Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
09-19 AA669 TPA-MIA Full PDB
zpaul likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
DEN-DFW - LAA A321B - PDB of choice! ^
PHL-BOS - LAA Boeing 737-800 w/ PTV version - PDB of choice, even with weather-hold delayed and then rushed boarding! ^
BOS-DFW - LAA OLD Boeing 737-800 - PDB of choice! ^
DFW-ICN - LAA Boeing 787-9 - PDB of OJ, water, champagne. My request to make a mimosa was happily accepted.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
9/18 FL148 DFW-ANC Water Only
9/19 FL148 ANC-DFW Water Only (Same crew as outbound FL. Not very outgoing/friendly FA. Seemed to be going thru the motions. Having the same FA again, I knew she was not going to offer a PDB so I asked for a glass of wine. She said no. She could get it after take off. This was a red eye flight. All I wanted was 1 glass of wine then right to bed. We boarded thru door 2L so there were no coach passengers to deal with/avoid walking to their seats. We had a nice quiet cabin. Disappointing). Should mention too we were 1.5 hrs+ late taking off. You think she could of varied her obvious routine here a bit for some added customer service.
9/19 FL1497 DFW-BOS No PDB. In fact after bfast was served I did not see the FA coming around the cabin. Admittedly I did doze some but during my waking hours, nothing.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
9/21 AA1287 BOS->ORD - fun while it lasted on this routing, today was OJ and H2O tray
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:07 pm

9/17, AA1368 - MIA-LAS - 3/4 PDB - Tray with water OJ from a (non-smiling surly I want to be anywhere but here) FA. Asked for a beer. Got a 'fine'. No eye contact. No smile. Delivered by the same (I hate all of you) FA, with no smile, no eye contact again. In fact she did not smile or make eye contact with anyone during the flight. The same ('somebody kill me please') FA never confirmed pre-orders and ran out of pre-order choices. (Mrs and I were in the back of 767 business class.) We did get what we pre-ordered but, the lady in the middle did not. Needless to say, she was not happy.

Can't complain about the hard product - B767 1-2-1 business class - but the soft product leaves a lot to be desired. I would easily put up with a surly FA for a very comfortable ride.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
9/18 FL148 DFW-ANC Water Only
9/19 FL148 ANC-DFW Water Only (Same crew as outbound FL. Not very outgoing/friendly FA. Seemed to be going thru the motions. Having the same FA again, I knew she was not going to offer a PDB so I asked for a glass of wine. She said no. She could get it after take off. This was a red eye flight. All I wanted was 1 glass of wine then right to bed. We boarded thru door 2L so there were no coach passengers to deal with/avoid walking to their seats. We had a nice quiet cabin. Disappointing). Should mention too we were 1.5 hrs+ late taking off. You think she could of varied her obvious routine here a bit for some added customer service.
9/19 FL1497 DFW-BOS No PDB. In fact after bfast was served I did not see the FA coming around the cabin. Admittedly I did doze some but during my waking hours, nothing.
jesus this is bad but sadly not shocking for LAA.....she should be ashamed.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Global321
9/17, AA1368 - MIA-LAS - 3/4 PDB - Tray with water OJ from a (non-smiling surly I want to be anywhere but here) FA. Asked for a beer. Got a 'fine'. No eye contact. No smile. Delivered by the same (I hate all of you) FA, with no smile, no eye contact again. In fact she did not smile or make eye contact with anyone during the flight. The same ('somebody kill me please') FA never confirmed pre-orders and ran out of pre-order choices. (Mrs and I were in the back of 767 business class.) We did get what we pre-ordered but, the lady in the middle did not. Needless to say, she was not happy.

Can't complain about the hard product - B767 1-2-1 business class - but the soft product leaves a lot to be desired. I would easily put up with a surly FA for a very comfortable ride.
I wonder if that FA's attitude would do a 180 degree turn if she was asked to do the credit card pitch.
Global321, brc757rr and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:53 am

9/21, AA1368 - LAS-MIA. Boarded on time, maybe a little early. Boarding 99% complete 15 minutes before scheduled departure. FA's up front talking and drinking from water bottles. For first class... NOTHING. (We were catered / re-catered around departure time.) Then delayed about 30 minutes due to Air Force One. And again, we got... NOTHING.

Service during the flight was a bit strange. Friendly crew, but after the first drinks and meal service, if you wanted a drink you had to go to the galley to get it. Again, friendly crew gabbing up front but ignored call buttons. When you got to the galley, super friendly and eager to get you what you wanted. So in the air, it was fine. Just strange.

(FWIW - In chatting with the crew... on this flight, they fly MIA-LAS-MIA same day. They do about 80 hours a month. That works out to 9-10 work days a month. Not bad.)
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Global321
9/21, AA1368 - LAS-MIA. Boarded on time, maybe a little early. Boarding 99% complete 15 minutes before scheduled departure. FA's up front talking and drinking from water bottles. For first class... NOTHING. (We were catered / re-catered around departure time.) Then delayed about 30 minutes due to Air Force One. And again, we got... NOTHING.

Service during the flight was a bit strange. Friendly crew, but after the first drinks and meal service, if you wanted a drink you had to go to the galley to get it. Again, friendly crew gabbing up front but ignored call buttons. When you got to the galley, super friendly and eager to get you what you wanted. So in the air, it was fine. Just strange.

(FWIW - In chatting with the crew... on this flight, they fly MIA-LAS-MIA same day. They do about 80 hours a month. That works out to 9-10 work days a month. Not bad.)
must be nice....the rest of us do our jobs as described (and required) and work a lot more than that.
Global321 and brc757rr like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
MIA/PHL sitting in 12A in the 763 min icabin. F FA comes through F with a tray of warm water and warm OJ. Not many takers so she comes back into the mini cabin offering the rest of the tray. I declined. Warm OJ on a hot day not really appealing.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
9-23, AA 606, CLT-SMF Full PDB. Great flight crew.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
AA 6087 - Compass E175 - LAX-DEN - NO PDB and no conceivable reason why. Male FA seems very overwhelmed by and under qualified for his job.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador
Flight 2240 9/23 SEA-DFW. No PDB, FA's just staying in F galley chatting, not even greeting passengers.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
9/13 - LAX to DFW, no PBD A321
9/15 - DFW to LAX, PBD offered (Water/OJ) B789
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
9/23 LAX-DFW Water/OJ B789
9/23 DFW-IND Water/OJ B738 and then we sat for an hour waiting for the flight crew.

I would understand if these were morning flights, but OJ in the afternoon & evening? Just going through the motions...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.