Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
I have yet to not receive a PDB on an American Eagle flight operated by Compass Airlines. That's about two dozen flights in 2017.

The Compass crews are a shining example for mainline crews to emulate.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:04 pm

AA's reply to my formal complaint

Originally Posted by brc757rr

Please take the time and send a tweet or a formal complaint. Totally unacceptable.
January 3, 2018

Dear IAATM:

Thank you for writing Customer Relations. I am sorry that you did not receive a beverage prior to the departure of your flight to Los Angeles on New Year's Eve-- you certainly should have.

Our inflight procedures mandate that unless circumstances or time constraints dictate otherwise, our customers traveling in first or business class cabins are to be offered a predeparture beverage on every flight. If, however, there are operational challenges that limit the time the aircraft is scheduled to be on the ground, our flight attendants must use their discretion to determine if there is sufficient time for a beverage service before take-off.

Since none of the elements that would prevent a predeparture beverage service are apparent on your flight, I've shared your email with our managers in our Flight Service Department to ensure compliance with our inflight procedures.

IAATM, again, I apologize for what happened (or in this case, what didn't happen) but appreciate your letting us know about it. Your valuable feedback gives us the opportunity to improve. We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.
Sincerely,

[Name redacted]
Customer Relations

American Airlines
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Will the latest $1K pay help any?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL Diamond, AC SE100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Platinum
1/8 AA345, LGA-ORD. No PDB, coats not collected until door close. That was just the beginning. No attention paid to meal pre-orders. Drink, mixed nuts, and meal all came out at once on the tray. Then long wait to get tray picked up, no offer of drink refill, cookie was cold by the time it finally got to me. The flight was smooth, on time and no need for an abbreviated service. Reported to customer service.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Flight on New Year’s Day MCO to PHL was amazing. Greeted at the door, PDB, followed by the FA asking what we would like once airborne. She talked to every kid coming on board, asking about their time with Mickey.
I had a Godiva chocolate treat that I gave her as well as tweeted about the flight.
Excellent way to start the New Year!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ORD
LAA 738 with AVOD and new ViaSat WiFi with a new satellite WiFi hump on the plane.
jackets hung immediately
PDB of orange juice or water only....didn’t bother asking for anything else as I had work to do and it was the middle of the day.

This flight was weird as I couldn’t event tell who the purser was....the person taking jackets was different from the one who offered the lackluster PDB and took meal orders.....if it was the one taking meal orders, this FA kept hiding in the galley with no tray clean up or proactive drink refills while the one who floated between FC and coach did most of the work.....they were both very young but one clearly took more pride in their job (floater) than the other (sloppily dressed guy who stayed in FC).

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jan 9, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by tntflyer
1/8 AA345, LGA-ORD. No PDB, coats not collected until door close. That was just the beginning. No attention paid to meal pre-orders. Drink, mixed nuts, and meal all came out at once on the tray. Then long wait to get tray picked up, no offer of drink refill, cookie was cold by the time it finally got to me. The flight was smooth, on time and no need for an abbreviated service. Reported to customer service.
Major fail......sickening.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
LGA-ORD...
This flight was weird as I couldn’t event tell who the purser was....
there is no purser on a LGA-ORD (or most other domestic) flight. Just a "lead" or # 1 FA. Pursers are placed on int'l and transcons with Flagship service (LAX/SFO-JFK).
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
there is no purser on a LGA-ORD (or most other domestic) flight. Just a "lead" or # 1 FA. Pursers are placed on int'l and transcons with Flagship service (LAX/SFO-JFK).
lead is what I meant
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
Major fail......sickening.
A touch dramatic perhaps?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
A touch dramatic perhaps?
Man, I hope so.

But, I do understand your being defensive. Lots of FA's admit that AA does a great job with their lounges on the ground, but they also admit how bad the service and product can be in the air. Truly.

Last edited by jcatman; Jan 10, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
1/9 AA2226: DFW-DSM PDB: Water & Apple Juice only. 1x despite flight being delayed 30 minutes before takeoff.

Also weird to have a flight scheduled for 1100-1255, but no meal just snack tray for that time frame. I just bought a salad at the airport that was probably better than anything i would have received anyways.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Jan 12 AA 1207 OKC-DFW: Full PDB from an excellent crew ^
Jan 12 AA 200 DFW-SFO: Nada
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:03 am
Suspended

JFK-EZE 77W (I love this plane) in Mini Biz Cabin.....standard Int'l PDB, with refills offered. Very good crew and happy to be flying back to JFK with them. The sweet J cabin FA (who seemed to be in charge of the overall service in Biz), told me "I miss you already" before landing lol.....so sweet.
brc757rr and schertz like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
1/12: AA1587 JFK-PHX B737 - a tray of ice and non-ice water brought around with full bar offered in addition
1/15: AA1785 PHX-CLT A321 - full bar offered
1/15: AA2658 CLT-JFK B737 - full bar offered

Last edited by Fraser; Jan 17, 2018 at 8:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.