Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Combined AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Combined AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Thanks. So in short, I can expect it to be catered like any domestic flight?
I would guess so. Just flew DFW-BOG (over 5 hours) and catering in J was identical to a midcon.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by surftb15
Spinach and Frisee Salad. This is how it looked before I took a bite??? Wow, going for "great" AA.

Certainly not worth 7k a ticket. and feel sorry if anyone pays that out of pocket.
The double salad strikes again! Seriously, what moron thinks up this stuff? And in intercontinental J nonetheless...
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ACA321
I'm flying on AA 70 and 71 (DFW-FRA-DFW) in a couple of weeks. I booked into Business, then used SWUs to upgrade to First- equipment is an older version 777-200. When updating my meal selection, I was surprised to notice that the exact SAME menu us offered in F as in J, in both directions. So, aside from the larger seat in F, exactly what is the difference between the two products? I was thinking there'd at least be some upgrades on the meals...are there more appetizers/desserts to choose from in F vs. J? Better wines?

Starting to think it wasn't worth burning two SWUs, although I'd be left with them by the end of the year anyway so it's kind of moot....haven't flown AA F before so wondering what to expect meal-wise here.
In the old 772 the biggest difference is that J has the slanted seats while F has the flagship suites. Forget about the food differences, the seat difference is well worth the SWU (IMO).
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by ACA321
I'm flying on AA 70 and 71 (DFW-FRA-DFW) in a couple of weeks. I booked into Business, then used SWUs to upgrade to First- equipment is an older version 777-200. When updating my meal selection, I was surprised to notice that the exact SAME menu us offered in F as in J, in both directions. So, aside from the larger seat in F, exactly what is the difference between the two products? I was thinking there'd at least be some upgrades on the meals...are there more appetizers/desserts to choose from in F vs. J? Better wines?

Starting to think it wasn't worth burning two SWUs, although I'd be left with them by the end of the year anyway so it's kind of moot....haven't flown AA F before so wondering what to expect meal-wise here.
I had seen the same entree but completely different presentation from @tom911 's pictures. I assumed that is the difference between F and J.

Same "beef filet" dish -

Probably J:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/American-...rier/i-7NLDNcc

Probably F:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/American-...rier/i-BK4vmVT
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Jicko
Recommendations needed:

(1)
---------------

LAX->NRT (AA169)

Entrée
Grilled yellowtail Yu-an yaki, taro potato, carrot, green beans and potato

Spinach Stuffed Ravioli
Topped with smoked Gouda crème

Coffee Crusted Beef Filet
With red wine sauce, roasted potatoes and sautéed spinach

Sesame Crusted Salmon
With yuzu cream sauce, steamed red rice, ginger spaghetti squash, carrots and snap peas

Roasted Duck Breast
With curry lime sauce, coconut jasmine rice, broccolini and peppers

Japanese Meal
Traditional Japanese Meal meticulously prepared following ancient cultural guidelines

---------------

With the Japanese Meal being offered on this flight, I am leaning towards that. Anything else worth a try? Travelling with 2 kids, so, I get to order more to try..... what's good for kids? Sucks that AA don't have kid's meal.
Originally Posted by rjw242
I quite like the Japanese meal, but have only had it out of NRT so I don't know if there's a difference in content or quality ex-US. Bear in mind it's fairly heavy on the fish (which I like, but some don't).
Thanks for your response. I am going to "risk" it. I am going with 3 japanese meals and 1 roast duck (any idea if that is good?). Fish or seafood heavy is fine by us. Our whole thing about going to Tokyo is to "eat" and "seafood" is top of our list.

I can't believe that weird AA169 food offering..... 2 fish dishes: Grilled yellowtail Yu-an yaki & Sesame Crusted Salmon. I guess, catering to Japanese/Asian....

