Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
9/24 AA959 MIA-PTY 738 Standard international PDB of water, OJ, sparkling wine (I've never seen it on a narrow-body international flight before, but hey, it was something).
9/27 AA960 PTY-MIA 738 Full PDB offered, but since it was 6:30am on a work day I passed.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold
9/30 AA1295 PHX-DFW

Full PDB served.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
9/30 AA 1175 DFW-SFO

Full PDB served.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:01 am

9/30 AA 368 SEA - DFW

Full PBD!
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
LAX-LAS-LAX this week - full PDB both ways.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
  • First day of crew integration! Full PDB LGA-ORD 👍
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:07 pm

Full PDB. DFW-GEG. Nice. First time in a long time to have a late Monday flight so having an adult beverage!!!
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
9/17, AA1368 - MIA-LAS - 3/4 PDB - Tray with water OJ from a (non-smiling surly I want to be anywhere but here) FA. Asked for a beer. Got a 'fine'. No eye contact. No smile. Delivered by the same (I hate all of you) FA, with no smile, no eye contact again. In fact she did not smile or make eye contact with anyone during the flight. The same ('somebody kill me please') FA never confirmed pre-orders and ran out of pre-order choices. (Mrs and I were in the back of 767 business class.) We did get what we pre-ordered but, the lady in the middle did not. Needless to say, she was not happy.

Can't complain about the hard product - B767 1-2-1 business class - but the soft product leaves a lot to be desired. I would easily put up with a surly FA for a very comfortable ride.
Originally Posted by Global321
9/21, AA1368 - LAS-MIA. Boarded on time, maybe a little early. Boarding 99% complete 15 minutes before scheduled departure. FA's up front talking and drinking from water bottles. For first class... NOTHING. (We were catered / re-catered around departure time.) Then delayed about 30 minutes due to Air Force One. And again, we got... NOTHING.

Service during the flight was a bit strange. Friendly crew, but after the first drinks and meal service, if you wanted a drink you had to go to the galley to get it. Again, friendly crew gabbing up front but ignored call buttons. When you got to the galley, super friendly and eager to get you what you wanted. So in the air, it was fine. Just strange.

(FWIW - In chatting with the crew... on this flight, they fly MIA-LAS-MIA same day. They do about 80 hours a month. That works out to 9-10 work days a month. Not bad.)
Eh, not encouraging. We are doing MIA -LAS MIA this weekenf, putbound in J but return in Y and not looking forward to that if that is the service lol we "splurged " for first on the way there so as long as they bring me an ice creams sundae I'll be happy. I'll skip the PDB for that sundaw lol
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Full PDB on ORD-LGA tonight LAA as seen from MCE and NYC based crew. 738 eqp....middle seat empty next to me so can’t complain!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
9/29
AA1865 DCA-CLT (LUS) - Full PDB
AA649 CLT-SAN (LUS) - Full PDB

10/3
AA2246 SAN-DFW (LAA) - Tray of water
AA2752 DFW-DCA (LAA) - Tray of water (but good service in the air)

​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Does anyone know how the crews are getting mixed via bases now after the 10/1 integration? I'm seeing NYC being stellar and it seems like DFW is still stuck in LAA land which is not surprising given the LAA base there.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
10-03 AA1379 MIA-TPA Full PDB. 2nd drink and snack basket in the air despite very short flight.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jcatman
Didn't you get the memo? Lots of "anger" out there because the 787 is a wide-body with lots more premium-cabin passengers, and there's more work to do without more pay.
789 has 30 seats and 2 FAs while 738 has 16 with one FA. Unless that was sarcasm.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by TSparky
789 has 30 seats and 2 FAs while 738 has 16 with one FA. Unless that was sarcasm.
I wish it was sarcasm. There is a viewpoint out there that the 787 aircraft has additional FA duties which include distribution and collection of headphones; additional bedding; IFE which may need to be "reset"; complicated lie-flat seats which can require explanation; etc.

Hence, "let's streamline this by eliminating the PDB".
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
9/29 AA 409 CLT-PHL A-321: Full PDB
10/2 AA 2348 CLT-BOS 737-800: Full PDB. This was surprising as we were an hour late and a full flight, good job F/As who actually try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.