Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by yydv
Hi all! Has anyone successfully been able to get the $75 close-in 21-day award ticket fee waived for AA? I heard the loophole doesn't work anymore.
What was the loophole?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I'm assuming that, at best, there will be three J award seats (or maybe two in J and one in F). If there are three award seats in J coming and going, only 330,000 AA miles total (before any rebate if one is a Citi/AAdvantage credit-card holder) are needed. If 265,000 miles are purchased on January 1, that would cover three outbound J seats, and (assuming a 10,000-mile credit-card rebate after purchasing the three outbound awards), two of the three required inbound awards. Then the spouse would only need to purchase 55,000 miles at the end of January, and redeem them for one of the inbound J awards.

The key question is whether there are the requisite number of J/F award seats available on the same flights.
You're absolutely right. We weren't shooting for First as that seems to be a fools errand when trying for 3 seats (plus, we're doing an Infant, and AA charges 10% of the cash price for that even with award travel, which on First fares adds up to a lot)

There are in fact 3x Business class seats available on our desired routing each way at the 55k rate. I put a 5 day hold on them just to be safe.

It's JL instead of CX, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

I'll then see if I can get on CX (I've heard CX is better, although I have no idea if this is true, and haven't researched extensively yet. I'm new to all this). I'll then either pull the trigger on the held seats, or if I find something better I'll do that instead.

And, *thank you* for mentioning the credit card rebate. I wasn't aware of this, and am now seeing if I can get signed up and a card number issued over the phone. Because I'll be buying miles (which post as a AA charge apparently), some part of me gleefully wonders if the 'double points on AA purchases' (which would translate into approx another 10k of miles) also applies if I purchase the miles on their branded card. And, the minimum spend will be instantly satisfied if so, which will give me another 50k eventually once it posts I suppose. Yikes!

Now that I have "something" locked in, I'm going to try forging ahead with a way to get the miles purchased (that darn 30 day rule is killing me! Hoping to argue my case tomorrow with them once I'm on what I consider to be day 30).

Originally Posted by williamdw
And, *thank you* for mentioning the credit card rebate. I wasn't aware of this, and am now seeing if I can get signed up and a card number issued over the phone. Because I'll be buying miles (which post as a AA charge apparently), some part of me gleefully wonders if the 'double points on AA purchases' (which would translate into approx another 10k of miles) also applies if I purchase the miles on their branded card. And, the minimum spend will be instantly satisfied if so, which will give me another 50k eventually once it posts I suppose. Yikes!
Annoyingly, Citi can't give out card numbers until the physical card arrives in 10 days, so I guess I can't pay for the miles with the card (grr!), however it does at least say "Your account is considered open as of today, 12/30/15." so I expect the rebate to work.

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 1, 2016 at 11:12 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I'm assuming that, at best, there will be three J award seats (or maybe two in J and one in F). If there are three award seats in J coming and going, only 330,000 AA miles total (before any rebate if one is a Citi/AAdvantage credit-card holder) are needed. If 265,000 miles are purchased on January 1, that would cover three outbound J seats, and (assuming a 10,000-mile credit-card rebate after purchasing the three outbound awards), two of the three required inbound awards. Then the spouse would only need to purchase 55,000 miles at the end of January, and redeem them for one of the inbound J awards.

The key question is whether there are the requisite number of J/F award seats available on the same flights.
You're absolutely right. We weren't shooting for First as that seems to be a fools errand when trying for 3 seats (plus, we're doing an Infant, and AA charges 10% of the cash price for that even with award travel, which on First fares adds up to a lot)

There are in fact 3x Business class seats available on our desired routing each way at the 55k rate. I put a 5 day hold on them just to be safe.

I'll then see if I can get on CX (I've heard CX is better, although I have no idea if this is true, and haven't researched extensively yet. I'm new to all this). I'll then either pull the trigger on the held seats, or if I find something better I'll do that instead.

Now that I have "something" locked in, I'm going to try forging ahead with a way to get the miles purchased (that darn 30 day rule is killing me! Hoping to argue my case tomorrow with them once I'm on what I consider to be day 30).
Were three SAAver seats also available (in any class) from BOI to and from your North American connecting point(s)?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

I'll then see if I can get on CX (I've heard CX is better, although I have no idea if this is true, and haven't researched extensively yet. I'm new to all this).
If you're in J on a route with SkySuites (SFO, LAX, DFW, ORD, JFK), I'd say it's better than CX J. However, any other route (YVR, SAN, BOS) and you have angled flat seats, in which case CX is definitely better.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:54 pm

Were three SAAver seats also available (in any class) from BOI to and from your North American connecting point(s)?
That's a good point, and something I omitted from my update. I got a little frustrated with their crazy ideas on how to get out of BOI (BOI>SEA>PHX>LAX was their best suggestion) that I decided I would get myself to LAX under my own steam.

In retrospect, I really should have posted that as part of the update, as it does of course have an effect on how easy/hard it is. My focus was on the expensive legs because those are (in my mind) the hard parts.. doing the shuttle hop to LA is so cheap and common to me that I sort of blanked it out as an actual step!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
If you're in J on a route with SkySuites (SFO, LAX, DFW, ORD, JFK), I'd say it's better than CX J. However, any other route (YVR, SAN, BOS) and you have angled flat seats, in which case CX is definitely better.

