Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Amb
12/23/17 AA0490 PHX-OMA - Full PDB
12/28/17 AA6009 OMA-LAX - Full PDB

I guess I had good holiday travel luck!
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by LAXmatt
12/23/17 AA0490 PHX-OMA - Full PDB
12/28/17 AA6009 OMA-LAX - Full PDB

I guess I had good holiday travel luck!
pmUSAIR flights. Great before the holidays.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:31 pm

12/31/17 AA2223 ORD-LAX: no PDB.

i asked the lead FA in the first class galley, after the L1 door had shut, but before any airplane movement.

”Excuse me, could I get a Woodford PDB?”

He replied, “Oh no, we can’t serve anything on the ground, but we’ll get you something when we get up in the air.”

Note: we sat there about 10 min after the door shut and before pushback.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by IAATM

i asked the lead FA in the first class galley, after the L1 door had shut, but before any airplane movement.

”Excuse me, could I get a Woodford PDB?”

He replied, “Oh no, we can’t serve anything on the ground, but we’ll get you something when we get up in the air.”

Note: we sat there about 10 min after the door shut and before pushback.
Please take the time and send a tweet or a formal complaint. Totally unacceptable.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:20 pm

Not supposed to distribute service items after the door is closed.
skylady likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
12/21 AA 2151 LGA-BOS Shuttle. No PDB. FA was on his phone and then chatting with his counterpart. That being said, he did bring over a drink without issue when I asked. We'll see what happens in the air as the shuttle flights always seem to have "turbulence".
Turbuence? Never heard that one. About 80% of my AA flights last year were shuttle and I can count on one hand the number of PDB fails. The shuttle is one of the few bight spots with AA PDB performance; I would report this one to AA.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
I think it is safe to say there zero chance the door being closed had anything to do with no PDB being served.
jcatman likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
or apparently before the door closes either lol

I’ve asked for something befor the door closes and got the same reply: “we will get you whatever you want in the air” um duh, I know that.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
It’s too bad you didn’t have a screenshot of the service flowsheet. Had the door been open, I would’ve produced that on my phone and said, “that’s a lie.”

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

or apparently before the door closes either lol

I’ve asked for something befor the door closes and got the same reply: “we will get you whatever you want in the air” um duh, I know that.
I’ve heard that “we will get you whatever you want in the air” phrase ver batim before, too. It seems common on here. Is there a chance that it is an organized response to the PDB policy once AA began emphasizing it?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Seems like they don't wanna hear it.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:24 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by brewdog11

It’s too bad you didn’t have a screenshot of the service flowsheet. Had the door been open, I would’ve produced that on my phone and said, “that’s a lie.”

I’ve heard that “we will get you whatever you want in the air” phrase ver batim before, too. It seems common on here. Is there a chance that it is an organized response to the PDB policy once AA began emphasizing it?
Nah, just one of those pesky little FARs
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by skylady
oh that is the reason pmAA FA's don't do PDB?

Wonder how pmUS, UA, DL, etc etc etc are able to do it and pmAA FA's can't? Oh right, the door closes earlier on pmAA flights. Got it.

People on this thread have heard every excuse in the book from pmAA FA's on why they can't do PDB. It is just another excuse.
CHOPCHOP767 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
received PDB on AUA-CLT and CLT-IAH. First leg was LUS second LAA.

Interesting - while we were offered PDB in AUA, the FA said anything except no alcohol allowed on the ground. Must be local regulation
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by skylady
Had you read my original post more carefully, you would’ve seen that I took the “pesky little FAR” about service items into account by mentioning “had the door still been open.” I’ve heard the “we can’t / we don’t do that” excuse before with the door open and boarding complete at T minus 20 min.

I’m in no way expecting workers to break federal regulations. I just expect people to do their jobs as outlined and contractually agreed upon. That’s not too unreasonable or capricious, is it?
Global321 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:43 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by brewdog11
I just expect people to do their jobs as outlined and contractually agreed upon. That’s not too unreasonable or capricious, is it?

Speaking for myself, this is neither capricious or unreasonable, but while strongly encouraged by the company, PDB service is not a contractual provision for FA’s at AA. However, contrary to your beliefs here at FlyerTalk, the vast majority of us like our jobs and take pride in what we do. We also know (per the surveys) that our first class passengers like this service and we try our best to do PDB’s (I always do, even during delays), but again, it is voluntary. Some of you seem to forget the vast majority of our customers are not subscribed to or post on FlyerTalk so the views here are somewhat skewed in a very negative way. In my opinion and I believe the internal customer service surveys (made public here somehow) show this and back me up, the majority of us do perform this voluntary service because we truly enjoy what we do and value our customers.

You may note and bring up the perceived difference between PM-LUS and PM-LAA crews when it comes to PDB service and this is probably due to a difference in our respective companies (AA and US). While I can’t speak for PM-US, at PM-AA at least, PDB service has never really been enforced by the company. This of course is changing, but it takes time to change a company’s culture. When some of my colleagues tell you they are not being paid to provide this service (incredibly rude and frustrating as it may be) it’s true. The department of labor does not consider per-diem as an acceptable form of compensation for labor performed outside of our required FAR and FAA mandated duties and responsibilities for which we are licensed and required to perform by law.

Perhaps in the next round of contract negotiations this provision will be included (along with appropriate compensation for work performed prior to aircraft movement) in the contract. While there are, admittedly, some lazy, rotten apples amongst our ranks, the vast majority of us do take pride in what we do and will continue to provide you with the service you appreciate and expect.

Our new management is reaching out and is starting to garner lots of goodwill by their actions and treatment of employees. I can already see the difference in attitudes amongst my workgroup - a lot less bitterness and more contentment as they finally feel appreciated after many decades of stagnation, ill-treatment, in-fighting and concessions.

I hope this helps to clear some confusion and misinformation out there. For my part, I thank all of you very much for your loyalty, your patience, and your continued business. I hope to see you on one of my flights in the near future.
JonNYC, dpb132 and rabbits5 like this.

Last edited by LunaFreya_Artois; Jan 2, 2018 at 10:35 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.