Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: aa plat
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Well this is pretty odd. Flying out of COU in first, as I’ve done dozens of times. FA takes drink orders, then comes back and says “really sorry, just remembered I can’t serve alcohol on the ground in Missouri.” I pointed out I’ve been served booze before departure at COU, STL, MCI and SGF many times. She said she would check, then came back and showed me the rulebook that does in fact have a list of states not to serve on the ground, which included MO.

Generally speaking we have some of the laxest liquor laws in the nation (something about Annheiser-Busch based in STL seems to have an effect here) so this seems pretty weird.
an aa stler here. my experience has been that PDBs have been more reliable leaving stl over the past several years. i have only refused an alcoholic PDB twice for the above mentioned reasons. one of those time it was from a new hire and i was later accommodated by an ex-TWA f/a. i think this involves aa's unwillingness to pay taxes on the ground here, but i could be wrong. sluggoaafa, an aa f/a and former frequent poster here provided some insight. here's a link to the thread: No more alcoholic pre-departure drinks in Missouri?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Well this is pretty odd. Flying out of COU in first, as I’ve done dozens of times. FA takes drink orders, then comes back and says “really sorry, just remembered I can’t serve alcohol on the ground in Missouri.” I pointed out I’ve been served booze before departure at COU, STL, MCI and SGF many times. She said she would check, then came back and showed me the rulebook that does in fact have a list of states not to serve on the ground, which included MO.

Generally speaking we have some of the laxest liquor laws in the nation (something about Annheiser-Busch based in STL seems to have an effect here) so this seems pretty weird.

Beats me. I've never been denied out of COU, and I'm in/out of here a lot.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:35 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Back when I was in college in COU a hundred or so years ago (M-I-Z! . . . ) I recall hearing a story that the Kansas Bureau of Investigation put agents on flights out of MCI heading west and tried to prohibit alcohol sales because the plane wasn't a private club. Not sure if the story was apocryphal or maybe just made up to make Jayhawkers look stupid.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
4/13 AA 2150 DCA-BOS EMB-190: Full PDB
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ORD and water/OJ only....flight was delayed an hour and so was catering as a result.

The non-lead FA asked the lead FA - “should I close or do pre departures?” Lead FA said “close”
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
AA1397 MIA-MEX 15APR18 Full PDB.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:46 pm

Wow!! Very interesting reading. The company knows you guys want your PDB and have told us how important they are for customer service. Even as an employee when I non-rev and by some chance get a FC seat, I notice if I'm offered a PDB or not.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by tahitigirl
Wow!! Very interesting reading. The company knows you guys want your PDB and have told us how important they are for customer service.
Do you mind sharing how AA has communicated this?

Originally Posted by tahitigirl
Even as an employee when I non-rev and by some chance get a FC seat, I notice if I'm offered a PDB or not.
So you're saying we're not crazy?
miami888 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Do you mind sharing how AA has communicated this?

So you're saying we're not crazy?
During recurrent training (which is of course mainly about drills) they do try to spend some time on customer service. Two years ago before Hector stepped down he did a video that we all watched expressing to us what our premium passengers want. The use of a name, pre-departure drinks, ect where on the top of that list. And of course right now our front line employees are all going through a training course named "Elevate". I haven't gone yet, but my understanding it's to teach us how to "elevate" our passenger's experience.

I don't work FC unless I'm junior manned into that position. In those very rare instances my pax get their PDB.
jp_fin, TSparky, brc757rr and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:18 am

Whether you are aware or not, just know that your insight and willingness to share is VERY much appreciated!
jcatman and CHOPCHOP767 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Seconded! Thank you, tahitigirl! ^
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
ORD-LGA
LAA, 738 last night and full PDB as seen from the first row of MCE
FC crew seemed awesome and very on top of it. Main cabin crew were nice too
oh and MCE had the luggage stickers up
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
4/19 DFW-CLT AA1746: No PDB, also, several of us had our coats/jackets on our laps and there was no offer to hang jackets. The FC attendant was training a new FA. All I could think was, geez, this is not good training.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, OneWorld Emerald
AA 207 MXP-MiA April 20..... 772..... water, OJ, champagne.....late and chaotic boarding.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:45 pm

flight out of DFW on AA equipment & AA staff on 737 with IFE screens
FA went thru with PDB's of water, juice, and water with fruit in it that made the water reddish/pinkish color. Hadn't see the fruited water trick before on PDBs.
I just looked at him when offered the waters and said "may I have something else besides water?" and he said "sure, I'll be right back". Finished offering the waters on the tray and came back and asked what I wanted, and fixed it right up for me before we left.

he gave out his biz cards to everyone at the end of the flight during final walk through safety check before landing Had his name & full contact info (no AA logo) and it said Purser. hadn't seen that before either

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.