Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
Why would they do that if the engine is otherwise functioning normally?
To reduce landing weight?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Sitting on the ground at DFW and captain just announced that he expects we will keep the same plane and leave in an hour after maintenance and refueling.

The generator problem was a non-emergent issue and did not effect the engines. Captain made it very clear that we were in no danger but that when we landed there would be fire trucks to greet us but that is standard procedure. I am sitting in 5L so cannot see back to the wings. The captain did not state that he would be dumping fuel but I assume he did so since we were at the beginning of a 13.5 hour flight.

Captain and crew have been great and very communicative. Crew have brought around snack basket and fruit bowl as we sit on the plane.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
They probably have not shut down an engine, but it is VERY possible that they are dumping. With an overweight landing, special inspections must be done before the plane can fly again. So, unless it is an emergency situation, overweight landings are usually avoided.

Just read the update by the OP! Glad they are safe. Sounds like they did dump some fuel so that they were not overweight.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
To reduce landing weight?
Turning the engine off makes it lighter? Huh, you learn something new every day.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:54 pm

The flight attendant just checked with the captain and says that we did not dump any fuel. Landing was beautiful - very soft. Seemed like we were on a longer approach.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:59 pm

"Why is there no electricity?"
"I have been to the electric house. Lawrence. There are three large machines."
"He means generators!"
"One of them is burning."
"They are of incredible size, but helpless."
"It is so of all machines!"...

(From the movie "Lawrence of Arabia". Sorry, I got carried away.)
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:21 pm

Just realized that I should have been posting to the "2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)" thread instead of starting a new one. Not sure how to alert a moderator to make the move. Sorry for any breach of etiquette.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
Just realized that I should have been posting to the "2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)" thread instead of starting a new one. Not sure how to alert a moderator to make the move. Sorry for any breach of etiquette.
You can use the red exclamation mark next to any post in the thread to alert a moderator.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Generators aren't engines. The 777 actually has six different generators. One on each engine, one backup on each engine, the APU gen, and the RAT gen. I'd wager this is more about ETOPS minimum equipment requirements than the aircraft suffering any serious sort of malfunction.
Isn't DFW-PEK a 788? Not a 77E?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
Turning the engine off makes it lighter? Huh, you learn something new every day.
No, dumping the fuel, which is what I thought you were asking about, makes it lighter.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
AA FLT#535 to PHX is canceled

Hi All,

I hear what happened for my cousins' flight and the flight is canceled. The flight#AA535 from SJD to PHX. Do you know what happened the flight? Is that mechanical problems? They texting me on whatsapp on my iPhone. When I rode on the city bus and I found out about the flight. I went to Sky Harbor airport today and I talks with AA ticket agent and she checking with my cousins' flight. She told me the flight is canceled. They will put on next flight out tomorrow afternoon. They are flying to LAX and then LAS. Oh well! I am very disappointed. They won't flying out tonight.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Cancelled due to aircraft maintenance.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Cancelled due to aircraft maintenance.
Oh, thanks! I appreciate your helps and I just told them onto whatsapp. I letting them know what happened the flight today.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by blueslip
As I was told, maintenance issue grounded the aircraft for this flight bound for Sao Paolo. The flight was scheduled to depart at 10PM and re-scheduled to depart on Aug. 5 at 9AM with ETA at around 6PM. I am on this flight and will definitely miss the opening ceremony of the Rio Olympics.
Did you follow-up and complain to AA? What was their response? Miles?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
My EZE flight from DFW is currently delayed until 12:10am (originally 8:45pm) and today's DFW-HKG was delayed 10 hours today and just left within the hour. Both appear to be mechanical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.