Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Just boarded my 12th AA domestic F segment this month. It's been an abysmal month for PDBs - only receiving on 2 of 12 (16%) of my segments (1 on Envoy and 1 legacy US crew; zero for legacy AA crews). To make matters worse, 3 flights were fully boarded more than 15 minutes before scheduled departure time and one flight was delayed 70 minutes after scheduled departure time awaiting maintenance paperwork (no PDBs for any of those flights - with ample time to provide this service).

Why can't AA get this right?

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by The smallest state
We can all tell how well this thread is keeping the PBD in line.......
PBD = Pre-beverage departure? Plenty of evidence for that in this thread
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by wetrat0
PBD = Pre-beverage departure? Plenty of evidence for that in this thread
HA. Great catch. And surprisingly accurate too.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
30AUG17 AA2178 DEN-DFW (LAA) Full PDB by a young and eager crew. Haven't learned the poor habits of the long-timers.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
LAX - MCO 8/30 @ 21:15

Full PDB and even asked us if we would like to keep our beverages during take-off (I declined)
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
343 SFO-PHL last night. Man in row 1B got 2 drinks pre-departure, the rest of row 1 got a drink, nobody else did. 1B got 5 drinks before I got my glass of water. He then proceeded to watch a movie with no headphones and the volume moderately loud while everyone else tried to sleep. Glad I paid for a miles plus co-pay upgrade!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-DFW LAA 32B and full PDB....NYC based crew.
DFW-HNL LAA 763 bubbles, OJ or water. Person across the aisle asked for a mixed drink and was turned down.
HNL-DFW LAA 777 bubbles, OJ, water
DFW-LGA LAA 32B and full PDB (although extremely late and after the door had closed). NYC based crew.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Sep 5, 2017 at 10:41 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mike.macrone
LAX - MCO *******

Full PDB and even asked us if we would like to keep our beverages during take-off (I declined)
Might want to dump the specific flight info on there. Wouldn't want to possibly get a good crew in trouble.
jcatman and zpaul like this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
8/21/17 AA 242 MIA-ORD 767 No PDB
9/1/17 AA 2443 ORD-MIA New 737 No PDB

I haven't been on AA in years, I just thought they did not give PDB.

I bought up to first. Flights were awesome!!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: QF WP, QP Life, LT Gold, AA, DL
8/31/17
AA 94 SAN-JFK 737
Full PDB with full first and coach.
Kept the drinks flowing for the whole flight and were enthusiastically pro-active for the whole flight. NYC based crew. Well done!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by medicus
8/31/17
AA 94 SAN-JFK 737
Full PDB with full first and coach.
Kept the drinks flowing for the whole flight and were enthusiastically pro-active for the whole flight. NYC based crew. Well done!
I'm loving the AA NYC crew these days (not just PDB related).
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by cmd320
Might want to dump the specific flight info on there. Wouldn't want to possibly get a good crew in trouble.
Wouldn't it be ironic if AA used FT info to reprimand staff for breaking rules but not do anything about not delivering promised service?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Wouldn't it be ironic if AA used FT info to reprimand staff for breaking rules but not do anything about not delivering promised service?
Haha, that indeed would be ironic.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta, HH Diamond, Marriott, AA Gold
LGA – RDU Aug 30, 2017 AA 1669
RDU – LGA Aug 31, 2017 AA 4426

Full PDB both flights with several refills despite the short flight time. I’m not sure why this is so difficult for some crews or why AA allows the inconsistency. This is a very small thing that appears to generate a lot of goodwill when done right and very negative feelings when not done.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
8/31 AA#32 LAX-JFK A321T LAA - Tray of water, OJ and a thimble amount of warm sparkling garbage. 🙄

9/1 AA#2152 LGA-BOS E-190 LUS - Full PDB
9/1 AA#1943 BOS-PHL A320 LUS - Full PDB
9/1 AA#1779 PHL-PIT B752 LUS - Full PDB
9/1 AA#1779 PIT-PHL B752 LUS - Full PDB
9/1 AA#5070 PHL-DTW CRJ700 PSA - Full PDB

9/4 AA# DTW-CLT A320 LUS - Full PDB
9/4 AA# CLT-LGA A321 LUS - Full PDB

My 100% LUS PDB continues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.