Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated-archived)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2016 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated-archived)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:57 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing 2016 compensation thread. /Moderator
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: Amex Cent, DE Plat, UA1K, Globalist, etc.
Originally Posted by aanswer
Not sure if AA will budge. We're the tickets booked with cash or miles? If booked on a card, nearly all cards should cover the $500.
These were cash tickets booked with AX Centurion. Any suggestions on how to approach?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 4:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
My wife and I had paid business class tickets on AA36 (DFW-MAD) and I had used SWUs to upgrade us to F on the three class 777-200. On the day of departure the aircraft was switched to a two-class refurbished 777-200 and we flew in J. Unprompted by me, a few days later we both got emails apologizing for not being able to fly in F and $300 vouchers.

Is that reasonable? Should I push for more? I frankly did find the new J seats narrow, and the crew was caught off guard by the change, so service was a mess. But it may have been anyway since it was led by a nasty old crone who accused my wife of "stealing" her first water bottle when she asked for another and snapped at me when I asked if there were any snacks midflight. I think the meal was probably the same, because we had the same entree choices from which I had already pre-ordered.

I still have to call to get the SWUs redeposited, but I will likely have no good use for them before they expire in February.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
deleted
Old Jan 8, 2016, 4:23 pm

-This week, ~2500 mile domestic F flight on 737-8 (ugh!)
-EXP
-Paid discount F
-Recline broken on seat
-20,000 miles awarded
-Kind of stunned at how many miles they gave!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
what compensation are we entitled to?

After sitting on the tarmac for three+ hours our flight was canceled because the pilots expired. AA couldn't find sub-pilots so the 6pm flight got canceled shortly after 10pm. MIA-MBJ flight #2175. After de-boarding we were taken to a remote E gate with one agent. The flight was canceled about an hours later. I would like to know what compensation is available to us. We spent the whole night in AAdmirals club D and re-scheduled the following day AM.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:19 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flyer121
After sitting on the tarmac for three+ hours our flight was canceled because the pilots expired. AA couldn't find sub-pilots so the 6pm flight got canceled shortly after 10pm. MIA-MBJ flight #2175. After de-boarding we were taken to a remote E gate with one agent. The flight was canceled about an hours later. I would like to know what compensation is available to us. We spent the whole night in AAdmirals club D and re-scheduled the following day AM.
What credit card did you use to book the flight? If you used a Citi AAdvantage co-branded card or a CSP, you would be eligible for reimbursement from the card's travel insurance (starting for a 3 hour delay with some Citi cards, or a 12 hour delay with Chase cards and the rest of Citi's offerings).

What did American blame as the cause of the original delay?

Was it a mechanical issue, or a weather-related delay of the inbound flight? American has more obligation to you as a passenger in the former, as opposed to the latter.

In any case, my last experience with AA was a delayed MIA-LGA inbound that caused a four-hour delay of the last flight out of LGA and a misconnect in DFW.

American gave me around 20k miles as a goodwill gesture. Considering that you were forced to spend the night at an Admirals Club, I would be surprised if they refused to offer you anything.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
what compensation are we entitled to?

What's the best email contact for me to use regarding this matter? Thanks for all your help.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
After sitting on the tarmac for three+ hours our flight was canceled because the pilots expired.
The pilots died and you want compensation??

Another poster in another thread mentioned fog at MIA this morning, I think. Was it a weather delay that you experienced? If so, then you might not get anything for the delay. There's a "contact us" link on aa.com that you can use to send a note to AA and see what happens.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I did not know about the "airline delay" feature of the Citi cards. I'll have to check that out.

Anyone actually ever used this benefit? I noticed that compensation is not payable owing to government regulation issues. Does this mean grounds stops and the like?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hopefully the pilots didn't expire, but their legal authority to operate an aircraft did (timed out). If the former, my sympathies to their families.

As to compensation, you are not entitled to any. The US simply doesn't provide for any.

If the delay was caused by circumstances within AA's control, e.g., mechanical problems, AA agrees by contract to provide for hotels and food or reimbursement for those. If the delay was not caused by such delays, it's between you and your travel insurance (whether that's via CC or some other policy you maintain).

If you complete the webform on AA's website, AA will sometimes toss you a few miles, although it won't be many. Those won't be as compensation, but as a simple gesture (unless there was something AA did wrong here, which it doesn't sound as though it did).

For future planning, it really pays to know in advance what you have for coverage. Why spend the night stuck at an AC if you had insurance which would have paid for dinner, a nice hotel and breakfast?

Even if you don't have coverage, many properties have "distressed traveler" rates. Late at night near airports, they know they won't be able to rent rooms, so they are will provide you with a room at a deep discount if you can commit to being out by some early time the next AM.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
MIA was fogged in last night and early this morning. At almost 12:30PM today there are still 763s and 777s stranded at TPA. AA is trying to get replacement crews to TPA to fly a/c and paxs back to MIA. The TPA AC looks like a refugee camp. Most of the diversions are not scheduled to leave TPA well after 2PM. I've given up trying to stream a movie its so loud in the AC.

OP was lucky that the AC stayed open all night. Usually with weather it won't. I doubt other than some token miles OP should expect much in the way of compensation.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
You are not entitled to compensation for delays or cancelations due to weather issues. You are entitled to cancel your ticket and get a refund, if that is what you want.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by VolansFortunae
American gave me around 20k miles as a goodwill gesture. Considering that you were forced to spend the night at an Admirals Club, I would be surprised if they refused to offer you anything.
MIA was fogged in. This is hardly something to blame the airline for. The airline wasn't to blame, so compensation should not be expected. How were they "forced" to spend the night in the AC? Were there no hotels at all in Miami?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by mvoight
MIA was fogged in. This is hardly something to blame the airline for. The airline wasn't to blame, so compensation should not be expected. How were they "forced" to spend the night in the AC? Were there no hotels at all in Miami?
If flights were cancelled and delayed it is quite unlikely many free hotel rooms would be available. Sounds like AA decided to keep one of the clubs open to accommodate passengers for just this reason. And to keep passengers at the terminal so they could be rounded up and boarded quickly when flights resume.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.