Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
3/20 AA2074 PHL-LGA. Yes, several times. Before door closed and as we were de-icing.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by bcm0830
With this service being so inconsistent for so many years, and I'm sure many of us voicing frustration, I just don't understand how nothing happens. How did LUS get crews trained to be consistent with this service, but LAA crews seem to struggle. I do find that newer AA crews are more inclined to offer a PDB service. It's frustrating.
<bolding mine>

Because, there are no rewards for providing the PDB, and there are no consequences for not providing the PDB. Hence........a crap shoot.
Global321 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by bcm0830
With this service being so inconsistent for so many years, and I'm sure many of us voicing frustration, I just don't understand how nothing happens. How did LUS get crews trained to be consistent with this service, but LAA crews seem to struggle. I do find that newer AA crews are more inclined to offer a PDB service. It's frustrating.
With the vast majority of my non-shuttle flights routing through PHL, I've found the older LUS crews to give much better service than the younger ones, e.g. eye contact, introducing themselves, proactive refills, etc. Incentives for service most assuredly play a role, but so does corporate vision/messaging. Doesn't seem to me that Douggie and Co. are supplying front line staff with a vision for AA. Is AA domestic F meant to be a premium "experience" or a bigger seat with better luggage stowage options?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
With the vast majority of my non-shuttle flights routing through PHL, I've found the older LUS crews to give much better service than the younger ones, e.g. eye contact, introducing themselves, proactive refills, etc. Incentives for service most assuredly play a role, but so does corporate vision/messaging. Doesn't seem to me that Douggie and Co. are supplying front line staff with a vision for AA. Is AA domestic F meant to be a premium "experience" or a bigger seat with better luggage stowage options?
To me it's exactly the same as CX premium economy (which comes with PDB selections among champagne, OJ and water)...
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jcatman
Because, there are no rewards for providing the PDB, and there are no consequences for not providing the PDB. Hence........a crap shoot.
Here's an idea: offer commissions to FAs when they provide PDB. Passengers can report whether they were offered a PDB and the FAs can be compensated accordingly.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Most recent trip, in paid F, only 1 for 4.

3/14/17: DCA-LAX: No
3/14/17: LAX-LAS: Yes
3/19/17: LAS-LAX: No
3/19/17: LAX-DCA: No

All flights boarded on time, and even arrived early. Especially for a DCA to LAX and return flight, I would have expected a better, more senior crew perhaps? Slightly off-topic, but on several of the flights I was not offered to have my coat hung. I either had to flag down an attendant or in one case, it sat with me from LAS to LAX. The best term I can find to describe the majority of AA flight attendants I've experienced lately is lazy. Any point in raising this issue to AA? I assume they don't really care.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
Most recent trip, in paid F, only 1 for 4.

3/14/17: DCA-LAX: No
3/14/17: LAX-LAS: Yes
3/19/17: LAS-LAX: No
3/19/17: LAX-DCA: No

All flights boarded on time, and even arrived early. Especially for a DCA to LAX and return flight, I would have expected a better, more senior crew perhaps? Slightly off-topic, but on several of the flights I was not offered to have my coat hung. I either had to flag down an attendant or in one case, it sat with me from LAS to LAX. The best term I can find to describe the majority of AA flight attendants I've experienced lately is lazy. Any point in raising this issue to AA? I assume they don't really care.
AA, in general, doesn't care
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:15 pm

AA 808
BOS -> PHL
A321

pdb offered and accepted despite late arriving aircraft, full flight, etc.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
The best term I can find to describe the majority of AA flight attendants I've experienced lately is lazy. Any point in raising this issue to AA? I assume they don't really care.
You could complain to AA, but they unfortunately don’t care. AA will tell you that you’re lucky to have gotten to your destination without a deadly catastrophe and that you should simply be grateful for that. They’ll then tell you to just pound sand if you’re still upset.

That has been my experience as of late, at least. For more egregious issues, I’ve begun bypassing AA entirely and contacting the DOT first.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:01 pm

AA 2100
PHL -> IAH
E190

Pdb offered and accepted. Surprised to make it given all of the delays. And after the A321 endless boarding process, love these Embraers.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
3/21 AA #2191 FLL-DFW - LAA B738 - Full PDB with multiple refills due to the delay. Fantastic senior LAA flight attendant.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
AA2189 RDU-DFW 3/21

Boarded early, catering already came and no PDB. F/A could have cared less the entire flight. No smile, no response when I would say "thank you." Pretty much felt like she thought she was in prison by being there and she had "Purser" on her name tag. I'd hate to have her as my purser on a 10 hour flight!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:38 am

AA 800
IAH -> PHL
E-190

PDb offered and accepted. Didn’t test the TBAC’s rules on this 06:00 departure... But did observe a Bloody Mary being served
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-MIA LAA 738 with seat back AVOD and full PDB
MIA-EYW E175 and full PDBEYW-CLT E175 and full PDBCLT-LGA LUS A321 and full PDB by an excellent LUS FAI’m starting to forget the last time I didn’t get a PDB on AA or LUS or maybe it’s too many PDBs

Last edited by AANYC1981; Mar 28, 2018 at 10:41 pm
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:48 am

AA 1906
PHL -> BOS
E-190

PDB offered and accepted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.