Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
AA220 DFW-AMS 30Jul17 Full on PDB - great service
AA221 AMS-DFW 16Aug17 No PDB - Three hour departure delay, too!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
8/26 AA 5984 PIA-DFW (Mesa CR9). Full PDB for the 5 PAX in F after the stew sadly accepted that even with a total PAX load of 20 we wouldn't get to push early. Good service from the snack basket in flight.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Aug 16 - AA2780 (CRJ700) - BTR-DFW - Full PDB

Aug 16 - AA2361 (MD80) - DFW-BWI - Full PDB

Aug 19 - AA22 (MD80) - BWI-DFW - NO PDB - Flight was repeatedly delayed for mechanical reasons and GA messed up boarding process by announcing Group 1 prior to boarding her three wheelchair passengers. Chaos during boarding but excellent service from the front cabin FAs once in the air.

Aug 19 - AA2832 (CRJ700) DFW-BTR - Full PDB
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:27 pm

8/25 AA 2463 787-900 No PDB Offered despite early push back n all.

7/4 AA 83 A321T F. No PDB. Crew said he doesn't work on evening flights blah blah.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by anchor79
8/25 AA 2463 787-900 No PDB Offered despite early push back n all.

7/4 AA 83 A321T F. No PDB. Crew said he doesn't work on evening flights blah blah.
LAAzy, pAAthetic, and sAAd. And if you write to AA about this, you'll get the stock response: "We'll discuss this matter with the station under further review". No wonder, IME, the F cabins on JFK to LAX/SFO are filled with nonrevs...
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by anchor79
Unbelievable. And on what is marketed as the ultra-premium domestic flagship product.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
8/26 AA 421 LAS-LAX A-321: Full PDB ^^ Especially impressive as I was the last F passenger on and I didn't board until group 8
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
AA2335 ORD-DFW Aug 26th - Full PDB's - Great crew - especially since we had a delay + gate change + this crew was moved over from a different flight. They had a great attitude - AAplause certs handed out to both working in F.

AA2463 DFW-LAX Aug 26th - Water & OJ - seemed like a VERY junior crew. This was on the 787-9 and even though it's not a premium route, it felt pretty "meh".

AA1612 MIA-ORD - Aug 27th - Water ONLY (and that was only as an afterthought). Yes, we were delayed but the flight was catered when we boarded and there were plenty of gaps in boarding where a service could have been done. The only reason they came around with water is someone asked for it and, when the FA went to the Purser standing in the galley, I overheard her say "I guess we can do water". Seriously - it's not like you had all of the cups out and everything in the galley when we boarded!
mike.macrone likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Every time I do not get PBD I wonder if it is laziness or something else.... it seems to be laziness. I remember on one flight I was on - half of first class got drinks and then she just didn't come to row 3 and 4, and I asked for drinks after she clearly ignored us and gave me an attitude.

But I always wonder if it's laziness or them not wanting to help. There is always time in the boarding that they can give drinks. I have another flight tomorrow from LAX - MCO red eye, so I will let every one know if we are offered anything or not.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
Pathetic

8/27 AA100 CLT to JFK. No PDB. No idea why.
AA100 JFK to LHR. Standard international service in plastic cups. In true F.

AA mimics the worst of the old US.
mike.macrone likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
This thread really is great. As the totality of the PDB "offering" seems to be hodge-podge to say the least.

Where I work, if my boss asked me to do something to the customers when they called or walked in the door, I'd do it. Maybe I wouldn't feel like doing or want to do it, but I'd do it. Why? because the boss told me too.

Now if there was some reason I couldn't, I would say to the customer, 'hey sorry, you didn't get _______, let me know what I can do now' but to just ignore it or hide from it is crazy.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by seattleBH
8/27 AA100 CLT to JFK. No PDB. No idea why.
AA100 JFK to LHR. Standard international service in plastic cups. In true F.

AA mimics the worst of the old US.
Because you were on a LAA flight. Had it been LUS CLT-JFK not even a question that a full PDB would've been offered.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
I'm convinced that LUS always offers PDB while LAA never offers PDB.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by jacobguo
I'm convinced that LUS always offers PDB while LAA never offers PDB.
Despite the fact both were given 15% pay rises recently to 'bring out the best in each and every one', you are absolutely correct.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Despite the fact both were given 15% pay rises recently to 'bring out the best in each and every one', you are absolutely correct.
on my flights this year LUS crews have not missed a single PDB. With LAA crews, it's been way better this year than last year (probably about 75% offer something, but usually only the LAAzy PDB of OJ or water, about 25% offer full choice). Last year PDBs were under 50% on LAA crews and close to 100% on LUS crews

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.