But if I wasn't trying to use my SWU, I almost have absolutely no reason to fly AA, the food on JAL's J on their 787 is something to be cherish and to look back onto!! ^
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
That's international business class. I never fly AA international first and they do not run three class service from JFK to Madrid.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Originally Posted by tom911
Here's a photo of that entree from 2015.
Thanks for posting that, I may change. That looks disgusting. My sides listed are different that the photo. With olive oil mashed potatoes, grilled zucchini and tomato marinara sauce. I'm eating healtier this year and thought the cod would be a better option, maybe not. I'm not a big fan of fresh fish, let alone on a plane. None of those options looked that great.

I hope to be able to post on the MIA-MAD for Friday. Waitlisted for the upgrade. EF showing 15 empty seats.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
In the old 772 the biggest difference is that J has the slanted seats while F has the flagship suites. Forget about the food differences, the seat difference is well worth the SWU (IMO).
Yeah that's what I figured when applying the SWU- the seat is certainly the driving factor. Just surprised they don't offer substantially upgraded food...if I were to pay for F, the price is $15,000! Any sucker paying that price certainly deserves better meal offerings though...probably a question for another thread, but I wonder how many people actually buy international F tickets on AA vs. upgraders to the F cabin.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:16 am

I had seen the same entree but completely different presentation from @tom911 's pictures. I assumed that is the difference between F and J.

Same "beef filet" dish -

Probably J:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/American-...rier/i-7NLDNcc

Probably F:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/American-...rier/i-BK4vmVT
So, tom911, both of the above are J? Thanks for the correction! Is the difference due to "international" J vs "long haul domestic" J OR the difference between the "1 tray meal" vs "courses" presentation?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
So, tom911, both of the above are J?
Yes. The only AA/One World flights I've done in international F recently have been on Cathay, and I'm never in the F cabin SFO-JFK. The photos you linked are transcon business (3 class plane) and international business (2 class plane).

Is the difference due to "international" J vs "long haul domestic" J OR the difference between the "1 tray meal" vs "courses" presentation?
I can't say I really pay attention to those aspects of service. I'm just happy that I can select an entree when my upgrade clears far enough out.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Does anyone know if the Japanese Meal is still reservable by J pax on NRT flights? Is it still as good as it used to be?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by trekker954
I'm not a big fan of fresh fish, let alone on a plane.
Don't worry, it's never particularly fresh
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Does anyone know if the Japanese Meal is still reservable by J pax on NRT flights? Is it still as good as it used to be?
Yes it is still reserve-able. I am flying AA169 LAX->NRT next week. I will report back on the quality after the flight.

I "heard" that the ones departing NRT/HND is better than the ones going to NRT/HND (actually, HND service hasn't started yet, it will start 2/11). But given that there is a large japanese population and JAL operation in Torrance (just south of LAX), I am hopeful that the meals from LAX->NRT would still be "OK". We'll see. I am betting on it, ordering 3 japanese out of our 4 people meals.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
LAX-LHR
AA 108
77W
January 29, 2016
Business Class

Menu and Food photos

The salad and starter were great. Nice presentation and perfect amount of balsamic on the portobello starter.

The beef main course was excellent. The beef, potatoes and demi-glace all had unique flavours and the beef itself was cooked perfectly (not always easy). One of the best dinner meals I've had in the past year.

The Cookies and cream ice cream was a nice finish, although a bit bland.

I chose this for breakfast, no breads/rolls or coffee etc. It was just right.

Last edited by 24left; Feb 2, 2016 at 1:44 pm
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
LAX-LHR
AA 108
77W
January 29, 2016
Business Class

Mid-flight mid-galley snacks

i was quite impressed with the wide variety of choices ranging from packaged gourmet snacks to fresh sandwiches (mini-wraps), fruit or pudding parfaits,as well as fresh fruit.

The min-lemon tart and cheesecake square were very nice.

EDIT: These were a couple of items from the mid-flight snack selection on AA 109 LHR-LAX

(apologies for the blue hue, forgot to use the flash.)

Last edited by 24left; Feb 2, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.