Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
LAX-MIA 777-200 Business Class - PDB of OJ, water, or champagne
mike.macrone likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
LAX-MIA 777-200 Business Class - PDB of OJ, water, or champagne
Love the first and business class on the 777 domestic. Makes flying domestic that much better
UAPremierGuy likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by lds89
on my flights this year LUS crews have not missed a single PDB. With LAA crews, it's been way better this year than last year (probably about 75% offer something, but usually only the LAAzy PDB of OJ or water, about 25% offer full choice). Last year PDBs were under 50% on LAA crews and close to 100% on LUS crews
I'm going to be dumb here, how do you know if the crew is LUS or LAA?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by flyerbobflyer
I'm going to be dumb here, how do you know if the crew is LUS or LAA?
they haven't cross-fleeted crews yet. if you are on an LUS plane you get an LUS crew. And trust me, you'll know if you're on an LUS plane
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by lds89
they haven't cross-fleeted crews yet. if you are on an LUS plane you get an LUS crew. And trust me, you'll know if you're on an LUS plane
Sticking my neck out - is the livery what I am looking for or something else? still
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Sticking my neck out - is the livery what I am looking for or something else? still
No, you'll most likely be flying on an A321 out PHL or CLT. When you book your flight it will show A321, which is LUS, vs A32B which is LAA. Also, the LUS narrowbody fleet has no power ports or IFE, plus you'll be delivered a full PDB...making it a LUS flight for sure.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
MIA-SJU - old Boeing 737 - PDB of choice from a great, attentive crew!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by The smallest state
This thread really is great. As the totality of the PDB "offering" seems to be hodge-podge to say the least.

Where I work, if my boss asked me to do something to the customers when they called or walked in the door, I'd do it. Maybe I wouldn't feel like doing or want to do it, but I'd do it. Why? because the boss told me too.

Now if there was some reason I couldn't, I would say to the customer, 'hey sorry, you didn't get _______, let me know what I can do now' but to just ignore it or hide from it is crazy.
Now put yourself in an environment where there is no management presence and therefore no repercussions for not doing as told it would be very easy to cut back on the service delivered. Also, given all new "tasks" must be approved by the union and they don't monitor activity, again, why do it?

Until AA puts some reporting process in place, be it staff or IT, I doubt we will see much change until the bad apples age out of the system.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by brc757rr
No, you'll most likely be flying on an A321 out PHL or CLT. When you book your flight it will show A321, which is LUS, vs A32B which is LAA. Also, the LUS narrowbody fleet has no power ports or IFE, plus you'll be delivered a full PDB...making it a LUS flight for sure.
Thanks, I very west coast PHX and farther, 99.9 % 738 and CR9's...
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:32 am

So as mentioned upthread, the FAs have not been integrated to work on each other's legacy carrier metal. So for now, LAA aircraft have LAA crew and LUS aircraft have LUS crews.

It makes it kind of easy to know what legacy your crew is from based on the plane you're on because they don't really overlap aircraft types and where they do, there are stark difference.

LAA:
S80
777-200/300
787-8/9

LUS:
A320
A330-200/300
E190

Shared aircraft type:
A321/319 - LAA aircraft have seatback IFE, LUS do not.
757 - LAA 16 lie flat biz seats, LUS 12 biz seats.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:49 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
So as mentioned upthread, the FAs have not been integrated to work on each other's legacy carrier metal. So for now, LAA aircraft have LAA crew and LUS aircraft have LUS crews.

It makes it kind of easy to know what legacy your crew is from based on the plane you're on because they don't really overlap aircraft types and where they do, there are stark difference.

LAA:
S80
777-200/300
787-8/9

LUS:
A320
A330-200/300
E190

Shared aircraft type:
A321/319 - LAA aircraft have seatback IFE, LUS do not.
757 - LAA 16 lie flat biz seats, LUS 12 biz seats.
Thanks! ^
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:53 pm

SJU-MIA - Old Boeing 737 - One of the most chaotic boardings I've seen in awhile, with several coach passengers arguing with the FA's over lack of bin space. Catering arrived half-way through boarding. FA'S STILL managed PDB of OJ or water after door close -- major props to them. ^
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Now put yourself in an environment where there is no management presence and therefore no repercussions for not doing as told it would be very easy to cut back on the service delivered. Also, given all new "tasks" must be approved by the union and they don't monitor activity, again, why do it?

Until AA puts some reporting process in place, be it staff or IT, I doubt we will see much change until the bad apples age out of the system.
Great call RogerD408. The lack of any response or repercussions allows this to continue. In fact, to my knowledge, the only "reporting system" is this thread.

We can all tell how well this thread is keeping the PBD in line.......
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I did get a survey from AA asking about my recent MSP-LGA flight and they did ask if I received a PDB of choice in the survey. Of course this time I actually did get one and also took the chance to let them know how great their MSP ground staff are too.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:17 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I did get a survey from AA asking about my recent MSP-LGA flight and they did ask if I received a PDB of choice in the survey. Of course this time I actually did get one and also took the chance to let them know how great their MSP ground staff are too.
Interesting, I just got a survey about my Monday flight that asked many questions about the trip including PDB, etc. Since this survey asked how I felt about AA in general on lots of topics I rated very low my satisfaction with all the cancel/change issues I have been having for the last 5 or 6 weeks. I also took the time to recognize a superb TA/GA at my home airport.

10 minutes later, I received a response from someone who ACTUALLY READ my comments both bad and good and credited me with a goodwill 10,000 miles. Ok, wow! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.