Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I’m baffled by this thread and why it’s acceptable to not have a PDB if it standard policy for the AA FA to provide it?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
4/11
DEN-DFW - LAA Boeing 737-800 w/ PTV's - PDB of choice from the very friendly FA! ^
DFW-CLT - LAA OLD Boeing 737-800 - PDB of choice^
CLT-ATL - LUS A319 - PDB of choice ^
ATL-MIA - OLD LAA Boeing 737-800 subbed for originally scheduled A319, which meant I got a battlefield upgrade!!! PDB of OJ, Apple Juice, or water offered from the tray.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I’m baffled by this thread and why it’s acceptable to not have a PDB if it standard policy for the AA FA to provide it?
1) FT posts do not influence AA management. I even doubt they read any of it.
2) AA management has no means to monitor what an FA does on board.
3) FA unions don't get dinged if the FA does not perform.
4) AA flyers don't have anywhere to complain that will get to AA management.

Posting here is just blowing off steam as AA does not appear to be present. Early on it was suggested to do specifically formatted Tweets so simple searches can result in some decent metrics but that didn't happen. Until someone can prove it didn't happen on over 86% of the flights numbering over a thousand (big hard numbers), I wouldn't expect anything to happen any time soon, unless they decide to do away with advertising the benefit (since it's rarely delivered now).
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by RogerD408
1) FT posts do not influence AA management. I even doubt they read any of it.
2) AA management has no means to monitor what an FA does on board.
3) FA unions don't get dinged if the FA does not perform.
4) AA flyers don't have anywhere to complain that will get to AA management.

Posting here is just blowing off steam as AA does not appear to be present. Early on it was suggested to do specifically formatted Tweets so simple searches can result in some decent metrics but that didn't happen. Until someone can prove it didn't happen on over 86% of the flights numbering over a thousand (big hard numbers), I wouldn't expect anything to happen any time soon, unless they decide to do away with advertising the benefit (since it's rarely delivered now).
It's been awhile, but I seem to recall the post flight survey asking about PDBs. If it didn't I surely wrote about it. Then again, the fact that I've not received a post flight survey in March, despite about 20 flights, perhaps tells me all I need to know...
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Now that I've relocated to an outstation primarily serviced by Envoy and ExpressJet, my PDB percentage is just about at 100%. At least there's that benefit.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
It's been awhile, but I seem to recall the post flight survey asking about PDBs. If it didn't I surely wrote about it. Then again, the fact that I've not received a post flight survey in March, despite about 20 flights, perhaps tells me all I need to know...
I never could determine AA's reasoning in sending out post-flight surverys. I seem to get a survey from BA after every single trip I fly. However, AA rarely sends me one, even after a paid F/J flight. I think I got 1 survey in total for 2017, which was my busiest year with AA yet.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:02 pm

No PDB

No offer of any kind on AA 1426 PIT to DFW today-they we’re too busy complaining to each other about customers...

This service is becoming a thing of the past on AA...
letsgook likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
MIA-DEN - LAA A321 (Sharklets) - PDB of choice offered only after 30 minute maintenance delay was announced.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Now that I've relocated to an outstation primarily serviced by Envoy and ExpressJet, my PDB percentage is just about at 100%. At least there's that benefit.

I never could determine AA's reasoning in sending out post-flight surverys. I seem to get a survey from BA after every single trip I fly. However, AA rarely sends me one, even after a paid F/J flight. I think I got 1 survey in total for 2017, which was my busiest year with AA yet.
I don't believe that management has ANY interest in knowing whether or not you received the PDB. Why should they? It's not like anyone will get disciplined for not following established procedures. Moreover, AA management is doling out pay raises without any connection to performance.

Take the time to send a comment/compliment/complaint via the AA website after your flight and succinctly describe your experience. Then, report back to this Thread as to what kind of response you get. THEN we can see and evaluate the quality of AA's responses.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
4/9 PHL-PHX: Full PDB
4/10 PHX-DFW: Full PDB
4/11 DFW to PHL: Full PDB with refills offered

Since the merger, on a whole, the LUS crews are heads and shoulders above their LAA counterparts.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by McSam18
4/9 PHL-PHX: Full PDB
4/10 PHX-DFW: Full PDB
4/11 DFW to PHL: Full PDB with refills offered

Since the merger, on a whole, the LUS crews are heads and shoulders above their LAA counterparts.
Fly LUS routes for the service.

Fly LAA routes for the equipment.

Exceptions possible.
TSparky and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jcatman
Fly LUS routes for the service.

Fly LAA routes for the equipment.

Exceptions possible.
Agree fully on the LAA routes for equipment, I purposefully avoid LUS routes on their crap 321 aircraft. But, and fully ack I may have had a run of good luck of late, this calendar year all of my LAA flights have had full PDBs and decent/good service (knocks wood/throws rice/pics up penny). I will take the chance on missing out on a pre-flight cocktail, which again IME happens less frequently now than a year ago, to ensure I get power on my flight and dont have the crap F seats on the LUS planes.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by brewdog11
All but two of my AA flights in March were paid F. Like BA in your experience, UA routinely sends out a post flight survey after every flight. Then again, I can't recall the last UA flight I didn't receive a PDB on. Maybe there's a correlation there?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:04 pm

All but two of my AA flights in March were paid F. Like BA in your experience, UA routinely sends out a post flight survey after every flight. Then again, I can't recall the last UA flight I didn't receive a PDB on. Maybe there's a correlation there?
I have flown UA about six itineraries per year, for the past 5 years, all itineraries being multi-segment. Some itineraries being 6 or 7-segment mileage runs.

My PDB record with United Airlines is 100%. My PDB record with AA is significantly less than that.

Last edited by jcatman; Apr 14, 2018 at 5:41 am
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
The funny thing is for a long time ( 2002-2012ish IIRC) UA had a serious PDB problem, the vast majority of flights had the "OJ and Water tray" and requests for anything else were met with "we'll get you that after takeoff" - I did 1MM BIS between that period of time so I know it well and I'm sure there's some archived FT threads on the subject. To your point on recent activity, after not stepping foot on a UA plane for nearly 3 years I ended up taking a handful of flights last year and 3 this year (nonstop and reasonable F fares trumped miles/eqm on connecting AA flights plus one IRROPS at ORD where AA rebooked me on UA) and 100% of those flights had PDB of choice, same with all (~15) my DL flights in the past 12 months. While I don't get as frequent surveys on AA as I do on DL (100%) or UA (I'd rekon about 75%) I do think every AA survey has asked about PDBs.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Boozeless in MO?

Well this is pretty odd. Flying out of COU in first, as I’ve done dozens of times. FA takes drink orders, then comes back and says “really sorry, just remembered I can’t serve alcohol on the ground in Missouri.” I pointed out I’ve been served booze before departure at COU, STL, MCI and SGF many times. She said she would check, then came back and showed me the rulebook that does in fact have a list of states not to serve on the ground, which included MO.

Generally speaking we have some of the laxest liquor laws in the nation (something about Annheiser-Busch based in STL seems to have an effect here) so this seems pretty weird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.