes
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
First two AA flights in more than a year.

AA260 MCO-MIA: PDB of Water or OJ from a tray after boarding had completed. IMO, this doesn't count as a PDB. Short flight and 'meh' service once in the air. One cabin crew was wearing a US Airways shirt which I found a bit odd and probably not in line with current policy.
AA: Leaving off the flight number so as to not get anyone in trouble. This was a flight departing MIA on an aircraft which boarded through 2L. No PDB. Left the gate then delayed for 30 minutes or so due to a thunderstorm. At this point an open bar beverage service was offered. Crew even let me keep mine for the takeoff. This one is pretty conflicting to me because the crew could have easily offered a beverage if they had wanted to but chose not to until sitting around on the ground for another 30 minutes. Still not really a PDB IMO because without the delay no one would have gotten anything.

Overall, just confusing and inconsistent. Which I suppose is in line with expectations on AA.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
This week:
LAX-SJC no PDB. Unusual for this route, but service otherwise was ok
SJC-LAX PDB, great service
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: DL, HH, Bonvoy
Yesterday STS > LAX, not only did they offer full PDF to F, they offered it to the full plane! We were a little late leaving and STS is an ...interesting airport... but I thought it was really cool that they were offering PDB to the whole plane.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
Yesterday STS > LAX, not only did they offer full PDF to F, they offered it to the full plane! We were a little late leaving and STS is an ...interesting airport... but I thought it was really cool that they were offering PDB to the whole plane.
"Full" PDB, including alcohol, for the entire plane? I presume it wasn't a very large aircraft, but that is surprising.

Leaving STS I'd probably get a rock. (Whoever gets that reference...)
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum
ORD-RDU, Full PDB. Great service from the FA. She made multiple checks on us and frequently refilled glasses.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
DCA-BNA 8/16 BNA-DCA 8/18 Full PDB in both directions, frequent refills and a good time was had by all.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:05 pm

8/18 AA1199 - MIA-JFK

PDB tray of OJ and Water. Asked for a Sam... got a cup of Sam.

The pilot told us AA needed the gate so we would taxi to a spot and sit for 40 minutes. We did... nothing.
The pilot told us later it would be another 30 minutes... nothing.

The in-flight crew was lazy, ornery and just incompetent. (forgot preorders, no asking for refills.) Really a crew that was highly overpaid!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
YYZ-DFW OLD Boeing 737-800 - PDB of choice (minus any alcoholic drinks). Disappointed, though I understand local liquor laws if they indeed apply here, I begrudgingly hydrated myself with water.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
8/15 AA747 PHX-MCI Airbus319 - Full PDB of choice and excellent service in-flight

8/18 AA444 MCI-PHX Airbus319 - Full PDB of choice and excellent service in-flight
zpaul and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
8/26 AA 508 RDU-CLT A-320: Full PDB
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
DFW-CUN - 8/21 - BSI Boeing 737-800 - PDB of choice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.