Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
If you go to "Your Account," scroll down to the "Activity and Upgrades" section, and then click on the tab for "Upgrades," you should see your SWU and sticker upgrade balance.
^

Thanks for the quick heads-up.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I am AirBerlin Gold (=OW Sapphire).

My question is this: on either existing or future reservations, can I use my AB # to get MCE seats for free and then at some point change the number (while keeping the seats) to my AS MVP #?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
Stupid question.

I found a cheap ticket to SFO I am doing tomorrow for a miles run (DFW-SFO)
Flt 2207 DFW-SFO

Return flight is also Flight 2207 SFO to DFW

I know if I fly point A to point C with a stop at point B if it is all the same flight number, I will get the same miles as Point A to point C regardless of where point B is.

I am assuming (I hope) that is not the case with the flight I am doing tomorrow
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jcrossen
Stupid question.

I found a cheap ticket to SFO I am doing tomorrow for a miles run (DFW-SFO)
Flt 2207 DFW-SFO

Return flight is also Flight 2207 SFO to DFW

I know if I fly point A to point C with a stop at point B if it is all the same flight number, I will get the same miles as Point A to point C regardless of where point B is.

I am assuming (I hope) that is not the case with the flight I am doing tomorrow
you're fine in round-trip tickets, the same flight number rule only applies in one direction
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90
you're fine in round-trip tickets, the same flight number rule only applies in one direction
Thanks, that is what I figured, I just noticed the same flight numbers now as I was checking in. Otherwise, I guess I would end up with 0 miles, which makes 0 sense
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fare class definitions on AA.com state

"Y and B Classes. These fares qualify Elite AAdvantage members to request a complimentary upgrade to a higher class of service. Also included in this class are limited inventory unrestricted economy fares that allow for travel in the next higher cabin offered."

but the link within only links to 500-mile upgrades and doesn't really explain

so say I have the following situation

DFW-YVR on a BA-coded AA-operated flight in B (so, full-fare eco) and I'm AA Plat

Can I get upgraded? My thought process is (no, unless you pay miles) but for a flight like that it's kind of pointless and the "upgrade on BA with miles" chart doesn't include prices for NA domestic flights so I'm just wholly confused.

also, for the sake of upgrading with miles, would a World Traveller Plus fare in T (Premium Eco) count as upgradable Premium Eco (it states only W counts, so I'm inclined to say no), full fare Eco, discount Eco or nothing at all?

I mean, if you try to book Premium Eco but it's not available (as in DFW-YVR), you get booked into full-fare Eco (B), so I'd say T should count as B, but...... who knows.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The fare class definitions on AA.com state

"Y and B Classes. These fares qualify Elite AAdvantage members to request a complimentary upgrade to a higher class of service. Also included in this class are limited inventory unrestricted economy fares that allow for travel in the next higher cabin offered."

but the link within only links to 500-mile upgrades and doesn't really explain

so say I have the following situation

DFW-YVR on a BA-coded AA-operated flight in B (so, full-fare eco) and I'm AA Plat

Can I get upgraded? My thought process is (no, unless you pay miles) but for a flight like that it's kind of pointless and the "upgrade on BA with miles" chart doesn't include prices for NA domestic flights so I'm just wholly confused.
The complimentary upgrade processes the same as the 500 upgrades do, except no 500-mile upgrades are deducted. So T-72 for Plats. And IIRC they are sorted above other fare classes (within elite level) on the upgrade list.

But "Upgrades are valid on American Airlines or American Eagle marketed and operated flights".
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:43 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I am AirBerlin Gold (=OW Sapphire).

My question is this: on either existing or future reservations, can I use my AB # to get MCE seats for free and then at some point change the number (while keeping the seats) to my AS MVP #?
No one knows?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
The complimentary upgrade processes the same as the 500 upgrades do, except no 500-mile upgrades are deducted. So T-72 for Plats. And IIRC they are sorted above other fare classes (within elite level) on the upgrade list.

But "Upgrades are valid on American Airlines or American Eagle marketed and operated flights".

My problem with that phrasing is "marketed and operated", not "marketed or operated". The flight I'm looking at is BA-marketed, AA-operated...
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
My problem with that phrasing is "marketed and operated", not "marketed or operated". The flight I'm looking at is BA-marketed, AA-operated...
I believe that was swag's point - "domestic" 500-mile upgrades won't work because the flight isn't AA-marketed.

As you noticed, it's possible to use miles to upgrade BA-marketed, AA-operated flights booked in Y or B. However, this sentence from the T&C might invalidate that for your specific case:

Reservations booked through a source other than American Airlines must include at least one flight with an American Airlines flight number in order to be eligible (includes codeshare flights operated by British Airways or Iberia but booked as an American Airlines flight number.)
If you booked through BA, then you might be out of luck. However, there's no harm in calling AA and asking (if you're willing to spend the miles, of course).
Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA
Award booking question

I have never booked award travel before. Anyway on 18 Feb I put an award itinerary on hold (until 23 Feb). I also put a normal booking on hold for 24 hours at the same time.

The next night I paid for the paid flights and also paid for the taxes and charges etc on the award flights. My paid flight has now been ticketed but the award flight now states 'on request'. Can anyone confirm or point me in the direction of what the 'on request' means and how long should I wait until ticketed?

For info the award itiniery, one flight BA the rest AA.

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"how long should I wait until ticketed?"

How soon is the first flight on the award ticket?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)
Aug 11.
Thanks
"how long should I wait until ticketed?"

How soon is the first flight on the award ticket?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:49 am

Just checked my account and the ticket status has now changed to 'ticket pending' so will hopefully receive confirmation soon.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

A321 (32B) V2.... FC Bulkhead?

I get quite confused by all the airline equipment numbers....so a search of my question has been futile.

We are in First on a SEA-DFW on a 32B. The seating chart does not look like the newer version.....hence my question.

We are confirmed in 2A/C. In the past we have enjoyed the bulkhead because we tend to get claustrophobic in row 2. Not all bulkheads are the same and on our last flight ( I think it was on Alaska) leg room was really tight.

Do A321 (32B) V2 bulkheads offer some decent leg room? ( Edit to add: the "proximity" warnings like on seatguru do not bother us as much as leg room)

Thanks.

Last edited by david55; Feb 21, 2016 at 10:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.