Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated-archived)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2016 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated-archived)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Thanks for your replies!

Originally Posted by jspira
Trying to find where you were denied boarding in this story...
I was on a couple of AA flights the past two years, and whenever they voluntarily or involuntarily bump off passengers to a later flight, they seem to always call the compensation as "denied boarding." I guess because they were in some way "denied boarding" on the original flight.

On this occasion, I did ask the DFW desk for an alternate flight, but the agent said LAX staff would "take care of it." On arrival, I was handed the rebooked tickets, without being given any say/ option. The agent then told me all computers were already "closed."
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Just reread your post and realized I forgot to address the hotel thing. You are most definitely entitled to compensation for that. It would have been (surprisingly) better if you booked a hotel on your own and sent them your receipt. They'd actually send you a check in the mail for that. But since you slept at the counter, it's a bit more subjective as to how much they owe you for that.
I thought of doing that but the only hotels available were closer to LA itself. I had a 3-4 hour window to "rest" before the CX counters opened that morning. I decided to camp out thinking I may be able to have CX "fix" the ticket, and in a way this plan paid off.

Had that voucher worked, I would have only had about 2-3 hours rest time there anyway.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Crew timeout may well have been weather related and thus you might have been owed nothing.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Was this a purchased or award flight? Being downgraded from Business to Economy should also be factored into the compensation, as well.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by BStrauss3
Crew timeout may well have been weather related and thus you might have been owed nothing.
I don't think crew would have timed out had the battery on that 757 not died twice! It was the same crew standing by for about 5 hours or so with us passengers.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Was this a purchased or award flight? Being downgraded from Business to Economy should also be factored into the compensation, as well.
I actually purchased a premium econ ticket on CX (booking classes, PY aboard CX and flex Y on AA). Upgrade to business was award.

I did ask the agent at the AA terminal in LAX if I wasn't entitled to any "upgrade" given AA does not have formal PY. And two separate agents told me that it is complicated in my case, but definitely, a PY on CX exchanged for a regular Y on AA is a "downgrade."

This same thing happened to me two years ago on a combined AA/CX ticket and the agent upgraded me to Business/ First.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:50 am

Date - 12/28 - 1/4 multiple issues
AAdvantage Status - No status, but I flew 23 segments in 2015. So close!
Fare class - Q
What happened: tl;dr version is that I had one canceled flight, a separate delayed flight, baggage hostage, and an accidentally canceled ticket.

I was on a multi-leg trip, Home - ORD - BDL - Home.

Monday 12/28 - Leaving ORD. Tons of flights were being canceled due to weather, but the flight to BDL was showing on time until 5 mins after boarding time. We were told that they were waiting on a flight attendant, and "as soon as a flight attendant arrives, you can board and take off." Flight gets canceled. The next available flight wasn't until Wednesday leaving from MKE. They would not return everyone's baggage, saying that bags would be sent on the next plane out to BDL. I was stuck for 2 nights with no clothes.

Wed 12/30 - Went from MKE to PHL. The connecting flight from PHL to BDL was delayed for over 4 hours, first due to maintenance, then again waiting on a pilot. After finally arriving in BDL with 3 days lost, I check my app to confirm my departure flight on 1/4. Guess what? I have no departure. It turns out that when the phone agent exchanged my ticket from Monday, they deleted my return. I called and had it rebooked.

Compensation - 7,500 miles

Comments - I wrote a long letter and requested $200 vouchers for each my partner and self, based on patterns in the 2015 compensation thread.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold
Date - 12/28/15
AAdvantage Status - Platinum
Fare class - Booked in F on an award
What happened: Was booked in F LAX-JFK on a MileSaver award. Was informed prior to boarding that I would be downgraded to J due to a broken seat, for which I was given a $500 voucher. Didn't press it at the time since I really didn't know what to expect, and the boarding area was a zoo with 6-7 people in line behind me.

My present complaint to AA was actually about the seat I was placed into in J, which was also broken (unable to recline fully and IFE remote unresponsive).

Compensation - 15,000 miles

Comments - Re: F-to-J downgrade: considering it was an award ticket, I wasn't expecting too much compensation but a $500 voucher isn't bad (I think). Anyone have thoughts on whether that's a reasonable or not amount?
Re: the broken J seat, I'm pretty happy with this, and also impressed with the response time from AA. Boilerplate "Request received" email in my inbox at 2:37 PM; email informing me of compensation in my inbox at 2:56 PM. Kudos to AA on this one.

Last edited by whatupbovice; Jan 5, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: Amex Cent, DE Plat, UA1K, Globalist, etc.
28hr delay and 10,000 miles comp

My wife and I were flying 1st BWI-MIA-CUN on 12/24. After a 530am boarding there was a mechanical at BWI. We were instructed to deplane and recover our luggage on "Carousel 9". The pilot did not apologize or commiserate. "I just fly 'em folks". The cancelled flight miraculously became uncancelled. As we went to check in again, the departure time changed from 10:30 to 11:30. It was explained to us that they had no mechanics in Baltimore and no parts. So the mechanics were coming from DCA and the part from LGA which had no direct service to BWI. And as soon as we walked from the counter, the departure time changed to 6:30pm then 7:30pm. We obviously missed every possible connection to CUN. We overnights in MIA and finally arrived in CUN at 1230pm.

I wrote AA customer relations and asked for a refund equal to our out of pocket costs of $500 (upcharge on new car reservation and loss of one night stay). They wrote back noting a placement of 10,000 miles in each my and my wife's Advantage account.

I wrote again and received a reply that this was fair. Does the FT community agree. It seems that maintaining an airport presence means having a mechanic, right. And maybe a good enough relationship to borrow a part from Southwest which hubs (flight was a 737-800 - same as Southwest). Throwing us out onto the street at baggage claim was super harsh as well.

Are there any suggestions as to where to take this from here?

Many thanks for any advice!!!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Not sure if AA will budge. We're the tickets booked with cash or miles? If booked on a card, nearly all cards should cover the $500.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by grazing
It seems that maintaining an airport presence means having a mechanic, right. And maybe a good enough relationship to borrow a part from Southwest which hubs (flight was a 737-800 - same as Southwest). Throwing us out onto the street at baggage claim was super harsh as well.
I will let other comments on what's fair/historical in the compensation portion. But regarding the bolded portion, I don't think it's reasonable to expect an airline to maintain an employed mechanic and parts availability at every station.

And a recommendation: on your communication with AA, avoid hyperbole such as 'throwing us out onto the street'. It's not going to help.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Airlines generally won't pay for the costs of a delay at your destination (nonrefundable reservations etc). aanswer has the right answer
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by rjw242
Airlines generally won't pay for the costs of a delay at your destination (nonrefundable reservations etc). aanswer has the right answer
AA should at least ALSO cover the extra costs incurred with the forced overnight in MIA (hotel, food and/or transportation).
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by akcae
AA should at least ALSO cover the extra costs incurred with the forced overnight in MIA (hotel, food and/or transportation).
Well, yes - and OP didn't mention those costs, so I assumed they were covered.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by akcae
Yes, that's part of contact of carriage or something. Send those receipts to AA or better yet, credit card company used for the flight and it'll be reimbursed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.