Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
29 Nov (aka yesterday)

MSY-dfw FULL PDB
dfw-mia FULL PDB
mia-mco FULL PDB + 2 PDS (snacks!)
mco-dfw FULL PDB
dfw-MSY FULL PDB

Crews were all pretty nice and mellow, as was I for most of the day.
​​​​​​​
This is based on participation, not observation.
(if you need more eqm this long day is not a bad way to do it!)
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AA 83 LAX-AKL Nov 2017 (on the awesome B789)

PDB offered. IIRC, choices were sparkling, orange juice and water.
Pleasant crew, friendly cabin crew, and bonus: nice chat with 2 of the pilots.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by 24left
29-NOV-2017 AA92 DFW-YYZ MD80 (ancient)

No PDB whatsoever.
Flown this route many times and always had PDB offered.

P.S. Crew on this flight were a bit harsh and not overly friendly or nice. Very strange.
they must be angry about their pay raises mid contract
UAPremierGuy likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ORD
LAA 738 (in seat AVOD!)
Delayed an hour and still full PDB and all jackets hung.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
DFW-MCI AA2718, B737, Sunday, December 3 departure 8:50pm.
No PDBs

Boarded about five minutes earlier than usual. Plane was only half full. Entire aircraft was boarded by 8:30pm. Two FAs milled around the First galley. No PDBs. Gate agent arrived and upgraded someone from coach to the one empty F seat. Door closed. No PDBs. Sat at gate for additional 5 minutes, and pushed around 8:45pm. No PDBs.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
12/1/17, AA1280 PHX-JFK B738 Full PDB promptly served

12/1/17, AA1 JFK-LAX A321T Full PDB with refills if desired.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
12/4/17 AA 2409 RNO-DFW. Nada
12/4/17 AA 1408 DFW-OKC. Water or OJ.

The RNO-DFW flight was particularly galling. It appeared there was some kind of FA training going on; great to see the best practices of LAA being passed on. One airborne, the lead FA provided an extra mini and full can of mixer, with a comment of "since I didn't provide a pre-departure beverage I'm giving you an extra...", which of course is lAAzier than making the second drink herself.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Out of eight flights in the past few weeks, I've gotten served a PDB once, on a delayed A321 DFW-SAT. The other seven flights, nothing. In fact, on a recent DTW-MIA flight, my family occupied seven of the eight FC seats. I asked the FA if we could get a beverage and his reply was "I'm not paid while the aircraft door is open. I'll get you a drink after we take off." I travel mostly paid F domestically and J internationally and I'm really starting to get tempted to complain to AA, not that it will really matter. From the lack of PDB and often running out of champagne in flight or worse not even having it stocked, I'm starting to get irritated.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
12/6/17 AA1555 MCO-JFK: full PDB

Great crew overall. In line with what should be expected on a domestic F flight.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by umaa83
Out of eight flights in the past few weeks, I've gotten served a PDB once, on a delayed A321 DFW-SAT. The other seven flights, nothing. In fact, on a recent DTW-MIA flight, my family occupied seven of the eight FC seats. I asked the FA if we could get a beverage and his reply was "I'm not paid while the aircraft door is open. I'll get you a drink after we take off." I travel mostly paid F domestically and J internationally and I'm really starting to get tempted to complain to AA, not that it will really matter. From the lack of PDB and often running out of champagne in flight or worse not even having it stocked, I'm starting to get irritated.
Be irritated, and rightly so. But don't let that show in the complaint. There are many things required of an employee before going on the clock so that excuse does not hold water. AND it's definitely not something they should be telling the customer. Provide as much detail of the event as possible, names, flight number, date, so AA can identify which FA needs retraining. AA is saying the service should be provided and the employee is saying they aren't going to, flat out wrong. Don't expect anything substantial from your contact, but let it add to the other complaints so they have data to discuss during the next negotiations.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Provide as much detail of the event as possible, names, flight number, date, so AA can identify which FA needs retraining.
Insubordination isn't a training issue. It's an enforcement issue.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:39 am
RJ1

12/9/17 AA2543 MIA-LAX: nothing

Door closed a few minutes early, but the captain announced additional bags had to be loaded. We sat at the gate another 20 minutes, but no attempt was made to offer PDB.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
12/8/17 AA1280 PHX-JFK: Tray of OJ and water (no ice) emerged from the galley. A discrete request for club soda with ice was granted. ^

12/9/17 AA1 JFK-LAX: Full PDB
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
12/5 DFW-LAX Flight 1246 LAA crew - No PDB, nothing but a bunch of F/A's standing around chatting
12/5 LAX-OGG Flight 253 LAA crew - Proper PDB
12/11 OGG-PHX Flight 645 LUS crew - Proper PDB
12/11 PHX-DFW Flight 649 LUS crew - Proper PDB
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Insubordination isn't a training issue. It's an enforcement issue.
It seems to me that AA couldn't care less. They know it, the crews know it, and we know it. I cannot think why otherwise this sort of hit-and-miss attitude is tolerated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.