Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 5:19 pm

Yesterday:
MCO to CLT 3:34 p.m. A321 - Full PDB. Denise (FA) was very good, even took jackets/coats.
CLT to ALB 8:01 p.m. A319 - Water only.

FA didn't have a name tag on. Was late to the plane (but I understand these things happen), but stood and chatted with the gate agent for several minutes. By the time we boarded in Group1, he has the water glasses pre-filled, and offered only that. Several folks inquired about other drinks and were told "When we're in the air". No catering delays and flight wasn't delayed leaving either. Took like 20-30 minutes to board.Once in the air, he did take drink orders, but seemed to have a chip on his shoulder. I asked for Vodka and OJ. "Oh you mean a screwdriver". (Yeah I knew that, but most FA have no idea when I mention the drink name).
Old May 16, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by luv2vacay

FA didn't have a name tag on. Was late to the plane (but I understand these things happen), but stood and chatted with the gate agent for several minutes. By the time we boarded in Group1, he has the water glasses pre-filled, and offered only that. Several folks inquired about other drinks and were told "When we're in the air". No catering delays and flight wasn't delayed leaving either. Took like 20-30 minutes to board.Once in the air, he did take drink orders, but seemed to have a chip on his shoulder. I asked for Vodka and OJ. "Oh you mean a screwdriver". (Yeah I knew that, but most FA have no idea when I mention the drink name).
Parts of that sound similar to my experience out of CLT a couple of weeks ago. One of the few times I actually considered complaining.

The guy moaned constantly from me being in ear shot until the plane door closed, about everything he could think of. To the point where it seemed to make one of his colleagues, who was with him while they were finishing paperwork off, uncomfortable. She kept trying to say positive things / change the subject. We were late, which seemed to be his main point of contention, that he was going to not have a good overnight / weekend / whatever.

Offered water to those it suited (seemed to be those who didn’t have a coffee / soda they brought on). Then we got in the air and it was Jekyl and Hyde. He was courteous, polite, friendly, my glass was never empty.

Then when we touched down, he was back to his on ground attitude.

Such a bizarre experience.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
5/16 662 DFW-DEN: Nothing. No jackets taken up. DFW crew.
5/17 2869 DEN-ORD: Nothing. Jackets were collected. WX delay after boarding. NYC cabin, MIA flight deck. Edit: Water tray came around after posting.

Last edited by GrumpyYoungMan; May 17, 2019 at 2:21 pm Reason: Update
Old May 19, 2019, 11:47 am

No PDB on 1599 SNA-DFW on 5/17. Constant stream of pax from coach into the F lav, even a line building up.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-DFW full PDB at 6am (lots of mimosas, bloody marys and screwdrivers ordered)
DFW-HNL standard HFS (is that term still used?) of bubbles, OJ, water
brc757rr likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
5/18 1430 DFW-SFO: Nothing at all. Barely got a welcome onboard greeting. (Cluster mess with weather disruption last night across midwest.)
Old May 19, 2019, 3:58 pm

5/18 AA1297 - LAX-MIA bubbles, water, oj on a 77W - Didn't ask for anything else, but someone else did. rejected.

Refills during meal service, then nothing.
No proactive service for rest of the flight.
Had call light on for about 45 minutes to ask for tea. (I think if I got up and asked it would have been fulfilled, but was more interested in seeing how long. Includes turning it off and on a few times. )

Mildly friendly service, but really, just poor service overall for what is supposed to be a premium route.
brc757rr likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
5/14-18, flew 3 segments, PHL-LAX, LAX-LAS, LAS-PHL, PDB in all including the LAS-PHL redeye.

They always do a post-takeoff service on the redeye, although a lot of people (myself included) are often asleep by then. A second service is never offered for obvious reasons, but I can always get something if I ask.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
DCA-LGA and LGA-DCA flights last weekend, full PDB on both, with one PHL crew and one DCA. Really good service on a short flight.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
5/20 796 ORD-CLT: Full PDB, outstanding, friendly crew despite disruptive passengers in F
5/20 2777 CLT-SDF: Full PDB, again an outstanding crew. Managed to enjoy themselves up front while still giving great service.
jcatman likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
5/20 AA 5928 LGB-PHX FA had a bottle of water and stack of cups offering water. I asked for OJ and was denied (...once we get in the air...). OJ on a 6:45 am flight...I guess I was out of line.
5/20 AA 5797 PHX-ABQ full PDB.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
5/20 AA 5928 LGB-PHX FA had a bottle of water and stack of cups offering water. I asked for OJ and was denied (...once we get in the air...). OJ on a 6:45 am flight...I guess I was out of line.
5/20 AA 5797 PHX-ABQ full PDB.
I guess some of the Mesa Airlines flight attendants are unhappy now as well?
cynicAAl and AANYC1981 like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jcatman
I guess some of the Mesa Airlines flight attendants are unhappy now as well?
Isn’t Mesa on thin ice as it is with AA? They should be happy to still have a job with their substandard plastic cup beverage service in FC.
TWAL10114Ever and brc757rr like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:06 pm

5/16 AA1763 LAX-LAS: Full PDB
5/19 AA1555 LAS-LAX: Full PDB
Old May 21, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Isn’t Mesa on thin ice as it is with AA? They should be happy to still have a job with their substandard plastic cup beverage service in FC.
No kidding! Not to mention when you do get a PDB, they can't even leave the gate without picking up the glasses. Last flight I literally got two sips down and she was coming by to pick them up. Don't have that same problem on any other regional or mainline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.