Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by david4455
I get quite confused by all the airline equipment numbers....so a search of my question has been futile.

We are in First on a SEA-DFW on a 32B. The seating chart does not look like the newer version.....hence my question.

We are confirmed in 2A/C. In the past we have enjoyed the bulkhead because we tend to get claustrophobic in row 2. Not all bulkheads are the same and on our last flight ( I think it was on Alaska) leg room was really tight.

Do A321 (32B) V2 bulkheads offer some decent leg room? ( Edit to add: the "proximity" warnings like on seatguru do not bother us as much as leg room)

Thanks.
"32B" means LAA A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices, including the A321T three class transcon, and the two class similarly setup interior A321S (your aircraft) and A321H (ETOPS Hawaiian service). "A321" is used in AA schedules for non-Sharklets older two class LUS A321-200s.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html. The link to the SeatGuru diagram is in the wikipost.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:30 pm

Wifi and streaming video on 767-300 to Europe

I understand there is wifi on the 767-300 ex RDU-LHR. Does this mean there is AVOD to personal devices in Coach? It sure would be nice.

Edit: Think I've found my answer: No

http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2014/03/07/american-airlines-unveils-new-767-300-cabin/

Last edited by zitsky; Feb 21, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:44 pm

Boarding order?

Is this (still) true about AA boarding order? I will be towards the back of the bus and I'm wondering how painful it will be.

Rear to Front (Air Canada, Alaska, American, British Airways, Continental, Frontier, JetBlue, Spirit, Virgin Atlantic)

American, as well as most domestic and international carriers, uses the standard Rear-to-Front boarding. Elites, followed by first and business class passengers, board first. Then, seats in the back of the plane are boarded followed by the middle section and then the front area.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
No, AA uses a random boarding order based on method of check in.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
No, AA uses a random boarding order based on method of check in.
Hmm. Based on method of check in? Do you mean by status?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by zitsky
Hmm. Based on method of check in? Do you mean by status?
Status and cabin of course determine the earlier boarding order, but Groups 2, 3, 4 are largely determined by check-in method: online, kiosk, agent, ...

See the wiki on this thread for more info:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-issues.html
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Status and cabin of course determine the earlier boarding order, but Groups 2, 3, 4 are largely determined by check-in method: online, kiosk, agent, ...

See the wiki on this thread for more info:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-issues.html
Thanks for the link. Much appreciated!!
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by steviewire
I have never booked award travel before. Anyway on 18 Feb I put an award itinerary on hold (until 23 Feb). I also put a normal booking on hold for 24 hours at the same time.

The next night I paid for the paid flights and also paid for the taxes and charges etc on the award flights. My paid flight has now been ticketed but the award flight now states 'on request'. Can anyone confirm or point me in the direction of what the 'on request' means and how long should I wait until ticketed?

For info the award itiniery, one flight BA the rest AA.

Thanks
Now sorted my query on award flight booking, I rang AA and was ticketed an hour or so later. Thanks for help.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Not sure if this is the right place.

With devaluation coming up if I place an award on hold on March 20th and then go purchase on March 25th will I pay the mileage of pre or post devaluation?

Many thanks
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:47 am

Through ticketing / baggage for part award and part cash intinerary

I am flying LHR-SYD in QF F on an AA award. Arrives early morning.

If I purchase a QF J ticket from SYD to AKL leaving that evening, can I get my hold baggage sent all the way through, and avoid having to check in again in SYD ? Is this within the power of the check in desk at LHR ?

Also, any chance I'll get into the QF first class lounge at SYD before the evening flight, if I'm still clutching proof that I arrived in F earlier that day ?

Many thanks.....
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
What is the booking class AA will book a passenger flying on a business class award from the states to many GCC cities connecting via Doha that QR operates only F & Y on these routes?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
Is this (still) true about AA boarding order? I will be towards the back of the bus and I'm wondering how painful it will be.

Rear to Front (Air Canada, Alaska, American, British Airways, Continental, Frontier, JetBlue, Spirit, Virgin Atlantic)

American, as well as most domestic and international carriers, uses the standard Rear-to-Front boarding. Elites, followed by first and business class passengers, board first. Then, seats in the back of the plane are boarded followed by the middle section and then the front area.
Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-issues.html for current information; read the wikipost at the top of the page.

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Not sure if this is the right place.

With devaluation coming up if I place an award on hold on March 20th and then go purchase on March 25th will I pay the mileage of pre or post devaluation?

Many thanks
Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...posit-not.html

Originally Posted by warberry
I am flying LHR-SYD in QF F on an AA award. Arrives early morning.

If I purchase a QF J ticket from SYD to AKL leaving that evening, can I get my hold baggage sent all the way through, and avoid having to check in again in SYD ? Is this within the power of the check in desk at LHR ?

Also, any chance I'll get into the QF first class lounge at SYD before the evening flight, if I'm still clutching proof that I arrived in F earlier that day ?

Many thanks.....
It's likely you will be able to check your baggage through using two oneworld airlines.

Under oneworld rules, arriving in F and departing on another one world flight the same day, you will have access.

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
What is the booking class AA will book a passenger flying on a business class award from the states to many GCC cities connecting via Doha that QR operates only F & Y on these routes?
Normally these will drop to Coach.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:05 pm

I'm looking to book an Etihad F award before the devaluation next month, but the only route I can really find availability that works with my dates (mid-October) on the A380 is between AUH and LHR. Ideally, I'd like to use an extra 20k miles for an extra 6 hours of flying between AUH and SYD. I just compared with availability for this week and there are 5 (!!!) Etihad Guest seats available for AUH-SYD on the A380 on Thursday.

Does anybody have any experience booking first class on the 777 then watching that date like a hawk and having availability on the A380 open up? Obviously it's all speculation but just curious if anybody has had luck with it in the past!

Any opinions on business class on either aircraft would also be appreciated!
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:15 pm

A flight from LAS-LAX, on an A321...
is this a legacy AA flight, or a legacy US flight?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingFitzMe
I'm looking to book an Etihad F award before the devaluation next month, but the only route I can really find availability that works with my dates (mid-October) on the A380 is between AUH and LHR. Ideally, I'd like to use an extra 20k miles for an extra 6 hours of flying between AUH and SYD. I just compared with availability for this week and there are 5 (!!!) Etihad Guest seats available for AUH-SYD on the A380 on Thursday.

Does anybody have any experience booking first class on the 777 then watching that date like a hawk and having availability on the A380 open up? Obviously it's all speculation but just curious if anybody has had luck with it in the past!

Any opinions on business class on either aircraft would also be appreciated!
For the former, you may wish to read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

I recommend the Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest forum for these latter questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.