Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 9, 17, 4:06 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Nov 27, 16, 12:33 pm

CP#6005 is down with a small mechanical fix done in DEN being incorrectly logged. Rolling delay in the Eagles' Nest with no AC access.

Trying to be patient before getting endorsed over to a UA flight.
Old Nov 28, 16, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA (PLT/3MM/Admirals Club), AS (MVPG), UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors, Accor (Plat)
AA 499 DFW-SFO Medical Emergency

About 2 hours in to AA 499 (op by N170US) on Saturday night, they brought someone up to the front and got an oxygen bottle out from above row 1. Then they paged for any passengers with medical training.

The person having problems was a uniformed crew member, but I think she may have been deadheading to work another trip rather than serving as one of that flight's crew members.

At any rate, a few people came forward and two of them worked on the poor lady for the remainder of the flight. I was seated in row 2 so I had quite a view of the activity. I won't go into the details of the various things they did in respect of the woman's privacy, but I was expecting that we might be turning towards LAS or PHX at any moment.

Fortunately for us, we did not divert. As we got into the descent they helped her back into an empty row so she could lie down until landing, and then they quickly cleaned up all the waste and prepared for landing. Another flight attendant came and sat on the extra jump seat at door 1L. There had been no service in any cabin for the last 90-120 minutes, so there wasn't much to pick up. Paramedics met the plane and she had to be wheeled out, but was conscious in the terminal after we were finally let off the plane.

Unfortunately for people waiting for the 12:40 a.m. return to DFW early Sunday (AA 444), that flight was canceled. It appears they ferried the plane back to DFW an hour or so later (AA 9617). Clearly oxygen bottles and medical kits were going to need to be restored to minimum operating levels before any passengers could board. Perhaps this lady was assigned to work the return flight and they no longer had a legal crew.

Here's hoping the flight attendant is okay.

Last edited by makfan; Nov 28, 16 at 6:09 pm
Old Nov 28, 16, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Read that LAX-AKL diverted to PPT and had to overnight. Cool diversion spot!
Old Nov 30, 16, 7:44 pm

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
AA193 LAX-HKG delayed 18 hours!

I was on AA 193 scheduled to depart LAX today morning at 12:30 am. Flight ended up leaving at 6:30 pm - 18 hours later!

Once we were on-board, everything slowly started getting worse. Doors were closed and were about to push back on schedule at 12:30 am when power went dead. Captain came on the PA after a few minutes and reported that the APU was malfunctioning - without which they were not allowed to make a transpacific crossing. For the next 3 1/2 hours we were made to wait in the plane as technician after technician tried to fix the issue. Finally the crew limits were breached and the flight got cancelled for the night at 4 am local time. ETD was set at 5 pm and then subsequently revised to 6:30 pm.

For obvious reasons I declined to travel and got offloaded.
Old Dec 15, 16, 1:01 pm

What are my options to get on non AA airline if AA flights are getting delayed and all full due to weather?
Old Dec 16, 16, 4:51 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kaiotes View Post
What are my options to get on non AA airline if AA flights are getting delayed and all full due to weather?
Well, you can forget Delta. AA may put you on UA, or possibly AS depending on where you're at/trying to go.
Old Dec 16, 16, 7:53 pm
Suspended

AA LAX-PVG Canceled on 12/16, Mechanical?

AA 183 cancelled today, the very competitive route between the other two legacy airlines from LAX. Anyone know the reason? Its not like United where they actually post the reason on their website. If my memory is accurate, this flight has a habit of cancelling quite a bit, seems there are more reliable airlines to get you to China from LAX.

Upon further analysis, AA runs the LAX-PVG flight on a 777 that still has recliner seats in J? Could that really be possible? Talk about living in the past.
Old Dec 16, 16, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL DM; AA EXP, 1MM
Yes, it was b/c of maintenance.
Old Dec 16, 16, 9:12 pm

At 1 pm there was an awful long line to lax cs desk so i assume it got cancelled after several delays (typical of aa). Of course by then other nonstops were gone too so folks were stuck at lax...
Old Dec 17, 16, 4:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA Gold, Accor, Honors Diamond and lots more....
AA203 is cancelled today from AMS to PHL

No idea why.
Old Dec 17, 16, 7:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
AA3784 (ORD-FNT) 12/16 Pilot Declared an Emergency

I was on this flight last night. First time I've ever been in this situation. Considering the weather in the midwest yesterday, I'm super surprised this flight flew. Here's the timeline:

Original departure was scheduled for 4:45PM, just as the snow was beginning to come down. Our pilot ended up coming in on a delayed flight, which pushed us back to 5:10PM, then 5:25PM. They made an announcement around 5:30PM that our pilot was taxiing to a gate, then around 5:45PM, they announced that he was parked at a gate and they had authorization to board the flight with the first officer and flight attendant on board. We boarded.

