Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated-archived)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2016 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated-archived)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:04 pm

HKG has excellent free wifi across most of the airport, and it handles Skype calls nicely. Not to defend AA in any way, but in future, do not spend $3/minute. Skype calls to US toll-free numbers are free.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
HKG has excellent free wifi across most of the airport, and it handles Skype calls nicely. Not to defend AA in any way, but in future, do not spend $3/minute. Skype calls to US toll-free numbers are free.
You beat me to it. Skype is a must-have app, and many major airports now have free WiFi making it an easy option in situations like this.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Microwave
You beat me to it. Skype is a must-have app, and many major airports now have free WiFi making it an easy option in situations like this.
Good to know, but not helpful at this point.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Why, you're gonna stop flying internationally as a result of this trip?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:32 am
Suspended

File complaint with DOT. Teach those mean airlines a lesson
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
And Skype World Unlimited Plan if one flies internationally.

OP. So it looks like you can still go to BKK, but it's just in X(Economy) instead of U(Business). In that case, you must demonstrate to AA when you confirm the ticket, you need to show AA why it was their fault.(eTicket clearly showed business class when incorrect fare code was used, etc.)

I hope DFWI would be able to help you. Good luck.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
As much to know how to react next time as to lament what happened last time.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
OP, you say you were stuck in the transit area. Are you talking about the lower level of HKG arrival? You could have shown a printout of your itinerary to any of the security checks and go to the CX lounge to sort out the problem more comfortably and probably also get a more sympathetic help from CX, possibly having them handle the call to AA.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
2 hour delay compensation due to mx

On AA769 tonight and we have been delayed close to 2 hour due to a problem arming one of the doors. They gave us a new plane and we're waiting now. Not saying I'm entitled to compensation but just wondering if any will be offered by American. I upgraded to F at check-in. So I really have no complaints
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:44 pm

Back in the day they would sometimes do so proactively; not so sure about anymore. Fire off a quick note through the online form and they'll probably give you 5000-7500ish miles.

I know that not everyone shares this opinion but any time I run into a mechanical delay I do like to send in a feedback form. Not a crazy rant, but just saying I choose AA to get me from A to B and reliability matters, and I was disappointed by the problem. Maybe it gets me labeled as a chronic complainer, but on the other hand if it does any good in reminding AA that operational performance matters to its customers, then I feel like I'm doing my duty in that regard.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
AA keeps records, I for one would not ask, you paid for a safe flight, they had every right to delay the departure.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by satman40
AA keeps records, I for one would not ask, you paid for a safe flight, they had every right to delay the departure.
That's not really relevant. OP was inconvenienced by a significant mechanical delay, and has every right to complain or ask for compensation. Maintenance and mechanical issues are generally regarded as events within an airline's control.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Old AA would have proactively sent you some miles into your account.

New AA fka US Airways won't give you a damn thing.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
About 2 months ago, LAX-JFK there was about a 3 hour delay- mechanical. My partner (PLT) and I (EXP) each received 5000 miles within 48 hours- without asking.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Date: 29 JAN 2016
Flight: 945 DFW-SCL
AAdvantage Status: EXP
Fare class: C (upgrade from Y)
What happened: 10 hour overnight MX
Compensation: Hotel and meal vouchers, 8,000 miles proactively deposited
Comments: I've had similar delays in the past and received significantly more miles. Dougie effect?

UPDATE: After sending a mostly complimentary email to AA regarding how the delay was handled (from my perspective, at least), an additional 7,000 miles were deposited to my account. So total RDM compensation is 15,000 miles, which ain't bad, in my book.

Last edited by zpaul; Feb 4, 2016 at 8:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.