Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2016 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

2016 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
Sounds like a double-catered continental breakfast with a "choice" of cereal. There are no hot meals offered because AA is too cheap to pay for catering at ORF.
Out curiosity, in these double cater stations, what passes for "shelf stable" lunch and dinner meals?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:41 am

Sorry but what is a double-catered continental breakfast?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Someone will post a link back to a picture in a prior post but it's cereal/granola, some type of breakfast bar, and shelf-stable room temperature milk.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by SFO777
This. Same deal in PIT, SMF and CLE among other stations.

I love the "choose later" option.
There are definitely some out stations where catering is not at all available. PIT, SMF and CLE probably are not those, but I wouldn't be surprised if ORF, where for a long time AA was the only mainline carrier, is.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Out curiosity, in these double cater stations, what passes for "shelf stable" lunch and dinner meals?
Someone can certainly correct me here if I'm wrong about this, but I believe the lunch and dinner options are the usual domestic fare and can be double catered on the inbound flight without perishing whereas the breakfasts would be sitting overnight on the ground.

Originally Posted by travel4b
Basically it's only shelf-stable products catered on the inbound flight the night before.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
LGA-ORD
AVOD at seat
450pm Dinner flight

Nuts drinks and hot towels

Shrimp and grits or the five cheese tortellini. Neither were onboard as there was a catering mistake so the only option was the Asian chicken salad. FA came to me specifically to make sure that was OK since I had preordered but she didn't do that to anyone else that I could tell.

No PDB since we were late

Linens pre-placed on the tray!

No cookies.....just the Eagle cheesecake on the tray....did we get a meal flight that should have been ATL?!

Amazing we are at ORD given the snow here right now.

Edited with photo of our miscater: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...6-img-0358.jpg
I love the Asian chicken salad and would have it every meal if so offered! So many of the new meals have so much sauce ! Yuk !
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AA 1455 ORD-RDU 0840-11:30

No PDB

Choice of french toast strata or egg strata. Potatoes were okay, sausage good and the egg thing was fine but it didn't really taste like anything. Biscuits or raisin bread were also offered.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by United747
I seem to always get the apple cinnamon. Haven't seen raspberry in almost a year.
My last two Eagle flights out of ORD have had raspberry. I agree though, some variety in chips/popcorn flavors would be nice (as would fresh fruit, but that's probably too much to ask)
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
Someone can certainly correct me here if I'm wrong about this, but I believe the lunch and dinner options are the usual domestic fare and can be double catered on the inbound flight without perishing whereas the breakfasts would be sitting overnight on the ground.

Basically it's only shelf-stable products catered on the inbound flight the night before.
There really aren't any mainline meal catered flights from out stations that lack catering in the afternoon and evening it's only for breakfast flights as the plane RONs at that airport. The later lunch/dinner/snack flights get double catered from the hub. But seriously there are so few cities AA doesn't have catering its really a non-issue but I get the frustration for people who either live within or frequent those cities.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by travel4b
Here's a photo of the shelf-stable double-catered continental breakfast, ex-SXM. They're pretty much all the same, in my experience.

-FlyerBeek

Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
RDU-DFW

RDU-DFW AA 168
2/11/16
DINNER

An hour late due to a late inbound aircraft and no PDB

Once in the air, Karen was quick to take orders. Choice of Shrimp and Grits or pasta in a four cheese sauce (as described by Karen, but not quite accurate).

Name:  Dinner.JPG
Views: 574
Size:  91.8 KB

It was quite tasty and followed with the overused choc chip cookie.

Overall service was great. All three F/A's were passing through the cabin regularly for refills.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I know the West coast (SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX)-DFW/ORD red-eye flights just get the usual snack basket, but do they also get the continental breakfast box like the transcon red-eye flights?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
There are definitely some out stations where catering is not at all available. PIT, SMF and CLE probably are not those, but I wouldn't be surprised if ORF, where for a long time AA was the only mainline carrier, is.
Actually, all the airlines have had mainline service to ORF for as long as I can remember, but ORF-DFW is their longest nonstop. Thanks for educating me on what double catering is. It's just hard to believe that they can't come up with a nicer double catered breakfast than that granola spread.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold
What is served at flights that are 900-1299 miles but depart between 1:30-4:00. I am booked on aa 1703 departing at 3:55, and based on what I can get for food will make the difference between I try for a sticker upgrade or not.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by TWAL10114Ever
RDU-DFW AA 168
2/11/16
DINNER

An hour late due to a late inbound aircraft and no PDB

Once in the air, Karen was quick to take orders. Choice of Shrimp and Grits or pasta in a four cheese sauce (as described by Karen, but not quite accurate).

Attachment 1848

It was quite tasty and followed with the overused choc chip cookie.

Overall service was great. All three F/A's were passing through the cabin regularly for refills.
Exact same meal options last week mia-bos. Nothing special but not bad either in terms of the pasta/salad. The crew was off though in terms of timing/flow. AA really still needs a lot of work on training and consistency with the inflight crews ( and this was a legacy AA crew).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.