Around 5:50PM, the pilot shows up, has to go through all his pre-flight stuff, do paperwork, etc. He finishes around 6:05PM, and we call for de-icing. We go through de-icing, and we taxi. As third in line for takeoff, it takes another 45 minutes or so to take off (Wheels up was 7:01PM)

About 20 minutes prior to landing, the captain comes on and says (Paraphrased):
"Ladies and gentlemen, we've got a notification up here in the cockpit that the motors on our flaps are not working properly. It's indicating they're working at half the speed they should be. There's also another notification that our anti-stall system is not working properly. I've gone ahead and called Flint to declare an emergency, just as a precaution. We should have a completely normal landing, but I don't want anyone to be concerned when you see all the firetrucks."

We hit the ground relatively hard (But not alarmingly hard), then we reverse-thrusted extremely hard, and there were probably 6 or 7 firetrucks waiting for us. A paramedic was standing on the jetbridge when we deplaned. The pilot handled the announcement and the landing well. Nobody on board seemed too scared, but after I got off the plane, I started thinking about the Continental flight 1713 incident, and I'm wondering: Was 45 minutes too long for us to wait between being de-iced and taking off in the middle of a snowstorm? Would this be the root cause of the flap problems, and could this very easily have been a lot worse?

I was scheduled on the same flight two days prior, and it was canceled due to snow in Flint that was MUCH lighter and MUCH shorter. I always joke that they cancel this flight if the wind blows in an unfavorable direction. I'm still kind of baffled that they didn't cancel this one. I wanted to pull the liveATC recording to hear what was said, but it appears the stream for KFNT has been offline since May.
Old Dec 18, 16, 5:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I'll take a stab at this....

When we de-ice there are are different types of fluids we use depending on the situation. Factors include outside temperature, type and intensity of precipitation falling that is prevailing at the time. I'm assuming you were sprayed with Type IV, so :45 is well within the holdover time allotted for anti-ice effectiveness. This is completely independent of any flap speed issue, not related at all.

As a pilot, a flap speed issue is not a big deal. I'll go as far and say I'd love it if they threw that softball at us in the simulators during recurrent training! However, flap irregularities are still considered part of the flight controls and any flight control malfunction for the most part automatically requires an emergency to be declared.

Not minimizing the circumstance because I've been in the back during a mechanical emergency before, I know it's not fun. But in reality, your situation was very manageable by the cockpit.
Old Dec 18, 16, 9:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by clubord View Post
Not minimizing the circumstance because I've been in the back during a mechanical emergency before, I know it's not fun. But in reality, your situation was very manageable by the cockpit.
I kind of thought this was the case, and again, nobody looked particularly scared. I think the pilot did an excellent job of explaining it to us (and landing the plane safely). My underlying concern after the fact was whether or not we waited too long after de-icing and whether or not that caused the flap speed issue. It seems that wasn't the case based on what you've said.

Thanks for your response.
Old Dec 18, 16, 11:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by josmul123 View Post
I kind of thought this was the case, and again, nobody looked particularly scared. I think the pilot did an excellent job of explaining it to us (and landing the plane safely). My underlying concern after the fact was whether or not we waited too long after de-icing and whether or not that caused the flap speed issue. It seems that wasn't the case based on what you've said.

Thanks for your response.
clubord, thanks for the clear reply. Concatenating possible flap deployment problems and stall warning system (Pitot issues? NG!) issues - best to get on the ground before gremlins begin take their seats on the wing.
Old Dec 20, 16, 10:20 am

Programs: AA PLT
AA 1456 MSP-PHX delayed 2 hrs. Any idea why? Didn't see any weather issues.

It's causing a pretty significant delay to AA 1597 SNA-PHX-BWI (my flight).

Search this Thread