I'm currently on LAX>KIX>BKK. I see blogs from last year mentioning angled seats on this route, yet they also seem to claim they're upgrading the fleet. The JAL press release about the upgrades seems to just not mention the Osaka route at all in terms of if/when it's getting upgraded.

So I guess I should shoot for CX unless I can confirm SkySuites are on the LAX>KIX run (or will be by Q3 2016).
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

That's a good point, and something I omitted from my update. I got a little frustrated with their crazy ideas on how to get out of BOI (BOI>SEA>PHX>LAX was their best suggestion) that I decided I would get myself to LAX under my own steam.

In retrospect, I really should have posted that as part of the update, as it does of course have an effect on how easy/hard it is. My focus was on the expensive legs because those are (in my mind) the hard parts.. doing the shuttle hop to LA is so cheap and common to me that I sort of blanked it out as an actual step!
If you would consider driving from BOI to SLC, check to see if award seats -- even in Coach -- are available on AA's SLC-LAX flight, and add them to your existing hold. There might be no additional mileage to add on this segment (if JL publishes a SLC-BKK through-fare), and you'd get the benefit of through-checking your luggage. And, if you were later to decide to just fly BOI-LAX on your own dime, AA would let you drop the SLC-LAX and LAX-SLC segments without any change fees. (But if you were to drop those segments after the new award chart went into effect, I'm not sure if AA would then demand more miles from you.)
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:20 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm currently on LAX>KIX>BKK. I see blogs from last year mentioning angled seats on this route, yet they also seem to claim they're upgrading the fleet. The JAL press release about the upgrades seems to just not mention the Osaka route at all in terms of if/when it's getting upgraded.

So I guess I should shoot for CX unless I can confirm SkySuites are on the LAX>KIX run (or will be by Q3 2016).
You're right, LAX-KIX has angled flat seats. Sorry, I was thinking LAX-NRT.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I suppose to fly CX on an award ticket in F from CDG to CGK via HKG. HKG-CGK was having F cabin and suddenly CX switched EQPMT and assigned an aircraft without F cabin. When I asked AA to change the destination to SIN instead since CX does not offer F cabin on the previous route but has offered F cabin on the flight to SIN they demanded me $ 150 change fees!!!

Is that fee legitimate and in case I don't want to fly to CGK can I just not show on HKG-CGK sector without having any legal consequences or any problems with the HKG authority as they might flag me for future travel on CX?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I suppose to fly CX on an award ticket in F from CDG to CGK via HKG. HKG-CGK was having F cabin and suddenly CX switched EQPMT and assigned an aircraft without F cabin. When I asked AA to change the destination to SIN instead since CX does not offer F cabin on the previous route but has offered F cabin on the flight to SIN they demanded me $ 150 change fees!!!

Is that fee legitimate and in case I don't want to fly to CGK can I just not show on HKG-CGK sector without having any legal consequences or any problems with the HKG authority as they might flag me for future travel on CX?
If you're trying to change destinations simply because of an equipment change, I'm not surprised AA wanted to assess the $150 change fee (only waived for EXPs).

You could likely ask for a refund of the difference between F and J award miles.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer

The fee is legitimate as you're changing destinations from CGK to SIN. If CX had dropped F on your entire route or the long-haul portion then you would have more options. You can try calling again to see if a different AAgent will waive it, but I wouldn't expect it.

Is your CDG-HKG-CGK award one-way? If yes, then there is no fee to drop the last segment of an award since it's not changing the award type. Call AA.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Former US Silver, new AA Gold here...

Question, is there any way to differentiate between MCE and Preferred seats when booking via Concur? I was looking on a Regional plane (CLT-CHA) and looks like they pretty much all say the same thing about "make sure your status entitles you to this seat" but doesn't really differentiate. Looking at the AA site it shows just row 1 as MCE but is there any way to find that out without having to go to both AA's site and concur?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by 1k650
What was the loophole?
Until a few years ago, you could book an award flight for a random date that was 21+ days in the future (free), then make a date change an hour later (also free) to the date you actually wanted (inside 21 days). They loophole was closed when they started charging the same $75 expedite fee for date changes when the new flight date was less than 21 days from the original ticketing date.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Former US Silver, new AA Gold here...

Question, is there any way to differentiate between MCE and Preferred seats when booking via Concur? I was looking on a Regional plane (CLT-CHA) and looks like they pretty much all say the same thing about "make sure your status entitles you to this seat" but doesn't really differentiate. Looking at the AA site it shows just row 1 as MCE but is there any way to find that out without having to go to both AA's site and concur?
Are you trying to book and select seats? I normally skip seat selection when going through my corporate booking tool, and once the reservation is ticketed, go on the airline website, log in, and then select seats.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:01 pm

Gah!

After all that drama, AA just updated their website for 2016 to allow 200k miles per year instead of 150k (the 2015 limit) for purchase.

Assuming the sale continues as promised to Jan 4 (the site is down for updates now) with the same bonus structure, then 200k would net a 140k bonus (150k got you 115k as of last night, so I'm assuming 200k would scale as well upwards).

I may have been better off just waiting until 2016, although of course there was no way to know that in advance.

It's almost as if AA is trying to make money off of us by keeping things opaque

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.