Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold.
10/7 AA 18 SFO-JFK A-321T: Business: Tray of water, OJ, sparkling wine. Did not ask if there other options.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
10/9. SFO-DFW. AA 1198. Water only. Recognized the FA on a recent SFO-PHL trip a couple weeks ago.

Same routine: comes through cabin shaking stacked plastic cup at passengers anf waving water bottle too. “Water for you guys?” No one accepted his offer and we all looked at each other afterwards.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
9/29 AA 409 CLT-PHL A-321: Full PDB
10/2 AA 2348 CLT-BOS 737-800: Full PDB. This was surprising as we were an hour late and a full flight, good job F/As who actually try.
The FA's that are really trying on my routes seem to be diminishing.
Last 4 flights:
BOS-LAX nothing
LAX-BOS nothing
LAX-BOS water with 2 minutes to take off - no takers
BOS-LAX nothing
On the last BOS-LAX. The FA in general was awful. I received a survey. Filled it out with all of the details. I'm sure AA doesn't care about my feedback,
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
AA 2384
ORD -> BOS
A321 (avec Sharklets)

PDB of H20 or OJ immediately before doors closed.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:02 am

(Note: observed from the bulkhead row in coach)

10/8
AA1360 MIA-BOS - Full PDB. We were delayed and sat on the plane for about two hours. FA in first did multiple rounds of drinks on the ground and looked to be great service in the air. (Made me jealous as I was #1 on the upgrade list, but did not get cleared.) Flight oversold.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
AA 5880 HOU-DFW Full PDB Excellent service with a smile and even got a 2nd round on the short trip.
AA 1430 DFW-SFO Nada: Flight delayed by approx. 4 hrs too.. Once airborne, there were multiple rounds of drinks offered
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ORD 738 and water/OJ only

ORD-YVR 738 and water/OJ only.....me: is a bloody mary possible? FA: the Bloody Mary mix? Me: no a real Bloody Mary. FA: with the alcohol? Me: yes

I’m also on an Oasis 738 plane and FC is noticeably tighter compared to my inbound from LGA

Last edited by AANYC1981; Oct 15, 2018 at 8:54 am
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
10/14 AA 5217 OKC-CLT: Full PDB ^
10/14 AA 1815 CLT-DCA: Full PDB ^

I didn’t indulge on either flight, but kudos to the Piedmont FA who was making drinks before 7am for those so inclined.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
LIH-PHX - LUS B757 - PDB of choice!
PHX-DEN - LUS A319 - PDB of choice!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Anyone know if the PDB Champagne on international flights is the same as the one on the menu?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by DreamTrip
Anyone know if the PDB Champagne on international flights is the same as the one on the menu?
Normally the PDB bubbly is a cheaper champagne in F and sparking wine in J. The good stuff gets opened in the air.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
10/6 AA2018 BOS-PHL
Full PDB

As an aside, I saw the steward was really hustling. A good number of drinkers in F on an E-190. So I gave him an Outstanding Service cert and since I had been out of the country I asked him about how the integration of the LUS and LAA Flight attendants had gone on 10/1. He told me that it was rather smooth. I said "Remember, don't stop being LUS" and he replied "And we won't stop giving pre-departure beverages".
So I'm guessing that even the FA's know what's going on.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Oops. Search led me to the wrong forum.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
10/13 AA 1515 CLT-EWR 737-800: Full PDB. Second LAA surprise in a row for me...that counts as a good streak these days.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Amb
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
Normally the PDB bubbly is a cheaper champagne in F and sparking wine in J. The good stuff gets opened in the air.
Recent LHR-LAX in F, the flight attendant said that exact quote. "We'll open the good stuff in the air."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.