Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
GJT-DFW Enovy E175 - PDB of choice!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
4/22 AA 301 DEN-ORD Full PDB
4/23 AA 1387 ORD-DEN Full PDB
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
ORD-LGA and nadda, zilch.....post take off drink and meal orders taken during boarding. All seen from MCE.

Empty middle seat next to me in MCE so am feeling pretty happy....all others appear to be taken as far as I can see.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Exp, MR Gold, Hyatt Exp
4/25 PHX-ONT on 551. Nothing. Barely a hello yet alone an offer of a PDB.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:45 pm

5/5 aa2351 dfw/dca

Absolutely nothing. Clearly legacy AA. There for your safety.. and to hawk credit cards.

Lots of gossip up front, however. Going for great!

Last edited by bostonkarl; May 5, 2019 at 2:53 pm
Old May 5, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
DFW-GJT Envoy E175 - PDB of choice.
GJT-DFW Envoy E175 - PDB of choice from this stellar crew. Trainee serving F was awesome, as was her trainer. There is hope!

Last edited by UAPremierGuy; May 6, 2019 at 7:01 am
Old May 8, 2019, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-DCA Shuttle, E175 Republic and PDB of choice
Old May 10, 2019, 3:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
5/7 AA 1794 RDU-CLT A-320: Full PDB despite a late boarding
5/7 AA 763 CLT-ATL A-319: Full PDB despite a delay

Good on LUS
Old May 10, 2019, 5:40 pm

DFW-JFK - LAA B757 - PDB of choice done at the very last minute and only row 1 got served PDB's. To be fair, catering arrived half-way through boarding.
LHR-ORD - B789 - PDB of water/OJ/champagne/mimosa.
ORD-DFW - B789- PDB of choice from the great flight attendant. She was telling the guy seated across the aisle how good the Syrah was and bragged that a previous passenger Googled the bottle and said it was a $50 bottle.
DFW-GJT - Envoy E175 - PDB of choice from the friendly FA who said she loved her job.

Overall, I hit the AA jackpot on this trip.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: Delta. AA, National EE, HH
Old May 12, 2019, 1:35 pm

5/11 -
AA 1228 - MIA-LAS - Bubbles/Water/Juice. The crew was mostly professional, cold, non-engaging. The FA asked about my meal pre-order, I confirmed it. He turned and walked away. Not a word. Breaksfast was served with hardly a word. Plates were cleared with no words. The fruit and cheese plate was served immediately after breakfast. Not a single offer of a drink on this 5+ hour flight. While I am sure I could have asked for a drink, they made it clear... don't bother us.

AA1555 - LAX-LAS - Full PDB with a smile. AWESOME FA on this 1-hour flight. Glass was never empty. Outstanding. ^^^^
(Clearly went to the James school of customer service.^^^)
Old May 13, 2019, 9:39 am
Suspended

DCA-LGA
E175 Republic

No attempt at PDB......I politely asked "you guys don't offer anything on the ground anymore?"

PDB granted.....you're welcome FC cabin that also ordered wine, mixed drinks etc once this FA was checked.
jcatman and wrp96 like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:42 am
Suspended

EWR-ORD
738 (Reno Air livery!) with BSI and drop down TV's.
Full PDB offered (as seen from MCE) from this NYC based crew, despite being almost an hour behind schedule.

Drinks were flowing in MCE the whole flight.....saw some people do 4 mini's with mixer.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
PHL-SFO
A321; new seats in F, no power outlets or IFE. Streamed movie to my laptop, but movie froze after 10-15 min and I'd have to re-connect, watch stupid commercials again, then fast-forward to where it quit. After it happened the second time I gave up.

Full PDB offered; prompt and attentive service. Good crew ^
Old May 16, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Yesterday:
GRR-ORD 6am CJ7 - PDB
ORD-DEN 7am 738 - PDB (surprized)
DEN-DFW 10:45am 321(?)- PDB (surprized) - also cheese plate or roast beef pinwheels offered...didn't realize we were getting a snack....cheese was pretty darn good
DFW-GRR 4pm 175 - PDB

[Edit: Full PDB on all]
[2nd Edit: I gave out on each flight one of those good job coupons when they delivered my PDB to help reinforce that PDB is a good practice]
Global321 and AANYC1981 like this.

Last edited by Bradhattan; May 17, 2019 at 4:02 pm Reason: Add FULL PDB to all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.