Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Week of 9/25:

9/27 PHX-ONT LAA 1452 / 737. Full PDB of choice
9/29 ONT-PHX LAA 985 / 737. Full PDB of choice
9/30 PHX-ORD LUS 617 / 321. Full PDB of choice
9/30 ORD-CVG ENVOY AIR 3415 / E75. Full PDB of choice
9/30 CVG-DFW LAA 2268 / S80. Full PDB of choice
9/30 DFW-PHX MESA 5960 / CR9. Full PDB of choice

So far in the past two months, I will say that LAA FA's have done much better, but they need some polishing to meet the standards of the LUS FA's who no doubt go above and beyond.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
10/2 AA 955 RDU-MIA 737-800: No PDB. Awful service in the air too
10/2 AA 4467 MIA-JAX EMB-175: Full PDB ^^ Boarding was delayed by 20 minutes and yet we STILL got full PDBs. I gave out AAplause Certificates to both flight attendants in fact.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by CMK10
10/2 AA 955 RDU-MIA 737-800: No PDB. Awful service in the air too
10/2 AA 4467 MIA-JAX EMB-175: Full PDB ^^ Boarding was delayed by 20 minutes and yet we STILL got full PDBs. I gave out AAplause Certificates to both flight attendants in fact.
Next time RDU->CLT->JAX? Never an issue with PDB there...
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Next time RDU->CLT->JAX? Never an issue with PDB there...
Perhaps, but RDU-CLT is a pretty tough upgrade especially with the multiple 319 on the route
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:27 pm

AA pre departures

If AA cared about pre departures as much as the customer does, don't you think they would do something about it? How about board premium cabin, then let 5 mins go by and board main? Oh no, on time is much more important, and premium must wait. Pick your battles here
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DL/UA “i.e the main global US airline competition” have no problem figuring this out....imagine that....they must work magic or have magic employees!”

United offers full PDB even in Biz on transcons and to Europe...my brother who is GS is always giving me a hard time when we are on AA.....lame.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Oct 5, 2017 at 11:20 pm
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by skylady
If AA cared about pre departures as much as the customer does, don't you think they would do something about it? How about board premium cabin, then let 5 mins go by and board main? Oh no, on time is much more important, and premium must wait. Pick your battles here
I like you Skylady and appreciate your contributions....but it’s not that difficult. Maybe AA managers should do some inflight trips on your global competitors that have no problem operating on-time and offering a full PDB without being
Late. It’s not rocket science. AA is all about excuses these days.....In most US work places team work wins (ahem DL) which seems to be the easy/simple solution to get simple job tasks done without making excuses about MGMT/Time etc.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Oct 5, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
AA Management doesn't even have to look to the competition! I'm batting about 80 to 85% success with PDBs only because 80 to 85% of my flights are with PMUS. Somehow, magically, those FAs have it figured out (mostly EC shuttle).

Whats next? Extend boarding time by 5 minutes to conduct the exit row brief? On time departures or PDB is a choice as in you get one or the other? Gimme a break...
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I fail to see why these need to be mutually exclusive. There are plenty of airlines which are able to both offer PDBs and on-time departures. Unfortunately AA usually fails at both.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:17 am

Huh? pmUS has no problem doing full PDB and getting out on time. UA does full PDB and gets out on time. DL does full PDB and gets out on time.

Are you implying pmAA FA's are too incompetent to accomplish what all other FA do? Or just to lAAzy?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
Huh? pmUS has no problem doing full PDB and getting out on time. UA does full PDB and gets out on time. DL does full PDB and gets out on time.

Are you implying pmAA FA's are too incompetent to accomplish what all other FA do? Or just to lAAzy?
I've been flying a lot of Compass Airlines operating as American Eagle this year. Not once have they missed serving a PDB. ^
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Global321

Lots of excuses are always given for FAs who don't do their job. But it basically comes down to one thing. They don't have to do their jobs as described and no one is going to make them. Poor management and union leadership that does not care how their rank and file is viewed. I have said it before, I good union polices its own.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:25 pm

I'm not making excuses, only offering an observation. I work the premium cabin, where boarding is accomplished through the 2L door, so pre departure beverages are always happening on my flights
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:25 pm
Suspended

I'm not making excuses, only offering an observation. I work the premium cabin, where boarding is accomplished through the 2L door, so pre departure beverages are always happening on my flights
Thank You for this! 👍
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Please tell us your usual routing so we can book on your flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.